PDA

View Full Version : Wall tent stove

we3grants
10-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Can anyone supply some info on what to look for or how to choose one. I have a 12x14 and looking for a stove. Thanks.

bigwhiteys
10-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I have a 14'x14' and I don't even know what the name of my stove is. My dad said you can get it at any hardware store.

It keeps that 14'x14' roasting hot (too hot sometimes) and there is enough room to cook on it as well.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Downwindtracker2
10-04-2006, 10:22 AM
It's called a tin airtight heater.Most northern hardware stores or co-ops have them.They are a oval sheet metal stove.Mine is called 22".

Having used one for heat in my cabin,there some rules to them.Every winter some family got burned out, thanks to those stoves.

-Put a damper on the first stove pipe above it ,once the fire gets going close it.
-stove pipe goes male into the stove,the cresote drips into the stove that way.
-never run them red hot,they are for a smoldering fire.
-put an inch layer of sand,dirt,ash or on the bottom to keep from burning through.I use floordry from work now.

A heavy pair of welding gloves makes feeding the fire less painful.You pack-em full.And feed beer to your hunting partner so he has to get up during the night.

bigwhiteys
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Having used one for heat in my cabin,there some rules to them.Every winter some family got burned out, thanks to those stoves.

I was out in a sheep camp and I was in the cook tent with the guides and some hunters having supper when there was a bunch of hollering from outside. It was the other hunter and his son.

One of the hunters had decided to fire up the wood stove in his tent without having one of the guides do it properly and it caught fire. They burned the tent right to the ground and all of their gear with it.

The hunter told me I could rumage through and salvage what I could from his gear. I found his tackle box and it was melted onto all of his lures which were still in great shape :) I still have a few.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

xcaribooer
10-05-2006, 12:47 AM
http://www.walltentshop.com/Riley.html my 12x14 came with one of these ,it works really well and the 7 -12" lengths of stove pipe fit inside it for transporting.Not sure where you could get a new one locally though.

Rainwater
10-05-2006, 09:58 AM
We used to affectionatly call those tin heaters "hippie killers". We use an airtight stove, brick lined and strap it to a dolly for moving it in and out of the truck, you just can't beat it.

greybark
10-05-2006, 10:18 AM
:) Hey We3grants , I have a photo if a great stove idea for your tent . Is there anyone I could e-mail it to for posting here ?

REMEMBER -- Keep your Fingertab On -

Why not?
10-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Okay, greybark, here's your picture!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/laketrouter/Kenscampstove002.jpg

Ted

greybark
10-05-2006, 01:06 PM
:smile: Thanks Whynot . This stove is not as big as it looks 18in wide , 24in high and 33in long . Check the Buy and Sell for these Fisher stoves at very good prices .
Proven to Minus 40 at keep a 14x16 wall tent warm and do the cooking thing .My toast rack is still on the stove .
Skids welded to legs for dragging , and the racks hook over carring handles . A large pot on the racks provided a constant sourse of hot water as well being a drying rack . The top of the racks were flush with the top of the stove and pots and pans easily move to and fro .
Burn time when dampered downwere up to 16 hrs and when that alarm went off at 4 in the morning I would reach out from my sleeping bag and open the draft . 15 min later it was breaky in a warm tent .
When returning from my treestand or visiting the never failing smoke raising from the chimney was a welcome sight .
The stove pipe was one piece and the horizontal run out the tent wall was slightly downward where a 3/8 hole at the bottom of the elbow allowed the creasote to drain out into a hole in the ground .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

ratherbefishin
10-05-2006, 03:28 PM
check out the drumstove in www.backwoodshome.com (http://www.backwoodshome.com)

we3grants
10-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the info on the stoves, great saftey advice as well. Email at cdnfftr651@hotmail.com. Thanks.

cdub
10-08-2006, 08:16 PM
I bought mine at canadian tire for 130. It keeps our 14x16 toasty hot at -25. We have made it more air tite but otherthan that it is light to carry and will last longer than the oval cans.

greybark
10-08-2006, 09:10 PM
:o The Fisher stoves can be really inexpensive as people have to get rid of them due to fireplace burning restrictions in various parts of the Province . I paid $20 for mine and he helped me load it .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

ratherbefishin
10-19-2006, 06:33 AM
not stoves but hot water-I saw a hunting camp that ensured a generous supply of hot water by simply having what looked like a 5 gallon metal container with a tap on the bottom that was set next to the outside fire to heat up