PDA

View Full Version : Caribou hunting

stonesheep
06-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Is any one a self proclaimed expert on Caribou, It is one of the only animals I hve no idea about, as in where to hunt for them in B.C, and when to hunt them. If I were to go I think I would like to go after a good size bull, not just a meat animal, I would like to attempt to take something you could add to the trophy room. I know there are a few animals up near where I was sheep hunting last year (Muskwa) as we found a few sheds but nothing large, and I am assuming these would have been mountain boo as we were a two solid day hiked in from the river..I guess what I am looking for is some info on where to find some good numbers of caribou so I can look over a few animals. Im not shy of flying in, or mountain hiking so any areas you can tell me about would be great. I see from the B.C record book, a guy named Fred Pringle has taken lots of book animals, from the Cassiar range and the rainbow lake areas, does anyone know anything about these areas.

Thanks for any help that can be passed along

jody :wink:

bone-collector
06-26-2004, 01:25 PM
#4 for that scoreing period

http://www.members.shaw.ca/wildliferecordsofbc/pages/images/caribou_kelly.jpg

there are alot of open areas in northern BC for boos but a few are better than others up around alberts hump/brother lakes/dease lake etc

stonesheep
06-26-2004, 03:32 PM
hey bones do you know the guy pictured, if so do you think he would be willing to share his info on where and when to go, also how to get in (foot or Fly).
Thanks

bone-collector
06-26-2004, 03:49 PM
the guy in the pic is my midget irishmen hunting partner Dan Kelly and this was a fly in trip , I will ask him about all the details again next time I see him for you

Rob

stonesheep
06-26-2004, 04:04 PM
anything you can get out of him would be great, what year did he take that beast, and was it a mountain boo or barren

stonesheep
06-27-2004, 09:13 AM
sorry Dewy, didnt mean to post the same thing as a topic, I just didnt notice.....I have done this a few times in the last little while.......Are you thinking of going, I would like to get a grasp on where and when to go after these beasts as well.... looks fun :D

Tank
06-27-2004, 09:46 PM
I continue to here good things about 6-20 for caribou but have know idea personally.....i don't know if the hunting is only good inside the protected wilderness area or if it is also good for the open season on bulls 5points-or-better outside? i also here that access can be an issue......but i'm pretty sure bone-collector is the man in the know for this area.... :wink:

Lt
07-28-2004, 06:17 PM
I was hunting just norht of pink mountain last year and the guys camped next to us shot two caribou on opening day.

Lt