PDA

View Full Version : Moose calls

ianwuzhere
10-03-2006, 07:27 AM
I am lookin to buy a moose call- have never used one- anyone know the names of some that have worked for you?

chinooker
10-03-2006, 07:56 AM
I use the one God gave me seems to work pretty good.

MB_Boy
10-03-2006, 08:18 AM
ian.....

We make our own birch bark horns, but a friend of the family has a "plastic" horn that has a curl in it. Kind of looks like a horn that you would see a viking blowing when charging into war. Sorry....only real way to describe it, but it is a curved horn and fairly compact. It sounds pretty good and I think the thing you have to remember with the cow call is you can certainly get a horn to help amplify the sound and give it a bit more of a robust bellow, but the ulitmate thing to do is to get a video of CD and learn to mimic different calls.

Sorry....I don't know the brand name of the plastic horn.

FullDraw
10-03-2006, 08:22 AM
I Just bought a Buck Expert brand moose call from Hub Sports, just trying to get the sound right, The sound drives my wife and Dog crazy so I don't get to practice much. I'm off this weekend to moose hunt I'll let you know how it works when I come back.

FullDraw

chinooker
10-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Speaking of driving the dog crazy, I bought my first Elk bugle and tried to practice at home but my basset hound freaks out barks and shakes his ears everytime I blow It.

moosecaller
10-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Use your own voice no bought call can compete with it! It just takes practice like anything else. Just get ahold of a video of real moose calling and go from there, a highway safety cone with the bottom cut off leaving it about 12' long will do they are very durable and should not "cost" too much, heck I have seen them laying on the side of the road!!!

MB_Boy
10-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Use your own voice no bought call can compete with it! It just takes practice like anything else. Just get ahold of a video of real moose calling and go from there, a highway safety cone with the bottom cut off leaving it about 12' long will do they are very durable and should not "cost" too much, heck I have seen them laying on the side of the road!!!

Couldn't agree more.....the "horn", be it birchbark, a funnel or road cone essentially just amplifies your own vocals.

moosecaller
10-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Got sick of making a new birch bark one every year ie: stepped on,sat on or just got wrecked by one means or another. This is why I went to the cone it can take a beating and stand up to my wide bottom friends!

MB_Boy
10-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Got sick of making a new birch bark one every year ie: stepped on,sat on or just got wrecked by one means or another. This is why I went to the cone it can take a beating and stand up to my wide bottom friends!

Ya just gotta make it more durable.:wink: We have had the same two horns for 15+ years and they are still going strong. Thick birchbark....glue gun and a leather thong have held strong. (yes....there was a lone birch tree in Northern MB that so kindly donated to the cause:oops: )

Having said that thought there is enough road work in this province to make yourself a new horn every year......and it is blaze orange as well to keep you from getting the horn shot right out of your hands.:lol:

Schmaus
10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
a leather thong

I could maybe take one of my girlfriends, I guess http://bestsmileys.com/lol/2.gif

ianwuzhere
10-03-2006, 05:55 PM
ya have to get a vid on it- get down the "here moosey moosies", "come to me"...

FullDraw
10-03-2006, 11:44 PM
oh boy this one's going down hill!

Jagermeister
10-04-2006, 01:28 AM
The Buck Expert one works like a hot damm. The key to any call, is to generate the air from the diaphram area, not from puffing up the cheeks and blowing. I've used both hands and calls and calls are much more consistant in producing the right tone. I've tried the coffee can and shoelace, and although it does produce a good sound sometimes, it's a pain in the ass to pack not to mention being able to keep the shoelace moist enough. I've never had response to the can either.

30-06
10-04-2006, 09:29 AM
I Got A Lohman's Moose Call

ratherbefishin
10-06-2006, 05:36 PM
kerosine works well on a bootlace /coffee can call.But having heard moosecaller myself-you can't argue with success[highway cone]

ianwuzhere
10-06-2006, 07:56 PM
thanx- ive heard bout the lace and can style- agree with bulky- there are lots out there- small ones pack in pocket- quaker boy at crappy tire is looking aight for $30... cheers!

Geo.338
10-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I too have made many birchbark horns but I have since made one out of my kids' big plastic baseball bat by cutting both ends off leaving it about 18 " long .It was blue so I covered it wit a cloth camo tape .I think it is a lifetimer .

K-1
10-10-2006, 04:38 PM
I have used Birch bark but usually they get chucked in the fire before we head home. Now I just use a piece of 1 5/8 X 20 in. flex PVC pipe, it gets stuck in the gun rack on the quad, it takes a "sh-- kickn" but its keeps working.