PDA

View Full Version : Duck opener!!!

Sheldon
10-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Whats everybodys plans for opening day. Opening day for me will be spent on Cowichan Bay with a buddy and our two labs. Cant wait to float my new widgeon dekes.

Sheldon

Marc
10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Good luck Sheldon, opening day on Cowichan bay is usualy a gong show with a lot people there shooting at anything that gets within 100 yards of their guns. Let us know how you make out. Who knows you might catch me out there if I manage to snag a bear this weekend.

Marc.

Ian F.
10-03-2006, 08:06 AM
I'll be taking Dano up on his invite to join him for the morning,

Only 4 more sleeps!

Ian

Dano
10-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi Ian,
Just got in from flyfishing up around Merrit. Some nice trout up to 3# but slow fishing. Went out one evening and bagged a grouse which certainly was more interesting to my lab Maddy than sitting in the boat. Let the boys (my son and his buddy, both 23) fire the 22's and shotguns up at the range. My son never cared for shooting as a youngster but seems to be interested now. They both did well on clays thrown from a EZ thrower, and my son really likes the SKB auto I bought in the summer! Maybe get them both out trap shooting.
Looks good for saturday Ian, I'm heading out in the morning to check out the marsh with my partner Dan. Got your pictures and recognize both areas and the one with the posts is where we'll be going saturday. Drop me a message early tommorrow if the water is still down and what entrance you used to get out.
Call you tommorrow night.
Dano
P.S. Take pictures so we can all compare photos after opening day!

Ian F.
10-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Be careful, you know what they say about target shooting, it aint the gun that's expensive, it's feeding it that is! Maybe you need to pick up it's mate, just in case?

Water is low by my standards, but I don't know what normal is. I went in at the launch across the 2 dams and paid the price later with sore back and pulled muscles! The spot you go in, by the culvert, looked way too low to easily get in, but that's assuming I know the right spot!

I'll be at home by 5 so gimmee a ring, or I'll try you.

Ian

Murder
10-04-2006, 09:15 AM
What is the weather looking like where you guys are? Doesn't look too promising here in 1-6. I don't even bother going until the wind picks up.

Dano
10-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Looks like cloudy/overcast for us but as long as it's not foggy, we'll be ok.
I go out in almost any weather condition and find there's good things in all situations. Birds tend to be more commital in windy conditions but don't fly as much. More birds flying on breezy or bluebird days but harder to get in to the dekes... As long as my eyeglasses stay dry, I'm happy!
Had one of our best shoots with snow on the ground and had to break ice with the boat, birds came in hard all morning!
Dano

rbduck
10-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Our season opened the first week of Sept. My group has been doing real well on the geese( we just seem to get into them more) rather than ducks. We shot another nine Canadas last night. Thee main migration hasn`t even arrived yet so it should be a lot of fun when they do get here. Good luck to all you waterfowlers.

Ron:mrgreen:

Dano
10-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Water is very low in the marsh.... Very difficult to get a boat and motor out there.
I was disappointed with the number of ducks I saw but it was mid-day. I hope Ian's early morning observations are more representitive of what we will see saturday. Should be a mixxed bag out there. We saw mallards, widgeon, woodies
Dave, if you are heading out opening day, send me a message or call me.
Dano

dave
10-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi Dano, yup the boys and I are planning on getting out on opening day. Sounds like we might have to carry the boat a little (or a lot). I'm not surprised the water is low, we need rain and lots of it. I'll give you a call tonight or tomorrow.