PDA

View Full Version : help need blind ideas

Dutch Ppoacher
12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
newb to field ducks, i have premition to huint some hay fields with some water in them now.
problem is there is no cover close to the water spots where the ducks are active.
i would love some ideas for cover.

ducks and geese are in the area.

thanks

DP

TheProvider
12-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Can buy a layout blind or get a blanket/sheet similar to the color of the ground, throw any loose depris(hay) on top of the sheet. Lay on the gound and pull the sheet over you. You could build a pit blind but its alot of work and you'd wanna ask permission from the owner first

keoke
12-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Lay down law chair with woven hay mat over top

303Brit
12-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Buy a layout, they are money. Or better yet hunt with someone that has 3 ;)
Seriously though you will not regret spending the money on a layout, if your not sure about spending the 300 ish bones
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_225585_640_02?rgn=0,0,2000,1247&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=2Q4i10mOQt8BTLERjqRQJN

The avery power hunter is about 150

aliagha
12-21-2011, 12:58 AM
newb to field ducks, i have premition to huint some hay fields with some water in them now.
problem is there is no cover close to the water spots where the ducks are active.
i would love some ideas for cover.

ducks and geese are in the area.

thanks

DP
I am in a similar situation. found a nice place to hunt with lots of ducks but no cover. can't build a permanent blind, so I need to figure out something that is portable and concealed. Last weekend I took four 2/4's, some camo burlap and mesh and made a 2 person box shaped blind, it worked for the singles but for some reason the big flocks were flaring just before they could come in to the shooting range. I am working on a new low profile/portable blind. I will post pics and details if it works.

Foxton Gundogs
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM
We use rebar about 6' long pushed into the ground in a rough circle, then some burlap and field grass around it. Trick is to build it a week or so before you hunt so the ducks get used to it. Takes about a week and it becomes part of the landscape to them. We built one on a bare assed point in the marsh, at first they wouldnt fly anywhere near it about 10 days latter we went to pull it up after 2 weekends of non productive "shooting" from it and when we approached we jumped about 50 Mallards from the water right in front of it. been using it ever since.

branthunter
12-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Get a sheet of 6" concrete mesh and cut 2 pieces 4' x 3' and one piece 4' x 4'. Attach the 3' pieces to each end of the 4' piece with some kind of cheap carabiner thingy, one top and one bottom. Viola , a self supporting blind you can weave the local vegetation into easily and quickly. Rig a tump line or 2 backpack straps, fold it closed, and it's easy to carry. A big spike on a 5 ft. line tied to the top end of each wing and you're stable against the wind.

dingdongdenny
12-22-2011, 03:15 PM
what we used when we hunted geese in alberta was chicken wire fencing 5ft high by about 12ft long .cut a bunch of willows 5 to 6ft tall and push them through. pack it out with you and set it up in a circle, and you have a blind for three people and looks like a stand of willow.

dingdongdenny
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
dutch you the great guy's shooting the geese by the golf course?

Dutch Ppoacher
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
no, not yet!!! heard the winery is having a problem. time to talk to mister chase.
i am setting up out beaver cr.

thanks for the wire idea, i have some kicking around here, a trip to the river and load up the back ot the truck with willows and i am set

303Brit
12-25-2011, 07:54 PM
WSS has blinds on for 30% for boxing week, just sayin

snortwheez
09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Buy a layout, they are money. Or better yet hunt with someone that has 3 ;)
Seriously though you will not regret spending the money on a layout, if your not sure about spending the 300 ish bones
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_225585_640_02?rgn=0,0,2000,1247&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=2Q4i10mOQt8BTLERjqRQJN

The avery power hunter is about 150

I would agree with the Power Hunter as being an excellent choice, light weight and quick setup blind.
I've been using a GHG Ground Force for 5 yrs now and LOVE it! Quick setup and tonnes of room.....

Dutch Ppoacher
11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I am in a similar situation. found a nice place to hunt with lots of ducks but no cover. can't build a permanent blind, so I need to figure out something that is portable and concealed. Last weekend I took four 2/4's, some camo burlap and mesh and made a 2 person box shaped blind, it worked for the singles but for some reason the big flocks were flaring just before they could come in to the shooting range. I am working on a new low profile/portable blind. I will post pics and details if it works.

how did your newer version turn out?

BiG Boar
11-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Cabelas has thier own brand or layouts on for 99$. Or their full sized super blind for $200. I know because I just bought em both!

shotgunjohn
11-29-2012, 09:14 AM
We use a layout type chair in this situation, then cover ourselves with a piece of indoor outdoor carpet. Found the green it came in wrong but spray painted it
to more closely match the grass. A little grass on the edges and you are set up. This rig is light weight and very low profile and doesn't have to be left in the field.

The carpet we have was originally sold as a golf putting practice tool, just had to cut the length in half and it works perfectly.