PDA

View Full Version : First deer for the freezer

reach
10-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Well, after spending a week fishing (and a little grouse hunting) in the Sheridan Lake area, I took a swing out west of Williams Lake to hopefully fill my doe tag in 5-14A. I'm a new hunter this year so was happy to get that draw. There were 800 tags issued so I figured there must be a few deer around. :)

As soon as I crossed the Fraser I started seeing deer. Once up top on the plateau, not so much. So I figured I'd stay low. I drove some roads north of there and saw lots of does on the road, and a few hunter camps, so I figured that must be the place. I picked a flat spot to set up my tent and wait for the next morning when my tag became valid.

Next morning I was up bright & early (couldn't find my good sleeping bag, so I was getting pretty cold under a too-thin duvet). There were LOTS of road hunters on the "main" roads, so I took a couple of smaller side roads that had me glad I was packing a winch. Didn't have to use it but it's always nice to know it's there. I saw a few does (6-8 total, two or three groups) on the roads but they were long gone by the time I could get out of the truck and loaded up.

I followed one a little way up the hill, and found a really good spot for some day when I want to try again. There's a draw going up the steep hill with a good game trail and some sign. I figure sitting near the top of the ridge looking down at that draw and waiting for the road hunters to drive the game up would be pretty much a sure thing.

Anyway, I lost that deer and it was getting to be 8:30 or 9, well after sunrise. I figured I was probably done for the day but went for another tour of road hunting anyway. Then sure enough, I come around a corner and there are 4 does munching away. They weren't spooked at all for some reason, even though the truck was only about 50 yards away. I was keeping my eye on the biggest one, but it was quartering away feeding and didn't want to move. I made a couple of funny noises and they just looked at me and kept feeding. I could have gone for a head or neck I suppose, but I wanted a broadside shot to avoid spoiling too much meat.

Eventually the second biggest one (by a hair) started walking CLOSER to me and presented a perfect broadside shot in the sunlight so I couldn't resist. Pow - 30-06 bullet through the heart. She goes about 15 yards and flops over. I was happy to make the perfect shot but from 25 or 30 yards, if I can't make that shot I'd better quit now. :biggrin:

Field dressing went smoothly (I think) though it took a while as I haven't done one since I was a kid. I hung it up for an hour or two to cool down, then once it was starting to stiffen up, I realized I'd better get it in the truck while it still fit. My Ranger with canopy was already pretty much full with a week's camping and fishing gear, plus my dog in her crate. There's no way I would fit a deer in there if it was stretched right out in full rigor.

They do grow them bigger up there than the ones I'm used to seeing here on the coast - I needed the block & tackle to help get her in the truck. I didn't get a weight but she was a decent size.

I hot footed it back to the Lower Mainland and called DiMassimo to see if he could take it... Mike had already left the shop but turned around and opened it up at 9 p.m. on a Sunday to take my deer, delaying his dinner with his family. What a guy. :cool:

I was going to try and butcher it myself, as I had done everything else by myself too, but the weather's too warm to hang it down here, and I didn't really have the time to deal with it today, so I'm happy to leave it in more capable hands.

Now I hope to do the same this weekend with my whitetail doe draw in 8-14.

Sorry no pics - she was just a typical doe anyway. Not much to write home about but hopefully as tasty as they come. :D

Marc
10-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Good going, congrats on your doe. I know what you mean by they look bigger on the mainland. The first time I saw a mule deer I thought it was a cow elk :D

Leaseman
10-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Way to go Reach...out by yourself were you...????

Mike

PGKris
10-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Nice job. Good eatin for sure.

Elkhound
10-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Good going, congrats on your doe. I know what you mean by they look bigger on the mainland. The first time I saw a mule deer I thought it was a cow elk :D

Now thats funny:lol:.........even a spike mulie is usually alot bigger than a 2pt blacktail....

reach
10-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Way to go Reach...out by yourself were you...????

Mike
Thanks... yep, some of the folks I was fishing with were hunters too but they all had their own plans & schedules. I don't know anybody up in Williams Lake.

I figured (correctly, as it turns out) if there's a big enough deer population to issue 800 tags, I probably don't need help to find a doe in that area. :lol: Bucks would be a different story I expect.

Islandeer
10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Don't kid yourself, every animal you kill is an important one. Way to go on your doe, fine eating, and you have played an important role in wildlife management. Cheers.

reach
10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
you have played an important role in wildlife management.
Yeah, they're doing a pretty major cull up there. I had the numbers wrong. 400 tags in October and 800 in November for a total of 1200 doe tags in 5-14A this year. :eek:

Will
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Congrats on the Flattop 8-)
No need to make excuses for that.........I sure as heck ain't gonna when I go for my Cow Moose draw next Month:lol:
Enjoy the Steaks :wink: