PDA

View Full Version : retrieving ducks from the river?

fowlweather
12-19-2011, 10:27 PM
so, i dont have a dog, and i dont want to pull an act like longshot (jumping in the water) i am wondering what you thing is a good way to retrieve ducks in a river thats 20-30 feet across? i was thinking of buying a pool cleaning pole that can reach like 25 feet and spray paint it black or green, what do you think.

aliagha
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
so, i dont have a dog, and i dont want to pull an act like longshot (jumping in the water) i am wondering what you thing is a good way to retrieve ducks in a river thats 20-30 feet across? i was thinking of buying a pool cleaning pole that can reach like 25 feet and spray paint it black or green, what do you think.

I would advice you to avoid shooting over water if you don't have a boat or a dog. Get something that is easy to transport like a small kayak or a Rubber boat to retrieve the birds

fowlweather
12-19-2011, 11:59 PM
a canoe would be a pain in the ass, i think i will use a pool pole and just leave it there. nobody will see it.

seanps
12-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

1) Rivers have currents; When the bird hits the water, it's going to keep on floating. You'll need to retrieve it, which really calls for a boat and/or dog.

2) You're assuming the birds will be dead when they hit the water. In my experience, they'll often swim for a bit before dying -- likely out of reach of your pool pole.

Buck
12-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

1) Rivers have currents; When the bird hits the water, it's going to keep on floating. You'll need to retrieve it, which really calls for a boat and/or dog.

2) You're assuming the birds will be dead when they hit the water. In my experience, they'll often swim for a bit before dying -- likely out of reach of your pool pole.

Yep what about winged birds that fly out another 50 yds then drop.Boat or Dog i would suggest

Ian F.
12-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Drop em, were you can get em is best, but lets be realistic....get a piece of dowel 3/4", put a small ring in one end and taper that end. Paint it a bright colour. Now screw in fish hooks, design and number is your choice... if your casting is good it's pretty efficient, if your casting is weak, it'll improve...

Very best,

Ian

PS not recommended for flyrods

CanuckShooter
12-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Chest waders???????????????????

longstonec
12-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Canadian tire inflata boat. Springtime they seem to be everywhere for about 20$. Maybe don't try shooting class 5 rapids...

sawmill
12-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Drop em, were you can get em is best, but lets be realistic....get a piece of dowel 3/4", put a small ring in one end and taper that end. Paint it a bright colour. Now screw in fish hooks, design and number is your choice... if your casting is good it's pretty efficient, if your casting is weak, it'll improve...

Very best,

Ian

PS not recommended for flyrods

Yep,I used to use that a lot ,tie it on a stout rod and make sure you have 3 BIG treble hooks on it,works like a hot damn.And you don`t have to feed it.If you fish a fair amount you can get really accurate with it.

fowlweather
12-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Chest waders??????????????????? more like 20-30 feet deep. there is barely if any current/ no visible current i have thrown a piece of wood and seen that it doesnt move more than an inch in a minute

12-20-2011, 01:24 PM
more like 20-30 feet deep. there is barely if any current/ no visible current i have thrown a piece of wood and seen that it doesnt move more than an inch in a minute

in this case ( and i as well dont advise hunting ducks over water without a dog or boat) I would just tie a snag rig onto a medium action spinning rod.
tie a bell weight on the end of your line and then several trebbles going up the line. The weight on the end will allow the hooks to not get tangled up as well they will run over the duck with a greater chance of hooking in.

The pole idea is fine but what if its a cripple? with 1/4oz-1/2oz of lead on a spinning rod you can blast that out farther if the bird is swimming.

lorneparker1
12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
what a stupid thread.

if the water is 20-30 feet deep and you dont have a boat or a dog. DONT HUNT THERE. its simple.

Trying to count on some kind of concocktion to get the bird in a "best case scenario" back to shore is ridiculous!

Lorne

Foxton Gundogs
12-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Ok I have posted this before Get a BIG assed trebel hook and about weight(I have used the "barrel" type with an eye at each end attatches jusf above the hook) or better yet make your own out of 3 big singles a piece of copper tube and arrange the hooks in a trebel patern inside the tube !/2 fill with salder or lead insert lonf screw eye in the open end and finish filling(no weight required here) attatch some heavy "cod" or "net" line and away you go. I've tried the rod thing but am away more accureate with the "grappling hook" type rig.

widger
12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Become Jesus. Then you do not have to worry about the depth of the water. Just walk out and pick the bird up.

If you are able to do this please let me know so I can get some lottery numbers off you.

Foxton Gundogs
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
what a stupid thread.

if the water is 20-30 feet deep and you dont have a boat or a dog. DONT HUNT THERE. its simple.

Trying to count on some kind of concocktion to get the bird in a "best case scenario" back to shore is ridiculous!

Lorne

Agreed I could TRY to sell him a pup or better yet a started dog BUT as he doesn't have one already that probably wouldn't work. People will do what people will do regardless so may as well TRY to midigate the damage.

mfarrally
12-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Get the right tools for the job or go hunt some puddles you can walk through. Its actually the dumbest thing i've heard in a while.

12-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Agreed I could TRY to sell him a pup or better yet a started dog BUT as he doesn't have one already that probably wouldn't work. People will do what people will do regardless so may as well TRY to midigate the damage.

Yep, im with you Foxton,
I did put in brackets my opinion about that as well.

Thing is, id be a liar if i said i didnt learn the hard way myself. This person will go out there with whatever device he makes, loose some birds and re think it.
So we may as well tell him what we think might work.

Yep i ve done dumn things and lossed birds because of mistakes.

Again i think hunting over a river, or any other body of water without a dog, boat or any means to retrieve a bird from any point is a bad idea.

303Brit
12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't hunt the river without a dog. Regardless of what you do, pole, snag rig, kayak, etc they will all be a PITA (Pain In The A) so if you don't have anywhere else productive to hunt, ie Short stopping traffic birds before the river. Then I would seriously rethink about whether or not you can properly have a working dog (IE cash, time, training etc)
Right now I can't afford the cash or the time to have a dog, so we don't hunt over water without the boat or in shallow tidal flats. Loosing a bird is a terrible feeling.

The is just imho about retreiving ducks from a river

Crazy_Farmer
12-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Its pretty plain and simple, just as lorne says, if you cant retrieve your birds dont hunt it. I dont hunt any waters I know I cant wade out into, unless I have my boat

If Matt and the dog is around it opens up any deeper water areas around. But if they arent around, I cant hunt there.

Steyrman
12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Years ago BC (before Chessies) I used a heavy casting rod with a floating salt water Rapala minnow(large hooks) worked quite well.

WaderGator
12-20-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm with lorne and farmer on this one. If you cant retrieve the bird dont hunt there. You cant be planning on best case scenario. I'm sure you can find a spot where you can just wade in and get the birds or get yourself a small boat. I picked up a small punt already camouflaged off craigslist for 100 bucks a couple years ago and it opened up a lot of areas for me. Just keep your eyes open for deals

longshot
12-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Well Fowlweather I hunt over all time, infact probably 80 percent of my ducks are shot over ponds, ocean, or rivers... and ALL of them get retrived without a dog.

We use a cheap WestMarine inflatable and drag it pretty much everywhere we go. Its a one man boat that is super light and you can hide it by putting beside bushes with a nice big camo blanket over it, and not even geese will know. No dog and I have never had a bird that was not retrieved from being on water. Best 50 dollar investment of my life besides birth-control for the GF lol.

PS I had to swim for that goose because we werent really planning to be on water that day and we left the boat at home to make room for all the FFD's ;)

longshot jr.

savage30-06
12-20-2011, 08:35 PM
We used to use one of those teloscopic poles for retrieving golf balls,and put a hook on the end.A belly boat workes good too.

keoke
12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Canadian tire inflata boat. Springtime they seem to be everywhere for about 20$. Maybe don't try shooting class 5 rapids...

I accedently went down a class 3 rapid in Walmart inner tubes lol. Anyways I would try the fishing rod approach.

FirePower
12-21-2011, 04:18 PM
what a stupid thread.

Lorne

Sagely comment indeed get a dog, a bout or keep to the fields and sloughs where waders can be utilized. That should be the end of tale.

308Lover
12-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Would a spinning rod, a treble hook and a bit of lead work? Did it once as a kid---had to run home after shooting a duck since I forgot that they float---and can drift away--LOL

aliagha
12-22-2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpUPpw8eAGQ&feature=relmfu
check out this video of DU hunters retrieving ducks. check at around 8 min mark.

Gunner
12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Since one of my Labs passed and the other is too old to hunt I wouldn't think of shooting a bird where I couldn't pick it up myself,gadgets or not.I don't like losing birds.I'll hunt over my friends dogs until I decide whether to start over with a new pup. Gunner

spreerider
12-25-2011, 11:42 PM
get a cheap inflatable boat from canadian tire.

rbduck
12-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Pocket Fisherman with a great big "five o diamonds" attached to 12lb test line worked good for me in my younger days when by myself.

Ron

blindman
01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
If the river is only ten yards across, the ducks would be pretty shot up at that range, figuring that they are falling 10-30 feet from you. As others have said, you are setting yourself up for losing a lot of birds. The casting method works fine in water, but what if the duck lands a foot or more into the opposite shore? Only if there is no current, you could use a fishing float tube, fins or a short paddle and a good PFD.

shotgunjohn
03-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Come on Fowl. I used to hunt that spot. We both know it's only about a kilometer to the bridge. I did the hike more than once "back in the day."

fowlweather
03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Come on Fowl. I used to hunt that spot. We both know it's only about a kilometer to the bridge. I did the hike more than once "back in the day."

Well i could have done that but whats the use if they land in the water?

shotgunjohn
03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
I've also sat and waited half an hour for the wind to push a bird to one shore or the other but that was back when every bird was precious. As for people saying don't hunt this spot, even when you set up in a nearby field a cripple or wind pushed bird sometimes ended up in the river.

warnniklz
03-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Halibut spreader bar with 9/0 treble hooks attached with about 8 inches of fishing line at the 2 long ends,

1oz bouncin betty and a heavy spin rod

03-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Halibut spreader bar with 9/0 treble hooks attached with about 8 inches of fishing line at the 2 long ends,

1oz bouncin betty and a heavy spin rod

I have been sitting here trying to envision what the hell you are doing with a Spreader bar and how this is supposed to work!
well any better then any other snag rig.....

warnniklz
03-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I have been sitting here trying to envision what the hell you are doing with a Spreader bar and how this is supposed to work!
well any better then any other snag rig.....

Keeps the hooks apart so they grapple the neck area and the back.

Made one up in some... uhhh... spare time. Not going to lie, never have used it.

03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Not that i condone it :) but a simple weight tied to a good 12lb test below 5-6 good trebles works well too! Way more accurate to cast.

Really though, when yopu wing a bird and it crashes but is broken and not dead you need a boat or a dog. Those ducks can dive under shot let alone a cast.
It would be ok on a small pond where the bird isnt going anywhere,,,,,,, but River+duck hunting-dog-boat= disaster

warnniklz
03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Not that i condone it :) but a simple weight tied to a good 12lb test below 5-6 good trebles works well too! Way more accurate to cast.

Really though, when yopu wing a bird and it crashes but is broken and not dead you need a boat or a dog. Those ducks can dive under shot let alone a cast.
It would be ok on a small pond where the bird isnt going anywhere,,,,,,, but River+duck hunting-dog-boat= disaster

Agreed. I chased a mallard that was already wounded(not sure how, not by me shooting it) on a lake for way too long once. Kept diving on me and I kept missing with some crappy shotshells that I had given to me. Finally as it was trying to swim under my boat i just reached in and grabbed the sucker. Wily critters when they're in survival mode.

03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Sometimes i hear they willl grab a stick under water to hold them down with and never do come up.

thats where the dog comes in,,it can also provide a good laugh. At the expense of the poor duck though but its kinda funny watching the dog chase a diving duck!

greenhorn
03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
This duck hunting stuff sounds hilarious :)

Whatever you do make a video and post it!

03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Green horne,

Duck hunting is one of the funnest forms of our sport. Fast action, Fast learning curve that doesnt stop, Birds ,,,,,,, never underestimate the ability of fowel to see you before you see it, you get to watch yer dog do what he is built for, you get to yell at your partners for flairing the birds before you shoot, and laugh at then when they get stuck in the mud. Of course they are doing the same thing to you.......

To sum it up, hunting ducks is alot of fun. Great multi player sport. with loads of action.

warnniklz
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
sometimes you gotta take a towel... strip down and jump in to get em.

This method however I'm not a fan of. Birds are usually shot in the colder seasons. And on the fraser there's usually log booms, tugs and what not milling around.

Mr. Dean
03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Many would be amazed at the length one can cast a snagging hook with the right kind of rod.....

Cripples don't get lost in the underbrush of fields????
BS.

warnniklz
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Green horne,

Duck hunting is one of the funnest forms of our sport. Fast action, Fast learning curve that doesnt stop, Birds ,,,,,,, never underestimate the ability of fowel to see you before you see it, you get to watch yer dog do what he is built for, you get to yell at your partners for flairing the birds before you shoot, and laugh at then when they get stuck in the mud. Of course they are doing the same thing to you.......

To sum it up, hunting ducks is alot of fun. Great multi player sport. with loads of action.

And you get to yell at your partner that's suppose to call the shot... but instead of calling the shot he just ups and shoots while you're still hunkered down

longstonec
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Does cabelas make a camo wetsuit? And camo fins???boom! Self bird dog!

warnniklz
03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Many would be amazed at the length one can cast a snagging hook with the right kind of rod.....

Cripples don't get lost in the underbrush of fields????
BS.

2 seasons ago I winged a mallard. He wandered into a drainage ditch and in watched him swim under some overhanging brush. I climbed into the ditch thinking he'd be just under the overhang. There was a hole into the bank of the ditch. I got a long stick to try to drag him out. I could feel him moving around in there. After half hour to an hour, with waders full of water I had to give up.

So yes they do get lost.

03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Does cabelas make a camo wetsuit? And camo fins???boom! Self bird dog!

i just laughed!,,,, that is actually a great idea! Film it,,,,,, really.... just get a black 7mm wet suit! omg i can see it now!
im still laughing to myself,,,,, you could do such a fun spoof sea duck show! Jimmy big time

Mr. Dean
03-06-2012, 12:33 PM
2 seasons ago I winged a mallard. He wandered into a drainage ditch and in watched him swim under some overhanging brush. I climbed into the ditch thinking he'd be just under the overhang. There was a hole into the bank of the ditch. I got a long stick to try to drag him out. I could feel him moving around in there. After half hour to an hour, with waders full of water I had to give up.

So yes they do get lost.

And I have had similar.
Hunting is hunting and it's not always pretty - That is fact.

You make best with what you have available and try to mitigate the losses.
And if your fortunate to be better equipped, lend a helping hand when ya can, to someone less fortunate.

warnniklz
03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
i just laughed!,,,, that is actually a great idea! Film it,,,,,, really.... just get a black 7mm wet suit! omg i can see it now!
im still laughing to myself,,,,, you could do such a fun spoof sea duck show! Jimmy big time

You won't even need a punt... just a wet suite and you can bob around out in the water with your shotgun and you're set

longshot
03-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Haha, you could add an air tank and goggles and sit IN the river... make sure to get some Drylok loads!! ;)

warnniklz
03-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Haha, you could add an air tank and goggles and sit IN the river... make sure to get some Drylok loads!! ;)

ef yeah... but ughhh Drylok. Not my favoruite

03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Just put a life jacket on for upper body boyancy

fowlweather
03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
we shot a goose over the river. It was a little more excitement than i needed. it was a POS inflatable dingy, there were like 3 small holes that we didn't have the tools to patch. it was a race against time. I made it but it was for sure not easy at all. i think a long pool cleaning stick or a treble hooked rope or cable would have worked

field marshal
03-09-2012, 12:10 PM
I can't believe this thread is still going!!!!:confused:
Get a proper boat or a good retriever????? WTF.
If not ,stop hunting around that river!! There is no magical solution???
Cheers-----Field Marshal.

storm
03-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I totally agree with Field Marshal, This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever read on this site! If you bozo's want to go fishing then go fishing !!!! for fu#@%k sakes . If you want to hunt waterfowl then get the proper gear to get the job done.

Glenny
03-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Would a spinning rod, a treble hook and a bit of lead work? Did it once as a kid---had to run home after shooting a duck since I forgot that they float---and can drift away--LOL

I have done this many a time.

f350ps
03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I totally agree with Field Marshal, This is the most embarrassing thing I've ever read on this site! If you bozo's want to go fishing then go fishing !!!! for fu#@%k sakes . If you want to hunt waterfowl then get the proper gear to get the job done.
Wow, a little touchy are we?? After all that action today I figured you'd be pretty played out by now! :) K

fowlweather
03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
i didn't bring this thread back. somebody else did. i already found a solution to it during the last week of season

03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
i didn't bring this thread back. somebody else did. i already found a solution to it during the last week of season

Was it a wetsuit

fowlweather
03-11-2012, 01:07 PM
no a little yellow dingy with a few slow leaks. that was enough excitement for the season.

warnniklz
03-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Was it a wetsuit

There's a solid laugh of the day

longstonec
06-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Was it a wetsuit

I sure hoped it was a wetsuit. I didnt want my great idea to go to waste. But a little yellow dingy (with path kit) should be perfect. Yellow is a good color as thas is what all the bird watchers in reifel sanctuary will be wearing in nasty weather. Oops. Spelling issues on my iPhone today.

Cariboo Game Calls
06-20-2012, 07:12 AM
we shot a goose over the river. It was a little more excitement than i needed. it was a POS inflatable dingy, there were like 3 small holes that we didn't have the tools to patch. it was a race against time. I made it but it was for sure not easy at all. i think a long pool cleaning stick or a treble hooked rope or cable would have worked

Personally I have a chocolate lab that does my retreiving for me and I also own boats, however I thought I should mention that long before many of todays hunters were born there were companies manufacturing retrieving devices for hunters that didn't have or possibly couldn't afford to have dogs or boats etc. One of these items was called a "Fetch-It" that sold for $1.25 in its day. Today it costs anywhere from $50.00-$120.00 to buy one because they are a rare and sought after vintage collectible. The "Fetch-it" was a wooden plug like object with a wire hook that was intended to be used with a fishing rod for retreiving ducks.

I unfortunately never have any success posting pictures on this site but if you would like me to send you a couple of pictures of it, drop me a PM and I will e-mail them back to you.