PDA

View Full Version : Need help with field decoy setup!

nano
12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
New to waterfowling over decoys so I need some help. First off,when setting up in a field do you need a large spread or will dozen decoys work. The field that I am looking at has a small puddle starting and I was planning to set up over that.

Thanks

Nano

f350ps
12-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Are you using a spinner? K

TheProvider
12-14-2011, 10:12 PM
You gotta supply more details. How big is the field? Type of crop? Ducks? Geese? or Both? Are the ducks or geese using this field or are you trying to call them in as they pass to another field? IF there using the field and you setup exactly in the spot you see them in you don't need a large spread. Specially with late season waterfawl the birds have most likely been shot at before by hunters using big spreads(most hunters believe bigger is always better) I've found that in the late season sometimes using a smaller spread can be a much better. Ever hunt over a big spread and have geese circle it a few times only to go and land in another spot on the same field. IF you watch the next few flocks 95% of the time they'll land with the small bunch of geese.

nano
12-15-2011, 05:42 PM
OK so its a small corn field with a small pond in the corner with blackberry bushes on the side to provide a place to set up the blind. I was thinking that if it is a small pond that a small set up would be better. And yes I have a spinner.

Thanks
Nano

pnbrock
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
u tube has alot on the subject helped me huge.

lorneparker1
12-15-2011, 06:43 PM
OK so its a small corn field with a small pond in the corner with blackberry bushes on the side to provide a place to set up the blind. I was thinking that if it is a small pond that a small set up would be better. And yes I have a spinner.

Thanks
Nano

is there birds in the field? or are they just passing by? how big is the field acres wise? and whats around it? lots of trees?

If they are in the feild. i would try and match whats there. If they are just passing by I would set up as many as i can and still look natural somewhere in the middle of the feild if you havea layout. Most importantly let them land and swat em!

nano
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys, My set up worked well but my shooting was not on the same page. Going to try again on friday!

Foxton Gundogs
12-21-2011, 11:25 AM
I've had sucess with as few as 8 and no robo. I hunt a simmilar scinerio and use 18 and 2 robos tomany and the pond looks to crowded, experiment a bit

FirePower
12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I've had sucess with as few as 8 and no robo. I hunt a simmilar scinerio and use 18 and 2 robos tomany and the pond looks to crowded, experiment a bit

Amen to that. Much depends on the size of the pond, the weather, the time of day what the ducks ate that day what side of the pond they got up on. and so on. I would say the best set is the one that worked that particular day.