PDA

View Full Version : adding geese deeks to help?

Dutch Ppoacher
12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
i am just starting waterflowling. i only have a few duck deeks and have been given a few geese deeks.

just looking to see if i should add the geese deeks to the mix to help bring them in. or just stick with the few ducks

there are geese around just seem to be a few miles away

looking for suggestions

DP

TheProvider
12-14-2011, 08:29 PM
.....add them they'll be confidence booster for your ducks... its like adding a cple snows to a canadian goose decoy set

lorneparker1
12-14-2011, 09:34 PM
wont hurt thats forsure.

If in a field i like to put them downwind of the ducks as ducks usually like to land over them to get to the food.

Crazy_Farmer
12-14-2011, 09:50 PM
That's funny Lorne. We always put them on the upwind side, makes em short stop into the duck decoys. I find they don't want to fly over the geese to get to the ducks. But obvisously that works too, always more then one way to skin a cat hahhaha

Same goes for swan decoys, far up wind just like real life, swans digging stuff up and ducks following picking up the scraps.

longshot
12-14-2011, 10:14 PM
upwind downwind aslong you have decoys on the ground your good the wind changes all the time

field marshal
12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Well 2 different replies otta confuse you??? Stick 'em out where you like them!
Best part about waterfowling is learning stuff for yourself. Keep at it and you will be bagging your share of birds!!:-D Good luck-----Field Marshal.

benttip
12-14-2011, 10:46 PM
watch what happens in the fields in the off season or any time really ..do geese and ducks sit together ,,apart,, ,down wind, up wind etc etc ..its all available..oh and most of all have a blast..good luck..

lorneparker1
12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
That's funny Lorne. We always put them on the upwind side, makes em short stop into the duck decoys. I find they don't want to fly over the geese to get to the ducks. But obvisously that works too, always more then one way to skin a cat hahhaha

Same goes for swan decoys, far up wind just like real life, swans digging stuff up and ducks following picking up the scraps.

touche!

I find when watching them that In my experience, The ducks are oppotunists and like to land over the geese with the idea i think that the newest feed is up in front.

I have killed geese with robos going and no goose dekes, and lots of ducks with no duck dekes and only geese as i am sure you have!! So in closing, do what gives you confidence, because thats what really matters.

Foxton Gundogs
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
We put our duck deeks in the marsh in front and goose deeks on the hill behind our blind no matter how the wind is blowing. Seems like every time we are calling in geese to the set a big flock of ducks start working our deeks in the marsh, coincidence??

lorneparker1
12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
We put our duck deeks in the marsh in front and goose deeks on the hill behind our blind no matter how the wind is blowing. Seems like every time we are calling in geese to the set a big flock of ducks start working our deeks in the marsh, coincidence??

Not sure if its coincidence but it happens to us all the time as well. hahaha

Mr. Dean
12-16-2011, 11:00 AM
IMO geese dekes should be deployed while hunting ducks.
I've seen that by adding a few, changes how the ducks react. And it's all positive.

I like to have a couple/few inbetween the pocket and blind.
should be noted that I have only hunted fields...