PDA

View Full Version : When to Start a Retriever?

Dirty
09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I have two Golden Retriever puppies that are 11 weeks old. I was wondering how soon is too soon to start training the puppies. I want to train them to retrieve ducks. They have already started swimming :smile: and the male is a real water lover.

Marc
09-27-2006, 09:19 PM
You want to start them as early as possible. Even if it's just sitting at the end of the hall and getting your dog to retriever with the doors closed so the only place he can go to is you.

Only train one dog at a time while they are young or it'll be a game of tug of war between them. That's the last thing you want them to learn.

I used to have a starters pistol, revolver type and I'd play russian roulet with the dogs firing in the air and they were not allowed to touch their bowl until the pistol went off. It got to the point that they were barking at me in anticipation for it to go off as they new it meant they could eat. This teaches them dicipline and gets them used to the sound.

Soon as they are old enough they need to learn basic obedience, sit, stay, heel, come. This is crucial to teach them before you even think of trying to teach them to retrieve outside. Nothing worst then trying to hunt with a dog that wont sit or stay and jumps into the water after ducks that haven't been shot or wonders away from the blind when you're watching birds come in. Even at 11 weeks it's not to young to start them with some short obedience lessons as their tention span at that age is pretty short and they just want to play.

This is the hardest one. Don't let your wife or family sook them up, the dogs don't sleep in the same bed or room as the master, they get fed last and don't go to them make them go to you. The sooner they learn who is boss the better.

Join a retriever club in your area that can help you with your training. Dano would probably be a great help also.

Here is a picture of my lab Nash at 11 months of age back in New Brunswick on opening day.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3nash_opening_day_2.jpg

Marc.

Blacktail
09-28-2006, 07:44 AM
well i was gonna post my opinion but I think Marc covered it!8)

Ian F.
09-28-2006, 07:50 AM
What marc said

and

Find a retriever club in your area and join it ASAP!

There is tons of good modern and up to date info available (anything by mike lardy) but get to a club as quick as you can!

Very best,

Ian

P.S. most folks over work puppies, and over retrieve with them. Right now you should be 90% of your time in the get to know and obiedience mode. EVERYTHING is built off of the basics, EVERYTHING!

NEEHAMA
09-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Don't use a starter pistol at first. clap your hands , then use a cap gun. then the starter pistol. i first used my starter pistol from a distance while my wife handled the dog. then i got closer as my dog became more used to the reports. soon i was right behind my dog. cap gun fetch is a great start. i've seen a few dog's get gun shy with one single loud bang. don't scare them. be very carefull with noise. try to associate loud sounds with fun and treats. even blow your duck call while they eat. once my lab started to play fetch i would throw her training dummie against our metal tool shed and it would make a hell of a racket, she loved it. also little puppies like to chew at your hands when playing etc. get a long single tail or wing feather of a duck and tease them with it (playing) let them jump and bite at it. get them used to the feathers in their mouths. let them gnaw on it a bit. i've seen a lab get a mouth full of feathers off a grouse that she could not spit out. (feathers get stuck all over there mouths and they can't spit them out, it really scares them). and now that dog won't pick up birds. stay away from grouse for a while. they can fly a part like a open pillow and really put off dogs for good. - water shy, feather shy, gun shy. it sounds like you have water covered so watch the other two. gun shy is the most common. basic sit and stay stuff is most important. as the dog gets the hang of things get a few dead birds to play with make that one reaL fun. keep them in the feezer. put them back after a few fetches. take the young dog's out with experienced bird dog's. that really works. good luck.

Islandeer
09-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Spend as much time with them as you can. Train them seperately. Master basic obediance. Make training fun, lots of encouragement on retrieves. Make them sit and wait for supper. Make sure you go first thru doors etc., get them used to waiting for everything. Make success a key component of training. And do join a training group, enjoy your dogs.

I have a 3 year old black lab bitch who has her HR UKC title, and more importantly is an amazing hunting partner and family member.

Phred
09-29-2006, 10:17 AM
So can anybody post the name or contact for a training group in the Abbotsford/Aldergrove area.
My 4 month old lab has all the obediance down pretty good, so I'd like to get into some more hunting related activities.

Islandeer
09-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Look up TNT kennels, they will be able to help you out.

lapadat
11-12-2006, 02:55 PM
http://www.bclab.com/

BC Lab Retriever Club. They can help you out.

Lapadat

yellowlab
12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
run them with a dog that knows it way around. they'll learn more in one season ,than you can teach them 3, believe me ,i've raised a dozen labs over the years and shot alot of pheasnts and ducks, lost very few and hardly ever get wet feet. good luck!:lol:

Islandeer
12-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey phred, hows the dog coming along?

craigchaplin
12-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Everybody seems to have covered it.......only thing i can add is spend lotsa time. Every day at least once a day and hopefully twice train. Keep it short at first....they have minimal attention span when their young. And try to end everthing on a positive note..... I also used to put mine in his kennel after training fer a hour or so to "think" about his lessons. But i can't stress it enough on the time and repitition. I'm also a big fan of remote collars......to each his own but I think there a great help. Especially with force fetch.