PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a used Lewis Chainsaw Winch

Wildman
09-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Anyone have one of these for sale? Or know where I could get one? I don't really want a new one as they run between $700-$800 new.

IslandWanderer
03-06-2021, 10:57 PM
Bump. I'm keeping an eye out for a used lewis or capstan winch.

BimmerBob
03-06-2021, 11:10 PM
If this Covid-19 border closure ever ends you may want to have a look at Harbor Freight as they have a gas powered capstan winch that is a more reasonable price that you might consider giving a try.

BradC
03-07-2021, 07:24 AM
There is a used Lewis on Kijiji asking $750 Vernon area.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/vernon/lewis-chainsaw-winch/1554184752?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

IslandWanderer
03-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Now I'm wondering if a capstan might be better for my needs. Mainly dragging the occasional animal up a hillside to a road.

bcsteve
03-07-2021, 11:06 AM
I have a Lewis winch and here’s what I wrote about it on a previous thread and my reasons I pick it over the capstan style.

I have a Lewis winch, bought it new three years ago straight out of where they make them in New Westminster. Shot three moose in those three years but only needed it once. Shot a bull moose across a small pond about 75 yds across. Pulled the moose whole (to avoid mud and swamp water in the cavity) across the pond and up the embankment without even slowing down. When it got to the embankment my buddy didn't notice that the antlers were digging in the dirt and I actually broke the antlers off the skull with pieces of skull still attached!! Lots of power!

I went with the Lewis over the rope/capstan style winch because I read that once the rope gets wet they loose some of their pulling power with the rope slipping. The Lewis is also rated much higher with 4000lbs straight pull and 8000lbs double. Useful for game recovery as well as vehicles. The endless rope length of the capstan is appealing over the 150' cable of the Lewis though.

fuzzybiscuit
03-07-2021, 02:48 PM
I’ve got a Honda powered PCW5000 Portable Gas Powered Capstan Winch. Yanked 2 moose with it without an issue. 2,200lb single line pull. It’s also pulled a couple different jet boats off the rocks twice. Unlimited rope is pretty nice. A couple wraps and away you go.

I ran a chainsaw winch a few times 20 years back now. They were the thing to have in my mind until the capstan winches came out. 4-stroke, no smoke and pretty quiet. I’ve idled mine back and it just putts away.

We pulled a moose up out of a Coulee with not a tree around. Got as close as we could with the sxs and then strapped the winch in the back with the sxs sitting over a little hill in a bit of a hole so it was kind of anchored. The sxs itself couldn’t pull the moose out of there and it just spun its tires. A hundred yards of 1/2 rope and it was a breeze. Could have done it with a chainsaw winch too but it would have been a lot of messing around and tying off the rope every 150’ would have been a pain. Still a lot better than nothing though.