View Full Version : canned hunts(bison)

BCHunter
06-16-2004, 09:57 PM
say it free ranging over a large amount of property

Gateholio
06-16-2004, 11:09 PM
A 'canned' hunt isn't really a hunt.

A 'harvest' is more descriptive.

Youneed to qualify it a little more. Is it in a pen? Or is it free ranging within 10000 acres?

Like all fenced hunts, you have to keep it in perspective.

I would shoot an animal like bison or hogs on afarm, but I have no interest in shootign an elk under similar circumstances...

BUT- I would call it a SHOOT, not a hunt!

3kills
06-16-2004, 11:57 PM
i said no to this one cuz i would never do it..but doesnt mean i nessicarly (sp) disagree with them...like gatehouse said u have to be more specific on it...

BCHunter
06-17-2004, 12:01 AM
I won't spend that amount of money on one of those hunts....it was just something a buddy was talking about and I thought of knowing everyone opinion

todbartell
06-17-2004, 03:24 AM
I am with ol Gatsie on this, if its a dumb ol Bison or a hog I would hunt it if it was free-ranging only. :idea:

heck, if an animal, even a whitetail in Saskatchewan, is free ranging over a large (few km's square) property, what is the problem with that?? Most deer dont have that big of a home range anyways for the majority of the year. :idea:

You really have to put more thought and information into such a vague question before posting. http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/headscratch.gif

Marc
06-17-2004, 06:21 AM
How much does it cost to hunt Bison like this? If the animal has enough space to run away out of sight then I see nothing wrong with it. If it's on a big ranch with thousands of acres then I'd be up for it. I don't believe in pushing them into a corner or using the fence to my advantage either though.

Marc.

06-17-2004, 07:11 AM
l wouldn't consider a bison hunt on private land any different then some of the deer hunting l do. There are fences, hwy, rivers and all sorts of natural and man made obstacles.............yet, any one who has had whitetail disappear right before there very eyes 8O , knows it doesnt take much cover for an animal to pull a vanishing act.
l haven't been on a bison hunt ( apply ever year, but not yet :cry: ), but have talked to people who have, and its not a matter of shooting them in a pen at all. The accounts l have heard about them, say they aren't to smart as far as being human wise, but finding them can be an elusive chore.
Costs.........tags, travelling expensives, accomidations, and l have heard, some farmers charge 150-200 bucks to hunt their propery.

coaster
06-17-2004, 10:18 AM
I think one of the most sickening things I ever saw on TV was a "hunt "on a ranch in Texas where this brave individual stalked a very old Tiger that was sleeping beneath a tree. The animal was bought from a zoo. This mighty hunter had his picture taken with one foot on the Tiger and holding his rifle like he actually was proud. This guy was a dentist and he was going to have a head mount for his office. As you can guess, I am against canned hunts..

Silverado
06-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Some guys hunt Bison in Northern Alberta. Due to the genetic mixing of the re-introduced population in Wood Buffalo National Park, the animals are not provincially protedted outside the park. I suppose I might try that before I went to shoot one on a ranch.

bone-collector
06-18-2004, 09:54 AM
well after seeing the costs involved both ways (LEH and "canned") I wouldnt hesitate to take a free range bison hunt for meat, $500 will get you a farm raised bison were we have gone in the past and it costed aprox 2100 to do the LEH by the time all was said and done including sled repairs etc

Barracuda
06-19-2004, 12:17 PM
well after seeing the costs involved both ways (LEH and "canned") I wouldnt hesitate to take a free range bison hunt for meat, $500 will get you a farm raised bison were we have gone in the past and it costed aprox 2100 to do the LEH by the time all was said and done including sled repairs etc

I agree with you Bone collector . i think of it fine as far as bison go , Basiclly it is a meat run .
Where do you get a farm raised Bison for 500 dollars Myself and a couple of others would be interested in that

bone-collector
06-19-2004, 01:32 PM
there are a couple ranchers op in the dawson creek /fort st john area that will let you take out a 2 year old bull for around 500 bucks , we just stop and ask when we see a buffalo ranch sign on the highway

BCHunter
06-19-2004, 07:11 PM
my buddy has done it before, there dresed to the nine in camo.

Bone are these animals afraid of people? meaning are they going to just walk up to you?

Gateholio
06-19-2004, 09:49 PM
my buddy has done it before, there dresed to the nine in camo.

Bone are these animals afraid of people? meaning are they going to just walk up to you?

The guy up the roadfrom me that has bison would suggest they are NOT afraid of humans...He has had to kill a couple of his bulls when they decided humans were a good thing to charge at :D

bone-collector
06-20-2004, 08:57 AM
yea I think Gate is pretty much right there kind of a miserable beast at the best of times and quite unpredictable , the ones up north were pretty much open range animals but not afraid of us either , it was for meat so I dont think anyone realy payed attention

Rob
06-21-2004, 10:14 PM
I'd have no problem doing it for Bison if the land was a good size, $500 isnt a bad price for that much meat either. Like Bones said it would cost more for an leh in most cases, and you dont have to wait around waiting for the leh that you may never get.

bone-collector
06-21-2004, 10:37 PM
I am off duty for a few days I will see if I cant hunt down some ranchers that will let you stroke a buffalo on there ranch , I relize there isnt alot of "sport" in a canned hunt but if you ever paid the costs I keep hearing about from buddies that did get a bison LEH you may think again , hell they even have special snowmobile rentals set up now I hear , betcha those arent cheap

Barracuda
06-22-2004, 12:13 AM
I know i would be interested
Please let me know what you come up with.
Thanks Kyle

boxhitch
06-22-2004, 06:46 AM
It seems that lots of "field testing" of various hardware is done during "culling" programs at deer farms in the States. The bison hunt could be utilized to test out an individuals 'latest/greatest', on a Canadian sized medium. :P

Gateholio
06-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Just a little caution here..

Make sure you are 'buying livestock' and not a 'hunt.'

You need to buy the bison, live with a bill of sale and all.

Once it is yours, you can dispose of it as you please. But to sell it as s hunt, you're asking for trouble. I heard of some rancher getting into a bit of trouble with the CO's because of this a few years back.

bone-collector
06-22-2004, 12:41 PM
no these are buying the livestock Clarke, the guy just dosnt care if you stroke it on his land and haul it with his tractor

Gateholio
06-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I know..Just make sure all the 't's are crossed and i's dotted BEFORE shooting anything. :D

It seems like it should be straight forward- a simple livestock purchase- but I recall a rancher getting in a little hot water for advertising "shoot it yourself" bison.

I can't remember the details...

bone-collector
06-22-2004, 03:30 PM
oh I could see it happening especially a rookie CO looking for a chest to pin his badge on, most of the guys I met up north are pretty straight forward with you at time of purchase, also you can try and catch auctions if your nervous about going to a ranch , Dave got 2 buffalo for 300 bucks at 1 auction, took them to his buddies farm and stroked them :lol:

ratherbefishin
09-18-2004, 01:07 PM
if you want some free range meat, and lots of it, I think shooting a bison is a good idea.I'm not sure if the ranch bison are too much diferent than ''wild'' bison, from what I've heard, you locate the herd, pick an animal and shoot it.My neighbour got an LEH draw and he basically walked up to within 50 yards of the''wild'' bull and shot it.But whether or not that is charactoristic of both ranched and wild bison I don't know.