PDA

View Full Version : Decoy Paint

HuntNHookSports
09-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Hello everybody! I have been lurking on this site for so long, I feel like I already know some of you. I guess I never had anything constructive to input.

Anyways, I backpack my decoys in about 1 km where I waterfowl. The decoys are becoming quite beat up. Has anyone repainted their decoys with any success? Which paint brand and colors did you use?

Thanks!!

Ian F.
09-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Tell me SPECIFICALLY what type and kind of decoys you are using..

Very best,

Ian

HuntNHookSports
09-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I have Flambeau mallards. New style and old style. Hens and drakes. Thanks for your reply Ian. Your decoys are awesome (Seen the pictures in another post). Infact if I had your decoys I would not let them out of my game room.

Ian F.
09-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Flambeaus are better then carry-lites for repaint

Ian F.
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Flambeaus are better then carry-lites for repainting, but still you need to do a little cost benefit analysis before you start, as now you can get good decoys cheap in the form of GHG's, a dozen hotbuy mallards are $25 U.S.

But if you repaint, here's the steps..

with a fine wire brush scrub the snot out of the bird and get all the loose paint off you can. then do it again with a strong TSP solution followed by rinsing well with clear water. Let them dry, now they are ready for paint and if they get grimy before you start, give them another wash.

As for paint there are lots of options and it depends on teh species. If you tell me the species I can direct you further. Your choices are a priming with tremclad and then paint from there, or getting some spray cans of flat paints and going graffetti on them.

Ian

HuntNHookSports
09-26-2006, 08:56 AM
I think for the time and effort it is best to just replace them.

What do you carry your decoys from truck to field in? The damage on my decoys is from them banging on each other.

Ian F.
09-28-2006, 08:05 AM
I used induvidual pocket bags, but then again most of my rig is hand carved, and I'm usually hunting from a boat of some sort. If want some of those bags I have a cheap source on my comptuer at home.

You've hit the key to damage, transport, not use! I either use J anchors which slip over a keel and are held in place with a bungee (have a mould and make my own) or use H anchors and clip them on the decoys when they are depolyed. All of my carved birds I use H anchors on.

A little attention to detail goes a long way, simply bagging birds in say plastic bags before putting them in backpacks to for a long hump makes a big difference in that it stops rubbing.

Helping?

Very best,

Ian

P.S. if you get stateside much, GI Joes in Mt. Vernon had a whack of hot buys and other GHG stuff when I was there a 2 weeks ago, and they are opening one in Bellingham shortly.