PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru ParaTipi W/Stove Feedback.

bigwhiteys
09-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Has anyone on here owned, slept in or have first hand feedback about this tent combo from Kifaru?

I want to buy a new really, really good shelter for backpack hunting (2 people) and have really focused on the Kifaru Paratipi W/Stove. My hunting partner this year had a really nice tent from Integral Designs. An MK II I believe and also an expensive tent. I've thought about buying one just like it but the ability to add one of those neat little wood stoves from Kifaru is a benefit that just seems too good to resist. Hence why I am leaning towards the paratipi.

Anyone have any feedback? This gear is not cheap.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

kutenay
09-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I have a Kifaru Paratipi and a Kifaru 8-man tipi as well as an ID MKI-XL; I just returned from my third backpack hunting trip using the Paratipi. I do not have a stove with my PT, but, have the large stove with my 8-man.

I will not use the PT for b/p hunting again as it is too difficult to set up on rocky ground or in the dark, the ID is MUCH superior for this and, since mine is yellow for winter camping, I will likely buy an ID in OD for my b/p hunting tent for next year. The PT is a great ONE MAN shelter, IF, you can always find soil to anchor the pegs, but, in BC, that is not always possible. If, you use heavy metal pegs for anchors as rocky soil requires, the weight advantages are negated, so, I prefer the free-standing ID, over-all.

The PT is too cramped for two men with a stove, even without it is pretty tight for two, but, it is an excellent piece of gear otherwise. The larger tipis with stove are just outstanding, once you get in tune with the design, but, Kifaru gear ( of which I have quite a lot) IS very pricey and may not be as practical for short trips as an ID tent with a bottle propane heater, YMMV.

Another option is www.hilleberg.tents (http://www.hilleberg.tents) which have an outstanding reputation, I have found www.bearriveroutfitters.org (http://www.bearriveroutfitters.org) to be one US dealer that is just excellent to work with on getting ID, Hilleberg, Mystery Ranch and other serious, pro-quality gear, my other ID supplier is Mountain Magic of Surrey, BC.

You might consider a Kifaru 4-man with stove for your two-man tent, this would be far superior to the PT in this application. However, remember that, in wet BC. you often burn more caloric energy getting wood than said fuel provides; this is why I have always depended on clothing and tentage plus diet to keep me warm while backpacking/hunting.

If, you want to see a Paratipi, come to my place and I will set it up for you.