PDA

View Full Version : What bow sight??

Hunter4life
09-21-2006, 09:37 PM
I want to buy a new sight but i'm not sure what i need as a hunter. Do you use sights that have extra fibre optic wrapped around? Are those sight levels useful? Right now all i have is a bare bones three pin and i want a 5 pin, metal sight that can be abused. So what do you recommend?

hunter4life

pupper
09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
if you want brightness go with the true glo.

I like the look of the new g-5 site, seems pretty cool.

copper johns are pretty popular but i dont like the look of them although they do the job.

check em out at waynes shop on filuk pl. 604-859-2086
or go to hub sports.

PGKris
09-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Cobra sidewinder 5 pin. Can't beat it. They're so bright it's unreal. I don't have one yet but I will before next year. About 100 bucks. The money is worth it.
Kris

willyqbc
09-22-2006, 12:33 AM
first off what is the budget for this purchase...it will have a big impact on what sights you can look at.

cobra sidewinder that was suggested.......about half the people I've spoken to love them and claim them to be rock solid...the other half couldn't get them to stay in one place and found them to be quite fragile....50/50 split....something to think about

Copper john....the basic 5 pin hunter with small pins is a good rugged basic sight for a good price.

Trophy ridge....many reports that is quite fragile.

Cobra....again the basic 5 pin sight is generally pretty durable, I hunted with one for years on a pretty snakey bow and never had it move on me.

IMO the best all around pin sight on the market for the money right now is the spott hogg (whatever model you can afford). They are heavy duty, rock solid, never move and each pin is adjustable side to side and up and down individually.

Most of these can be had with a sight light if your worried about seeing pins at the last minute. Also your question about levels....yes they are important for hunting if you plan on shooting on sidehills etc because the bow still needs to be vertical or the arrow will drift, many people shooting on a side hill will hit towards the downhill side of where they are aiming because they tend to "square up" to the slope and end up with what amouts to a canted bow, level eliminates that problem.

as always...just my opinion
Chris

jessbennett
09-22-2006, 07:05 AM
if you are looking for a fantastic bow sight for hunting or 3-d, by far the best for your money is the tru-glo tru site extreme. all extre fiber optic is wrapped and pretected, you get 5 pins, in .029 or .019. they comme with a led light for dusk and low light conditions.these sights have some bright pins let me tell ya. believe me when i tell you they are in my opinion the best hunting sights out there right nowespecially for the money. at the shop here they run about 60$.(sight light included) cant beet that....8-)

JohnS
09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Spot Hogg Hogg It ... they are the best archery sight made IMO I have the 7deadly pins model and I can put the arrow in the bull circle at 80 yrds ... but like they say " you get what you pay for" and depending on how much archery hunting you do.

www.spot-hogg.com (http://www.spot-hogg.com)

Bow Walker
09-22-2006, 08:19 AM
IMO the best all around pin sight on the market for the money right now is the spott hogg (whatever model you can afford). They are heavy duty, rock solid, never move and each pin is adjustable side to side and up and down individually.
as always...just my opinion
Chris
I have had many different sights on my bows. There are two that I own now - and only two.

One is the Trophy Ridge 5-pin Guide series - metal housing, metal pins and tough. I find the the vertical pins to be easiest to sight with. TR sights are also the easiest to adjust and sight in.

The other sight is a Spot Hogg. Their Real Deal is all metal - pins and housing. The pins are adjustable both horizontal and vertical, plus they are easy to adjust.

Both these sights will do you proud. In my opinion, you should go for a 5-pin sight though it is doubtful if you will need more than 3 pins.

As willyq said a sight level is very useful. Not only on hilly terrain, but anywhere. You need to keep your bow level when shooting - period.

Good luck to you and the Canucks this season.

jessbennett
09-22-2006, 06:33 PM
is it the sight that puts you in the bull at 80 yds? probably has to do with alot of practice more than the sight.....imo anyways. if you get a sight with a level, be sure to level it with your bow as well or it is useless. good luck on your sight search but check out the tru glo tru sight extreme. they say you get what you pay for, but why not go for as hjigh of quality, and durability at half the price,. believe me mine has been through hell this year and it still is good as new. been of the roof of a jeep at 80 kmh..(dont ask its embarassing), put through hell in bear season and in the kootenays , and still going strong..... good luck on your search.
Jess

Bow Walker
09-22-2006, 06:46 PM
By The Way..........you are shooting compound w/ a release are you not? Makes a difference.

jessbennett
09-22-2006, 07:11 PM
yeah a spott hogg on a check mate bow that would be interesting....:confused: :) :lol: .

Hunter4life
09-22-2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, i think i will go visit wayne and hubs to see what they have to offer and then decide. I do shoot a compound and im tired of the plastic sight that came the browning rage combo. Used it for two years so its time for an upgrade. Maybe i should get a new bow while im at it :rolleyes: one day. Anyways thanks again for the advice.

hunter4life

sealevel
09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
i have to agree with the spothog not as brite as some but rock solid and so easy to adjust.