PDA

View Full Version : Delou's First Bird

Sasquatch
09-19-2006, 09:25 PM
My 18 month old Griff (Delou) and I just returned from a couple of days in the Hatheume Lake area and while the fishing was slow, the bird hunting was not bad.
This was my dogs first real bird hunting opportunity and I have to say he did pretty good considering he is handicapped with a complete novice trainer. He isn't locking up his points everytime yet and he flushed as many birds by accident as he found, but I was still delighted with his first perfomance.
Altogether, we downed 6 grouse in 2 days (4 spruce and 2 ruffs) and would have done much better if the novice trainer was a better shot and maybe a little quicker. I missed a few crossing shots that I think even surprised the birds when they kept flying.

We also saw dozens of deer (but only 2 spike bucks) a couple of coyotes in very nice shape and a monster chocolate bear that would have been a beautiful rug. I was tempted to take the bear, but my dog and I were having a great time bird hunting and I figured handling a bear that size on my own would have put an end to the bird hunt. I tried to take photo of the bear but of course fumbled with the camera and then took a great picture of an empty clear cut.

I will try to attach a photo of Delou's very first retrieve. Ask me if I am proud....

The 'Hummer'
09-19-2006, 09:55 PM
My 18 month old Griff (Delou) and I just returned from a couple of days in the Hatheume Lake area and while the fishing was slow, the bird hunting was not bad.
This was my dogs first real bird hunting opportunity and I have to say he did pretty good considering he is handicapped with a complete novice trainer. He isn't locking up his points everytime yet and he flushed as many birds by accident as he found, but I was still delighted with his first perfomance.
Altogether, we downed 6 grouse in 2 days (4 spruce and 2 ruffs) and would have done much better if the novice trainer was a better shot and maybe a little quicker. I missed a few crossing shots that I think even surprised the birds when they kept flying.

We also saw dozens of deer (but only 2 spike bucks) a couple of coyotes in very nice shape and a monster chocolate bear that would have been a beautiful rug. I was tempted to take the bear, but my dog and I were having a great time bird hunting and I figured handling a bear that size on my own would have put an end to the bird hunt. I tried to take photo of the bear but of course fumbled with the camera and then took a great picture of an empty clear cut.

I will try to attach a photo of Delou's very first retrieve. Ask me if I am proud....

Looks good guy. The first of many I'm sure.

Islandeer
09-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Good stuff!! Your dog will have you de-noviced in no time!!:lol: