PDA

View Full Version : Fred Bear

Gus
09-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I have a buddy looking at a Fred Bear G2. He can get it for $330 bare bow, never been shot. He doesnt really know anything about bows, and i dont know a whole lot more. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this bow. Appreciate it, thanks.

Gus

Bow Walker
09-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Can you give any specs for the bow? How old is the bow? Is it a private sale or a bow shop/sport shop? Is the bow the right fit for your buddy - like draw length, poundage, etc.

Gus
09-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Can you give any specs for the bow? How old is the bow? Is it a private sale or a bow shop/sport shop? Is the bow the right fit for your buddy - like draw length, poundage, etc.

All i know is that its not brand new (2006), and that its never been shot. It is not set up at all for him as far as draw length and such and he would still have to get it set up with sights, rest, etc. Its a private deal and he actually hasn't even seen the bow for himself just talked to the guy on the phone and he just asked me if I new much about this particular make and model.

Bow Walker
09-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Well........obviously he must see and handle the bow before buying. If possible you should be there with him and see if it "fits" him.

Generally speaking, they are a quality bow and if it fits him it seems well worth the price.

Things to look for include;
1. wheel/cam wobble - are the axles in good shape? Cam lean (on a single cam bow) is normal, if not excessive. 1.5 to 2 degrees would be acceptable.

2. inspect for any signs of limb fractures or cracks

3. figure on replacing string and cables. if it is older, and unused the chances are the string/cables have not been waxed.

Other than that it is (as always) "buyer beware".

Gus
09-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks bow walker.

Does anyone out there shoot a fred bear bow?