PDA

View Full Version : choosing camo

Bigiron
09-18-2006, 09:50 PM
The time has come to step up and buy good camo gear, so I'll put out the question. What to buy? I hunt from the fraser valley up to Williams lake for deer and moose. I have some snow camo so I am looking for good quality fall type patterns. Mark's Work Warehouse has the new Rocky gear in Mossy Oak "break up" and a big sale coming up. I want it quiet and functional. All opinions gratefully accepted.

Caveman
09-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I just bought the ROCKY scent blocker waterproof jacket & pants from Canadian Tire. Tired of always being wet on my PG trips. Too much time drying clothes. They are in the advantage timber. I have other stuff in this and one other they work the same. All I'm interested in is comfort and staying quiet.

todbartell
09-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I have MO break up, but only bought it cuz I was in a pinch and thats all the store had that I got to, 10 mins before closing...

I find it too dark for most situations, and at a distance, blobs into a dark form. Would be great for in the timber, hunting elk, but not so shit hot for hiding marshside for ducks and geese in October.

If I could pick only one pattern for hunting 365 days a year, Id go with Mossy Oak shadow grass, with Mossy Oak Brush in 2nd place.

http://www.mossyoak.com/images/patterns/shadowgrass/2.jpg

http://www.mossyoak.com/images/patterns/brush/1.jpg

BlacktailStalker
09-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Apparently Rivers West blows the rest away. Better for the price though.

bigwhiteys
09-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Hey Bigiron,

Ronyn camo might be worth checking out. It's fleece with a goretex liner and it's made in Canada. It's well made and very durable.

http://www.ronyn.com

Happy Hunting!
Carl

000buck
09-18-2006, 11:14 PM
rockey or browning in advantage timber but treat all camo with uv killer and sport wash

brotherjack
09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
I just use plain old "Proper" brand BDU's in woodland camo (same stuff the U.S. military used to use/maybe still uses), and a wal-mart special fleece hoodie for an outer layer on top (makes it easier to be quiet than the BDU jacket). Seeing as how I filled a whole license booklet worth of tags last year, I'd say it seems to work well enough. :)

I think camo is about 10% of a whole picture, in which being very still and quiet is the other 90%.

jethrobuddy
09-19-2006, 06:32 AM
treat all camo with uv killer and sport wash

Where do you get this stuff?

09-19-2006, 07:55 AM
I think camo is about 10% of a whole picture, in which being very still and quiet is the other 90%.

X2.........clothing helps but it doesn't make up for hunting skill. l have seen alot of animals harvested by hunters with out camo.

todbartell
09-19-2006, 08:31 AM
I may bitch about my camo pattern, but hunting with a rifle, Id kill just as much if I had blaze orange on.

I agree on the quiet/waterproof more important that pattern

Ozone
09-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Welcome to HBC.

Ive shoot more deer with jeans and a quite jacket than with my camo on. On the Island water "proof" is a nice feature, I hope they invent it soon.

oldtimer
09-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Canadian tire is having a sale coming up on some good waterproof camo I am going to check out. IT MUST BE QUIET !!!! Mike

K-1
09-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Hey Bigiron,

Ronyn camo might be worth checking out. It's fleece with a goretex liner and it's made in Canada. It's well made and very durable.

http://www.ronyn.com

Happy Hunting!
Carl I bought one of their "Bomber Jackets", am not overly impressed with it. It's very stylish but noisy on the inside. The collar is wimpy, and doesn't stay up or close at the throat. They would have been better off putting a hood on it.

sidney-hunter
09-19-2006, 06:57 PM
RIVERS WEST, i dunno if camo actually helps to get animals... but this stuff is actually WATERPROOF, WINDPROOF, and QUIET! i know i sound like their ads, but this is from actual personal experience. its also quite a bit less than browning. they actually have a few guarantees, including breakage for one year, and their stuff is now guaranteed waterproof for 10 years. havent heard anyone willing to beat that!

sidney-hunter
09-19-2006, 06:58 PM
www.riverswest.com/

ryanb
09-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I own some rivers west pants and there are some things that should be known about it.

-The fabric doesn't really breathe at all.
-The fabric is VERY warm, so don't even think about hiking around too much or you'll get soaked inside.

That said, the fabric is very quiet, very strong, nice and strechy, completely waterproof and extremely warm. And of course is pretty reasonably priced.
The stuff is great for sitting in a stand, but not so great if you're moving around too much.

The goretex lined stuff will always be somewhat noisy, no matter what. I think the best compromise is a softshell type fleece. I have a browning gator fleece parka, and while it's not waterproof, the water tends to roll off of it unless it's really pouring. It's somewhat windproof too, but again not the best in the world. I don't know if browning makes this stuff anymore, or any other company for that matter.

Hanrahan
09-19-2006, 07:47 PM
This is the first year i've ever had and camo. I bought a rivers west jacket mainly for the waterproof, windproof, quiet combination, not the actual cammo. I have to say i was impressed. Its actually waterproof. The only drawback I could find was its not very breathable. You'll stay dry in the rain and snow, but if your hiking and sweating a lot you'll get kind of wet. Other than that, no problems, and they guarantee it unbreakable too.
I know guys that have returned their ronyn cammo because its ripped on them in the first few times they wore it. So maybe stay away from them.

000buck
09-19-2006, 08:00 PM
camo does help in certain situations, i once put a stalk on a blacktail fork buck from 80 yrds. managed to belly crawl a few inches at a time to within 30 feet and claimed my prize with the 12 guage, it should be noted of course that my intention was to get within about 60 feet but i lost my landmark. I am sure that with out my camo he would have been gone long before i got within decent shot range....

Bigiron
09-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Good stuff so far everyone. Still not too many thoughts on patterns for the lower half of B.C. Part of the reason for the camo is that I prefer not to be seen in the woods. Not just by critters, there are too many buttheads out there that don't carry binos and will draw down on you even if you are wearing bright blue. I have sat dead still 20 feet off of the road and had guys drive back and forth by me all day when I was wearing palin old stanfields. They never saw me until I shot the 2 point bull I had seen crossing the day before. The point is I like to blend in and the pattern will be as important as the wind/waterproof qualities. Keep it coming guys and gals.

bigwhiteys
09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
K1,

I bought one of their "Bomber Jackets", am not overly impressed with it. It's very stylish but noisy on the inside. The collar is wimpy, and doesn't stay up or close at the throat. They would have been better off putting a hood on it.

I have the bomber jacket along with the pants. I'd have to say that I do wish I got the hooded parka instead of the bomber. One thing that did piss me off was the lack of any fastener for the outside pockets. You cannot put anything valuable in the pockets such as a knife or camera as it will fall out.

Other then those minor details it's worked out great... The jacket rolled up makes a great camp pillow too!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Bigiron
09-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Is there a Riverswest dealer in the lower mainland?

Hanrahan
09-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Their website says the closest one is in Victoria. You might be able to order online. I know you can get them to send you a catalogue. try www.riverswest.com

ryanb
09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Italian sporting goods had some last year, check with them.

Tarp Man
09-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Relaible Guns in Langley had a few models at the Hunting/fishing show back in March. Check them out. It has been my experience that they will help you out faster and with less of the verbal banter that seems standard at Italian Sporting Goods. This is just my experience, but it extends from trade shows to the store experience.

sidney-hunter
09-20-2006, 08:27 PM
i bought mine at island outfitters here in victoria. ive got a buddy whos about to buy some, and he says that you cant purchase directly from riverswest.

Elkhound
09-23-2006, 10:51 AM
I bought some rocky gear last year. Parka and the bib pants. While on my fly in I fell up to my neck in a bog, swam for my life. By the time I got out, the water was freezing white on the outside. I however was dry from my ankles to my neck.....worked great for me.

4pntsorbetter
09-23-2006, 12:11 PM
I agree with the whole 10% logic on the camo thing, but Don't discount the value of a good pattern. Any pattern will help break up your outline, and animals do not see in colour like us. That being said, the noses they have work a whole lot better. Hide your scent and you hide yourself!

jessbennett
09-24-2006, 09:55 AM
anyone in and arouind williams lake, give lorel or kelly a call at gametrail archery. lorel makes some of the best camo around and about a quarter of the price. from fleece, jean material, sweat material, and some new fancy stuff she got. its fleecy on the out side, smooth on the inside, and fairly light. mossy oak break up, all skyline patterns, realtree,
she also makes 3-d rigs in camo material, bowslings, bino harnesses, all high quality at a fraction of the price,
ph# 250-392-7770
Jess

oldtimer
09-24-2006, 10:25 AM
I checked out the stuff at Canadian Tire. not bad but too pricey. Went to WalMart and bought the Remington 6 in one jacket which some long john and a decent pair of cotton camo pants should be good for late bow season.

gollum257
10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Rivers West is unreal went on a moose hunt for a week & my ass was wet for a week they can keep it.LOL

fester
10-11-2006, 04:15 PM
I have Ronyn, the pants and jacket are very comfortable and they are extremely waterproof. My only beef is like someone else said the pants are ripping they could be stitched stronger or triple stitched and it would be great.