PDA

View Full Version : Archery Classes on the Island

Ozone
09-18-2006, 11:01 AM
OK it seems after reading all your guys and gals posts I have decided to take this sport up. Just did a deal with Stanway on a Browning Rage and dont no the first thing about sticks with strings:). My main reason for this is hunting but one never knows were new things will lead.

Does anybody know of any archery courses on the Island, preferably north island . I thought I remember something about Nanimo but cant seem to find the posts. Any Archers in Campell River on here?

Thanks for any help as I will need lots.

PS Thanks BowWalker

PGKris
09-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Welcome aboard! You will frustrate yourself to no end! Remember, once you master the physical, archery becomes 99% mental.

J_T
09-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Ozone, there are lots of guys on here that hunt with bow on the Island. I know that Onesock and Awishanew have repeatedly put on IBEP courses on the Island.

If you want to hunt with a bow, the IBEP is a must.

JT

Ozone
09-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks JT, do you mean by "a must" ethicaly or legally and as I said I know nothing so whats a IBEP coarse?

J_T
09-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi Ozone.

The International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) is a program designed and administered by the National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) to train bowhunters throughout North America and internationally. The ultimate goal of the IBEP is to provide bowhunters, both experienced and new, with the basic fundamentals of good, safe bowhunting while maintaining the highest ethical standards in the sport. The immediate objective is to instill in all bowhunters a responsible attitude and to adopt and follow acceptable behavior towards people, wildlife and the environment in which they hunt.
The fundamentals and principles of the IBEP course were established in 1967. In 1969 the National Field Archery Association (NFAA) adopted these ideas and by 1979 the NBEF was formed. The belief was then, and remains today, that The future of bowhunting depends upon effective and successful bowhunter education.
The class has approximately 10 hours of interactive classroom study and 3 hours of practical field training, The course is taught by instructors with a minimum of 3 years of hunting experience, however, the vast majority have 10 years or more. This class is currently required to bowhunt in 16 states and many foreign countries and the number is growing.
Typical Class Agenda:

Why you want to be a bowhunter
Ecological Constraints (Habitat requirements, carrying capacity, management tools, etc.)
Sociological Considerations (conduct not approved by others, reasons for approval, etc.)
Preparing for the Hunt (adequate equipment, scouting, planning, shooting form, practice, etc.)
Hunting Effectively (sharpening broadheads, game anatomy, how an arrow works, etc.)
The Hunt (hunting methods, game recovery, tracking, care of game, etc.)
Hunting Safety (hazards, first aid, hypothermia, survival, map and compass, etc.)
Field Experience (matching equipment, tree stands, judging distance, following trails, etc.)
For more information contact:
National Bowhunter Education Foundation (http://www.nbef.org/)E-Mail: nbef@binet.net

J_T
09-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Sorry, in answer to your question. IBEP is not mandatory in BC.

It should be considered that those who hunt exclusively with a bow, should obtain IBEP certification over the current CORE and Firearms courses.

JT

Ozone
09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks again JT. Thats the kind of course I'm looking for. I realize my timing isnt the best for looking for a archery course and I will probibly have to wait a while, so until then I will just stumble along triing not to hurt myself:smile:.

Tuffcity
09-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Ozone,
CR has quite a few archers and a pretty good club with an indoor and out range. I don't know who's running the show these days but any of the sporting good stores should have a contact number.

Find out when their shoot nights are and I'm sure that there are enough people who'd be more than happy to send you down the right path. :)

RC

Awishanew
02-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I guess this is as good a place as any to remind everyone that we are running an IBEP course in Nanaimo on Feb 10 11th 2007. We still have a few seats available. The cost is $40.00 for the two days and you keep the books and knowledge that go with the course. For details or to register call Dennis at 250 722 2613

The Hermit
02-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I guess this is as good a place as any to remind everyone that we are running an IBEP course in Nanaimo on Feb 10 11th 2007. We still have a few seats available. The cost is $40.00 for the two days and you keep the books and knowledge that go with the course. For details or to register call Dennis at 250 722 2613

ARGHHHH!!!! I can't make this one. Anyone know when the next one in Victoria will be? I'm all over attending one of these courses!!

Onesock
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
We usually have one of these courses every year in the winter. As these courses are not mandatory to bowhunt the IBEP cousre is not a regularly scheduled event and the TBBC hosts them for all interested bow hunters. For info call Dennis at 722-2613.

Coyote
02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Ozone call Shane at 286-0012. He'll set you up for Campbell River

'yote

echo
02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.crfw.crcn.net/
here's the web address for the Campbell River Fish & Wildlife Association -- the archery range is near the Quinson River Prov Campground!
g'luck
~echo

Franko Manini
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
ARGHHHH!!!! I can't make this one. Anyone know when the next one in Victoria will be? I'm all over attending one of these courses!!

I'd be down for one of these classes if it were in Victoria...