PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the Robo duck decoy from?

aliagha
10-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I checked at wholesale sports and another local hunting store and couldn't find one. from where can I can get a robo or mojo Duck decoy in or around the greater vancouver area? or does any of you has one for sale?

thanks,
Ali

heyblast
10-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Don't waste your money. By the second week of the season thier old news to the ducks. Mine sits at home most of the season and I have no trouble shooting my limit.

aliagha
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
yeah but it seems good for some pass shooting in the marsh. no hassel of carrying a dozen deeks and setting them up.

FirePower
10-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Don't waste your money. By the second week of the season thier old news to the ducks. Mine sits at home most of the season and I have no trouble shooting my limit.

I've actually been noticing them causing some ducks to flare I've been using mine as stills with wings in the set position just for some constrast in the decoy set

FirePower
10-13-2011, 08:26 PM
yeah but it seems good for some pass shooting in the marsh. no hassel of carrying a dozen deeks and setting them up.

If you are dead set on having some a friend got his "baby" MoJos from Cabelas in about 5 shipping days.

Ian F.
10-13-2011, 08:57 PM
www.cabelas.com

keoke
10-13-2011, 09:19 PM
I love the mojo, birds get suckered into it all year for me. I cant call worth a damn and I do quite well for myself through out the season with the mojo.

Crazy_Farmer
10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
no hassel of carrying a dozen deeks and setting them up.

I too have thought about ditching our goose decoys and mallards for just 4 robos in a field. Run them in series off a car battery, less work involved that way.

Tanya
10-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Agreed the birds get seasoned to them quickly. However, they work well in low light and/or heavy rain conditions. Turn it off when the sky brightens.

Mr. Dean
10-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I jumped into water fowling last year, after a couple friends gave me a taste of it the year before. I too wouldn't mind having a couple robo's..... When they're working, they're great! When not, turn them off.

I don't think they're the answer to not bringing out the other gear but rather an enhancement to what one can have available (read: More shit to haul around).

Tanya is right; These things are KILLER at the start and end of the day (low light).

Mr. Dean
10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
........ I've only found them via mail order, fwiw.

behemoth
10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I find that roboducks arent very sporting, learn how to call em in, its not too hard

lorneparker1
10-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Anyone who owns a robo duck that's doesn't want it because it doesn't work I will buy it. Shoot me a pm. Why aren't they sporting? Enlighten me with this yearly can of worms! Do you shoot your ducks with a traditional bow and arrow? Because using a shotgun isn't very sporting! I see in your avatar you are using bino's. How sporting is that! I mean you can see them from 1000 yards but they cant see you.

Ioneth
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Drive to Cabela's

Closest one is in Lacey WA Drove there last year they had lots of them no other store in WA had them. someone said they are not legal and those stores only sold ones with a rope you have to pull on to make the wings move

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/store_info.jsp?pageName=026

They are also building one in Tulalip opens next year.

Foxton Gundogs
10-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I've actually been noticing them causing some ducks to flare I've been using mine as stills with wings in the set position just for some constrast in the decoy set

I 2 have seen ducks flareing turned them off and positioned the wings in a "landing" position and the flareing stopped. Doesn't happen all the time but it has. Still wouldn't give mine up. They came from Cabelas in about a week as well.

Agreed the birds get seasoned to them quickly. However, they work well in low light and/or heavy rain conditions. Turn it off when the sky brightens.

X2 yep thats about the way I see it 4 what it's worth.

Crazy_Farmer
10-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Lorne everybody knows only ground sluicers and hen killers use robos...

field marshal
10-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Anyone who owns a robo duck that's doesn't want it because it doesn't work I will buy it. Shoot me a pm. Why aren't they sporting? Enlighten me with this yearly can of worms! Do you shoot your ducks with a traditional bow and arrow? Because using a shotgun isn't very sporting!

I dunno?? Seems pretty sporting, when you and Brit use them???????

lorneparker1
10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
I dunno?? Seems pretty sporting, when you and Brit use them???????

hahahaha I love you!

303 will post some pics of the murder that insued yesterday!! pretty gruesome! I shot my 8 with 14 shells.

lorneparker1
10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Lorne everybody knows only ground sluicers and hen killers use robos...

hence me wanting to buy more!

Gunner
10-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Try Stillwater in Ladner,Brian usually stocks them. Gunner

heyblast
10-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Shot 8 ducks with 14 shells, what were the extra 6 shells for?:twisted:

lorneparker1
10-14-2011, 05:42 PM
warning shots!

fowlweather
10-14-2011, 05:50 PM
italian sporting goods usually has a couple lying around

heyblast
10-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Warning shots? Man you got it all wrong, you want to surprise them, get them close, let them see the white of your eyes, then you know what to do.

behemoth
10-17-2011, 03:40 PM
For me, calling them in to my setup is the sporting part of it. If the ducks just come in because of a battery operated machine that brings them to 10 yards of you , a machine did your hunting for you.

Why not just go shooting clays? Its the same thing

kyleklassen
10-17-2011, 05:01 PM
broken clays are hard to gather up for the kill photos.

lorneparker1
10-17-2011, 05:10 PM
broken clays are hard to gather up for the kill photos.

Hahahah make really crappy pepperonis as well.

Foxton Gundogs
10-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Hahahah make really crappy pepperonis as well.

Come on Lorne branch out your cullinary experiences...IF you soak them long enuff they make some type of porridge, not sure of the tase or food value tho.

behemoth
10-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I hear clays are easier to swallow than goldeneyes :)

aliagha
10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
For me, calling them in to my setup is the sporting part of it. If the ducks just come in because of a battery operated machine that brings them to 10 yards of you , a machine did your hunting for you.

what about using a shotgun for killing birds? Is fire power fair against anything???

behemoth
10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
what about using a shotgun for killing birds? Is fire power fair against anything???

Shotguns are humane which is part of an ethical kill

Ethics around ensuring you have a quick and humane kill are different than ethics around fair chase IMHO

aliagha
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Ethics around ensuring you have a quick and humane kill are different than ethics around fair chase IMHO

and so is using a robo to get an edge. personally I have been hunting water fowl for a few years now and haven't killed more birds than 20. . my calling skills aren't that great so i need the decoy to get the birds a little more closer, giving me that split second advantage to make the perfect kill shot. If using a robo is unethical then so is using a power boat for getting around the marsh!

pnbrock
10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
just ordered my robo duck from cabelas lacey will have in a few days from now.

aliagha
10-17-2011, 06:28 PM

if thats the case then, My Nintendo Wii has much nicer graphics and guarantees a ton of birds in every hunt!

Dano
10-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Without calling, I wouldn't have nearly the amount of birds come into my setup. It takes much more than just a "battery operated machine) to seal the deal.
The robo duck works both ways, it gets them to come in for a look but it also can scare them off. The calling and decoys make ducks fully commit.
The whole shoot is the sporting part of duck hunting, the setting out decoys, calling them in, a good shot, a dog to make a retrieve, spending time with old and new friends is all part of it. A robo duck is part of the decoy spread, and although you and others don't like it (and you are entitilled to your opinion),Robo's are legal. One could make an argument that unless you use your voice to call in ducks, you are cheating or "not sporting".
I've shot a lot of clays the last year or so, (more than 15,000 rounds) and I assure you shooting clays will never match the thrill of a duck hunt.
Dan

FirePower
10-19-2011, 07:15 PM

My Grandad on my mothers sides sirname was Wildgoose, from the days when men were named from their profession. He was a wayerfowl hunter market hunter. He used an 8ga muzzel loading shotgun and decoys(when aplicable) roughly hewed from wood blocks and stained with homemade paint. He mouth called. that was in the very early 1900s. When I look at what my Da hunted with and now what I use it broaches the question where do ethics stop and the technolocial development of out sport begin. Robos are just one more step in developement. Wether we chose to use them or not is not a matter of ethics but one of personal choice.

lorneparker1
10-19-2011, 11:36 PM
My Grandad on my mothers sides sirname was Wildgoose, from the days when men were named from their profession. He was a wayerfowl hunter market hunter. He used an 8ga muzzel loading shotgun and decoys(when aplicable) roughly hewed from wood blocks and stained with homemade paint. He mouth called. that was in the very early 1900s. When I look at what my Da hunted with and now what I use it broaches the question where do ethics stop and the technolocial development of out sport begin. Robos are just one more step in developement. Wether we chose to use them or not is not a matter of ethics but one of personal choice.

well said! This is not about ethics, its about evolution.

Foxton Gundogs
10-20-2011, 09:08 AM

well said! This is not about ethics, its about evolution.

You guys just about sum it up enuff said here.

Long bow
12-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I use these guys for duck hunting supplies..great to deal with and they have the timers and remotes for Mojo's..From Stutgart Arkansas..mallard hunting second to none..
http://www.mackspw.com/

sae
12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
how about supporting your local stores like stillwater he has both robo and lucky duck , remember when they go broke cabelas won't ship ammo and bringing it across the border is a crime

bogman
12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Any of the fling wing decoys work great . Just be sure to get one with the remote , once the ducks start to come your way shut it off and they won't flair as much

slashhunter
12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Wholesale sports doesn't have something in stock....what else is new?? I've slayed lots of ducks this year with the help of the robo ducks. they get sucked in pretty easily when they see those wings turning...

longshot
12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
They seem to be weather dependant... I find in low light or ugly weather conditions they work great... On sunny days I feel like shooting the decoy!!