PDA

View Full Version : United Bowhunters of BC

Coyote
09-17-2006, 11:18 AM
The concept of a provincial bowhunters organization has led to the formation of the United Bowhunters of BC. The organizations goal is to lobby for more bowhunting opportunity in the province where such opportunity is in line with sound conservation and wildlife management.

We have made the orgtanization known to the government in Victoria and each region and have already been consulted on matters pertaining to bowhunting in the province.

We have one more executive position to fill, a director for Region 2.

Director's Responsibilities

Introduce yourself and the UBBC to, and get to know the Ministry of Environment Regional Biologist responsible for making recommendations on hunting seasons to Victoria.

Be the bowhunting point of contact for the Ministry of Environment in your region.

Make yourself and the UBBC known to the bowhunting community in your region.

Look for bowhunting opportunity in your region.

Be the point of contact for bowhunting opportunity ideas and suggestions in your region.

Communicate with other regional directors and the UBBC executive.

If you or someone you know would like to participate in bowhunting's future please contact us at info@ubbc.ca

If you would like more information or would like to become a member please visit our website at www.ubbc.ca (http://www.ubbc.ca)

Gord Eason
President

Blacktail
09-17-2006, 09:40 PM
great idea and a long time coming!!
Keep it up Gord8-)

J_T
09-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Good post Gord. Great to see things are coming together.

Filling a Reg 2 position should be interesting. The majority of hunters likely live in the lower mainland. I wonder if anyone will step up.

Being a lower mainland resident, I'd consider it, however I am presently involved in a transition back to the Kootenay (region 4).

Once I settle down there I'll be in contact with you. Keep up the great work.

JT
(OB)

Onesock
10-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Good idea Coyote. Now maybe we can get some attention at the hunting season table.

Bowzone_Mikey
10-18-2006, 05:05 PM
awesome Job ... get ahold of the ABA (Alberta Bowhunters Assoc.) they have their stuff together when it comes to Bowhunting advocacy

www.bowhunters.ca (http://www.bowhunters.ca)

trust me ... the group there has done wonders at the Govs dinner table

I will sending in my lifetime membership as soon as I get settled in PG

Mike

QnsCowboy
10-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Good work, a pleasure to see and hope it takes off.

Craig

Coyote
10-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the tip Mikey

Coyote

bhartenb
03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Hey Gord is this still going?
Bill

The concept of a provincial bowhunters organization has led to the formation of the United Bowhunters of BC. The organizations goal is to lobby for more bowhunting opportunity in the province where such opportunity is in line with sound conservation and wildlife management.

We have made the orgtanization known to the government in Victoria and each region and have already been consulted on matters pertaining to bowhunting in the province.

We have one more executive position to fill, a director for Region 2.

Director's Responsibilities

Introduce yourself and the UBBC to, and get to know the Ministry of Environment Regional Biologist responsible for making recommendations on hunting seasons to Victoria.

Be the bowhunting point of contact for the Ministry of Environment in your region.

Make yourself and the UBBC known to the bowhunting community in your region.

Look for bowhunting opportunity in your region.

Be the point of contact for bowhunting opportunity ideas and suggestions in your region.

Communicate with other regional directors and the UBBC executive.

If you or someone you know would like to participate in bowhunting's future please contact us at info@ubbc.ca

If you would like more information or would like to become a member please visit our website at www.ubbc.ca (http://www.ubbc.ca)

Gord Eason
President

Riverbc
03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Hey Gord is this still going?
Bill

http://www.ubbc.ca/

Big Lew
03-06-2012, 10:11 PM
I joined quite awhile ago with a multi-year membership but haven't heard a peep from anyone since.
I've tried to check on my membership status by using www.ubbc.ca/ but it keeps failing.
If anyone is able to communicate with Gord or the organization could you please let me know, thanks.

The Hermit
03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Yes the UBBC is still working. We have a forum available to all members at www.bowzone.ca. The UBBC now has a seat at the PHATAT for consultation and input on allocation and policy issues related to bowhunting.

We are looking for someone to help with the UBBC website which has been stagnant for quite some time... too many bots sending the executive way too many spams. If you have any specific questions please feel free to contact me at btozer@shaw.ca

Thanks

Bill

Cheers

igojuone
08-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Just fired off an email and it was returned by the postmaster. Wondering if there is any value in becoming a member, doesn't appear to be any activity since 2009.

Wild one
08-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Just fired off an email and it was returned by the postmaster. Wondering if there is any value in becoming a member, doesn't appear to be any activity since 2009.

Would also like to know if this is still active

J_T
08-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Becoming a member, depends what you are looking for. To show support for those who are working to raise awareness and education on bowhunting skills and bowhunting opportunities in BC? Like any organization, there are few who do the grunt work. There are members of the UBBC working collaboratively with all hunters in a number of areas, on Provincial hunting opportunity groups, on regional advisory groups and generally working with Government and BCWF to add value to hunting for all.

igojuone
08-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Becoming a member, depends what you are looking for. To show support for those who are working to raise awareness and education on bowhunting skills and bowhunting opportunities in BC? Like any organization, there are few who do the grunt work. There are members of the UBBC working collaboratively with all hunters in a number of areas, on Provincial hunting opportunity groups, on regional advisory groups and generally working with Government and BCWF to add value to hunting for all.

Is this an answer to my question of "value"? I support many groups and individuals who do great things for hunting in general, how many groups is one to sponsor?

Big Lew
08-11-2012, 11:26 AM
I was a member and asked how to renew my subscription quite awhile ago. I was told that they were in the process of cleaning up and re-structuring their site and that they would get in touch with me as soon as it was done....still waiting.

rides bike to work
08-11-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm sorry to ask this but .Does this organization have an agenda that uses the term conservation to shorten the rifle seasons and extend bow season like they are in Alberta.I would like to know the groups views on shortening rifle seasons.

bugler
08-11-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry to ask this but .Does this organization have an agenda that uses the term conservation to shorten the rifle seasons and extend bow season like they are in Alberta.I would like to know the groups views on shortening rifle seasons.

Don't be sorry, (I doubt if you really are), it is a good question. This group seeks to increase hunting opportunity by establishing bowhunting seasons where GOS is deemed to pose a threat of overharvest. An example would be the chance to hunt late season whitetail in December after the GOS is closed. Another would be getting the 5 days of mule deer season, that was lost in reg 4, back with a bowhunting opportunity, at least until the managers feel that GOS can go back to Nov 15. Many of us feel that there is a chance to extend both mule deer and elk seasons to the end of November with a bow season, adding to the time available to hunt.

J_T
08-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Quite often, a characteristic of the bowhunter is one of conservation, so there is no doubt you will get a complete spectrum of members. The framework that we have set up though is one of working together, in partnership with all hunters. The UBBC did support the any buck season mule deer, and the GOS Whitetail doe seasons. Even though we lost the opportunity to take a doe with a bow in the early season. As Bugler said, the UBBC typically looks for "shoulder season" opportunity. It is the most palatable, but we will look to provide input in other areas as well. The UBBC representing members work to provide a unique perspective and contribution as a part of the overall team.

Rides Bike to Work, I guess it's a matter of perspective. Typically you won't see a recommendation out of the UBBC to "shorten" a rifle GOS, but if Government decision makers are proposing a shorter rifle season, we would propose a bow season in there, so that there is no loss in opportunity. What I will say, is that we would prefer a bow season over LEH in almost every case. Recruitment and retention is not supported by LEH in most cases.

rides bike to work
08-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Thank you for the answers to my questions.I got the info I was looking for .

pupper
08-13-2012, 11:05 AM
I remember signing up but I dont think I got any literature or package. I do not even know for sure if I am still a member.