PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Dekes

Bucks&Ducks
10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Lat year I took a trip down to the states and picked up 2 dozen Dakotas. I got one goose hunt in at the end of the year with them but never got as much as a sniff,

This year in the Sept. season there were lots flying by but nothing committed, on the Heritage my grass field wasnt as interesting as the freshly cut corn and now on opening day I had hundreds of geese landing at the opposite end of my field,

Is there a break in period on these things or are they just cursed:-|

super frustrating

Crazy_Farmer
10-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Were the geese landing in that end of the field the days prior? And I don't mean were they there when you say them, but where were they landing before?

You'll find geese all the time in spots of fields that they might not like to land on but will land say in the center and feed towards the spot you saw them.

Also big thing could be your hide, what was your blind setup? If real geese see what they think is real birds on the ground without picking out a blind or something out of place they should atleast come close enough to shoot.

FirePower
10-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Lat year I took a trip down to the states and picked up 2 dozen Dakotas. I got one goose hunt in at the end of the year with them but never got as much as a sniff,

This year in the Sept. season there were lots flying by but nothing committed, on the Heritage my grass field wasnt as interesting as the freshly cut corn and now on opening day I had hundreds of geese landing at the opposite end of my field,

Is there a break in period on these things or are they just cursed:-|

super frustrating

Did you hang jewellry and credit cards on the hens ?

Bucks&Ducks
10-08-2011, 02:44 PM
CF on all occasions the fields had held at least 100 geese in them the day before and I even watched them land and I can guarantee my hide was nothing short of invisible not that it mattered because they never even glanced down as they went over the spread, it was like they were on a string

Did you hang jewellry and credit cards on the hens ?

ya i went to the dollar store last night and picked up some plastic bead strings, I figured if they are close enough to see the plastic they should be dead,:mrgreen:

I cant figure it out but I have a bran new freshly seeded barley feild I will try tomorrow that had a couple hundred landing in it this am, I might just bring the old shells

f350ps
10-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Were you on a hedgerow or ditch line by chance? Were you calling? K

Bucks&Ducks
10-08-2011, 04:49 PM
we were in a ditch with trees behind us and an absolutly invisible from the front of the blind and trees blocking the vertical view down, we could have used layouts but they were landing 10 feet right next to the ditch so it seemed to offer the best hide, tried calling and not calling but nothing to show for either

keoke
10-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I too have a set of cursed decoys, I have 3 seasons and 2 geese to show for it.

Marc
10-08-2011, 06:28 PM
We've shot 3 limits of birds over a dozen Dakota's last winter over Christmas Holiday and just did t again in the early fall season in the span of an hour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/15birdsin1hour.jpg

Actually we've shot limits pretty much all season over them in the past few years. I can't see the decoys being the problem, were you over calling them? Decoy placement? to many sentries in the group? If you're looking at changing them out let me know, always looking to increase the flock if the price is right, cursed decoys sell for cheap I hear.:mrgreen:

Bucks&Ducks
10-08-2011, 07:55 PM
IM gonna take a new approach tomorrow morning, in my spread I will put all of my old dekes and I will keep one of the dakotas in the blind with me so they arent visible, once something dies, I will break out the others. if that doesnt work, the first person to show up on my doorstep with a box of timbits gets the lot

lorneparker1
10-08-2011, 08:46 PM
timbits? i'll give you a $100 tomorrow for them! its not the decoys!

It is one of these things. if the birds arent giving you a sniff it has to be something really bad. As CF said if you have a decent set up and are in the right field and are hidden its not very common to have them not within the range of a 12ga.

Wrong feild
Wrong spot in the feild
bad hide.
Decoys on their side? or something ******ed in the spread? pink flamingo?

It sounds like number 2. Hunting with trees behind you (especially bigger ones) is a nono in my books. They dont like circling over them and its a good place for predators to hide which is why you rarely see them anywhere near treelines; To me treelines are for pass shooters. not goose hunters :P. i know there are guys here that shoot them from treelines successfully but i have had not much luck. Maybe they will chime in and give you a hand. Unless the birds are flying from the side you are set up on towards you from the roost and the wind is blowing from behind the trees which means they fly straight in, (no circling) i guess it could work. But if they have to swing over the trees and try to land the odds of them landing within shooting range is pretty slim. Did you actually see them in flight land next to the trees the day before? or did you drive by and see them already on the ground next to the trees? They could have walked over after landing further out. I have to ask... if you have layouts why would you set up on a treeline?

Bucks&Ducks
10-08-2011, 09:30 PM
timbits? i'll give you a $100 tomorrow for them! its not the decoys!

It sounds like number 2. Hunting with trees behind you (especially bigger ones) is a nono in my books. They dont like circling over them and its a good place for predators to hide which is why you rarely see them anywhere near treelines; To me treelines are for pass shooters. not goose hunters :P. i know there are guys here that shoot them from treelines successfully but i have had not much luck. Maybe they will chime in and give you a hand. Unless the birds are flying from the side you are set up on towards you from the roost and the wind is blowing from behind the trees which means they fly straight in, (no circling) i guess it could work. But if they have to swing over the trees and try to land the odds of them landing within shooting range is pretty slim. Did you actually see them in flight land next to the trees the day before? or did you drive by and see them already on the ground next to the trees? They could have walked over after landing further out. I have to ask... if you have layouts why would you set up on a treeline?

that is exactly what they are doing coming from the right to left along the spread, when i watched them come in they never circled, today they just flew over from right to left and landed without circling in the far end with less than a glance downward,

we'll see what happens tomorrow, I got an old guy coming out with me that has "everything needs to be perfect (rub mud on barrel to reduce shine)" OCD if there is something wrong he will find it

Crazy_Farmer
10-08-2011, 09:43 PM
If he tells you to point all the decoys in the same direction, run away screaming!!

lorneparker1
10-08-2011, 10:19 PM
If he tells you to point all the decoys in the same direction, run away screaming!!

HAHAHAHAHAH!

truer words have never been spoken.

Needed that!

Gonna lay teh smack down on some white cheeks and lards tomorrow i think. 2 bonus snows in the mix so we'll see what happens

mattchu_19
10-09-2011, 05:01 AM

HAHAHAHAHAH!

truer words have never been spoken.

No word of a lie Lorne, Me and Adam got invited on a hunt and the first thing out of the guys mouth that was setting up decoys was "All the decoys have to be facing the same way". Adam looks over at me and gives me the oh this will be great look.

FirePower
10-09-2011, 08:53 AM
No word of a lie Lorne, Me and Adam got invited on a hunt and the first thing out of the guys mouth that was setting up decoys was "All the decoys have to be facing the same way". Adam looks over at me and gives me the oh this will be great look.

Come on Lads that 1 direction thing DOES work but only if you have a decoy of a Border Collie herding them.Its a VERY old goose hunters trick only known to VERY old goose hunters lol. Hope everyne had a good day 2 it will have to be day 3 for me.

Bucks&Ducks
10-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Well this morning the curse was ended, the old OCD guy came out and we set up in the same place with the same blind that was left there from last hunt and he refused to hunt with the shells when the dakotas were available.

Around 8:15 the first single came in low but didnt commit and even though we normally give them a free pass this one was not so lucky and thus the curse was ended(so I thought), everything was quiet for a while until 9 when a flock of 6 came in with wings set and just when I was about to call the shot I saw the farmer hauling firewood on the other side of the field directly in line with the kill hole, The timing could not have been anyworse and they walked away unscathed,

the next half hour was that of complete carnage as 7 more fell victom to flying steel and we walked away with 4 a piece

sorry guys these are not leaving the flock as the breaking in period is over

Foxton Gundogs
10-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Well this morning the curse was ended, the old OCD guy came out and we set up in the same place with the same blind that was left there from last hunt and he refused to hunt with the shells when the dakotas were available.

Around 8:15 the first single came in low but didnt commit and even though we normally give them a free pass this one was not so lucky and thus the curse was ended(so I thought), everything was quiet for a while until 9 when a flock of 6 came in with wings set and just when I was about to call the shot I saw the farmer hauling firewood on the other side of the field directly in line with the kill hole, The timing could not have been anyworse and they walked away unscathed,

the next half hour was that of complete carnage as 7 more fell victom to flying steel and we walked away with 4 a piece

sorry guys these are not leaving the flock as the breaking in period is over

OH NO!!!! A NEW CURSE HAS ARISEN........The infamous "CURSE OF 4" that I experienced in the early season.

Please keep it with you I've had enough of it for this year lol!

But better the curse of 4 than cursed deeks I do suppose, LMFatAO

Bucks&Ducks
10-09-2011, 08:00 PM
OH NO!!!! A NEW CURSE HAS ARISEN........The infamous "CURSE OF 4" that I experienced in the early season.

Please keep it with you I've had enough of it for this year lol!

But better the curse of 4 than cursed deeks I do suppose, LMFatAO

Fortunatly not, I went out agian for the evening flight with another guy and got my last bird and he got 3 as well, the curse has deffinatly lifted

longshot
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey Mr. Bucks&Ducks, I think we were hunting near you today this morning?? If you heard lots of shooting in your general area, we were the closet shots to your {W}{SW} on a piece of private land. There were literally thousands of geese flying out on the chuck this morning, and at one point it was a serious war zone!! Right around 9 am it was raining cheeks pretty good all around the bay! Slow moving with the calm weather after that though, just some mallards and teal here and there.

We did good on geese on Saturday though out on a nice corn/grass field!! Our GHG FFD's worked juuuust fine ;) Depending on how tired my dad and I are, we might head out for more honkers in the a.m....

longshot jr.

Bucks&Ducks
10-09-2011, 09:44 PM
good luck if you have at em tomorrow, I never saw a single duck all day except this evening after shooting time, I never heard a single all morning, were you near cow bay or near North of chemanius estuary where I was?

longshot
10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Ya we were down near cow bay, things had just added up that it might have been you near us today, but I guess not haha. Anyways, sounds good that you got the curse put to rest!! It seems to be like that with a lot of things... whether its fishing, hunting, or the damn dead battery in camera curse.... ;)

Good luck to you on bringin' em' in close!!

longshot jr.

Bucks&Ducks
10-09-2011, 09:54 PM
It probably will be sometime in the future as I do most of my hunting in that area, however none of my fields held anything so I had to go to plan B farther north

lorneparker1
10-09-2011, 10:37 PM
So what was different today then the other days that had the birds coming in?

Bucks&Ducks
10-09-2011, 11:27 PM
So what was different today then the other days that had the birds coming in?

youre guess is as good as mine, same blind, same location, birds from the same roost, it just all came together

Foxton Gundogs
10-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Fortunatly not, I went out agian for the evening flight with another guy and got my last bird and he got 3 as well, the curse has deffinatly lifted

AHHH but I'd be warry the number 4 it is prominant in your total here as well. lt MAY be time for a exorcisum or counter spel or SOMETHINGl......one can never be too careful LOL
Way to go "anyway"

shotgunjohn
10-19-2011, 07:57 AM
That's what makes goose hunting so much fun. Just when you think you have them figured out they do something different. Makes it all the more sweet when it all comes together.