PDA

View Full Version : Drake to Hen ratio?

FirePower
10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
All right lads heres a question that only checking the decoys prior to opening day with a long time hunting partner(over a "few" glasses of Macallan) could possibly produce. Seemsit has always been up to the one who sets the deeks to do it his way with the other mumbeling under their breath "it's wrong". HBC members you get the final say who is right we agree to go with the majority.

When putting out a Mallard set what is the "best" Drake to Hen ratio to set?

1...Heavy to Drakes
2...Heavy to Hens
3...50/50
4...Doesn't seem to matter.

The fate of opening day "success" is in your hands:shock:

Ian F.
10-07-2011, 06:20 AM
I'd rather be on the X then anything else!

Crazy_Farmer
10-07-2011, 06:54 AM
If you wanna be as realistic as possible. Showing the real birds what they'd normally see out there, these first couple weeks would be heavy on hens, because so many drakes haven't turned yet. But then if your really smart you'd know you have you play reverse phycolgy on the birds and run mainly drakes. It's more of an attraction all that colour.

I shouldn't say it doesn't matter but in the back on my head I know it might matter sometimes but more often then not the birds are coming in range to your setup just looking at the shape, shadow and silhouette of the decoys not the colouring.

Freshtracks
10-07-2011, 07:01 AM
I'd always go 70/30 on the hens. Nothing like a party of gals to drop into. ;)

Ian F.
10-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Almost forgot, I always run 83% hens in my goose spread, exact opposite in my brant rig where it's 76.5% drakes

Crazy_Farmer
10-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Almost forgot, I always run 83% hens in my goose spread, exact opposite in my brant rig where it's 76.5% drakes

Thats what I've been doing wrong brant hunting!!!!!!

FirePower
10-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Apparently this poll made MUCH more sense AFTER the Macallans than BEFORE coffee (with a SLIGHT hangover)LOL

Foxton Gundogs
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
DAMN....Probably why I cant seem to get that 5th goose. Where can I get some of these Hen Goose decoys you speak of. Gotta have some.
Never gave it any thought but Crazy Farmer makes sense, I always have run heavy to hens at the start of the season and 50/50 duting the later season. Just the way its "always" been since I was a kid taging along with my family on the Ladner mud flats.

FirePower
10-07-2011, 11:13 AM
DAMN....Probably why I cant seem to get that 5th goose. Where can I get some of these Hen Goose decoys you speak of. Gotta have some.
Never gave it any thought but Crazy Farmer makes sense, I always have run heavy to hens at the start of the season and 50/50 duting the later season. Just the way its "always" been since I was a kid taging along with my family on the Ladner mud flats.

And I thought you were a waterfowler. Just take some of you wifes MOST EXPENSIVE jewllery hang it on 1/2 your decoys and tuck your CREDIT CARDS under a wing and you will be good to go.

Bucks&Ducks
10-07-2011, 02:31 PM
^^^^^lol

either that or the new zink dekes supposedly reproduces male/female and dominant/subdominant birds

10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Great,,, Something more to think about with the decoys!
Never thought sex would matter when setting up a spread.

Foxton Gundogs
10-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Great,,, Something more to think about with the decoys!
Never thought sex would matter when setting up a spread.
Hey Dru sex ALWAYS matters lol

FirePower
10-08-2011, 01:08 PM
All right lads heres a question that only checking the decoys prior to opening day with a long time hunting partner(over a "few" glasses of Macallan) could possibly produce. Seemsit has always been up to the one who sets the deeks to do it his way with the other mumbeling under their breath "it's wrong". HBC members you get the final say who is right we agree to go with the majority.

When putting out a Mallard set what is the "best" Drake to Hen ratio to set?

1...Heavy to Drakes
2...Heavy to Hens
3...50/50
4...Doesn't seem to matter.

The fate of opening day "success" is in your hands:shock:

Well Opening day was great. 4 shooters (2 veterans, 2rookies), 2 blinds, (same slough) 2 decoy sets 1-70/30 heavy to Drakes and 1-70/30 heavy to Hens VERDICT- Ducks don't seem to give a damn, action was about equal. Heavy hens produced 2 more birds but to be fair the heavy drakes lost a crip dispite some great dog work. So 1 bird diffrence at the end of the day.
Thanks to all who took part in the poll.