PDA

View Full Version : Release type

troutseeker
09-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I have a Bear bow and it came with a mechanical release. The dang thing hangs from the wrist and has a trigger on it. I hate it... Always used to shoot my old PSE and Hoyt using a finger tab and that worked well for me.
Now these bows had longer linbs and there was no finger pinch, can I get by shooting this shorter bow finger only? If I recall properly I might also need ot change the arrow rest, it currently has a two pronged one, and I guess I should go to a spring rest?

What do you guys think???

Troutseeker

Canuck2
09-14-2006, 12:28 PM
How long is the bow, and what is its brace height? In general, you should be looking at least in the high 30's to be long enough to shoot fingers. I shot fingers for years, too, and was forced to switch because I bought a short bow that I really liked. It took a little while to get used to the release (like yours - wrist strap and trigger) but it made me a much more accurate shooter. Too much finger pinch will really send your arrows all over the place. So, if you can find your way to getting comfortable with the release, I think that's the best solution.

Bow Walker
09-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Canuck2 is right on the money. The A2A is critical for eliminating finger pinch when shooting with fingers.

If the bow - which is a quality bow, btw - is too short then the best thing to do is to get used to the release. You will be amazed at the accuracy you will immediately gain.

What kind of release is it?

troutseeker
09-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Humm, bow length (wheel to wheel) 44". Brace 8.5". The release says James Green on it. I always liked walknig around and when I spotted game it was nothing to nock and arrow and get ready to shoot using the finger tab. With the release it is a production and a half, slower and the stupid thing knocks around and makes noise when you hit a limb with it!!!

Bow Walker
09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
If you're married to the finger-flinger type of shooting - stick with it. You gotta use and do what is most comfortable for you.

Although, don't get rid of the release until you are absolutely sure you don't want anything to do with it. Try playing with it at the range a few times, practice with it - give it a chance. After doing that - if it is a no go, flog it off or donate it to the local pro shop.

The length that you report is ample for finger shooting, providing you are measuring from "axle to axle" this means just what it says. Is the measurement over 38" ?? Great, you're good to go.

Also......you mentioned that you thought that you should change your rest?? Short answer is - yes. Change to a finger shooter's rest, which is the spring type.

Good luck and happy shooting,
Dan.

troutseeker
09-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Hi Dan,

I have been using the release and practice a lot with it. Yes I am "accurater" with it, I just don't like the fact that it is less intuitive to get the bow ready to shoot. I'll stick with it for this season and will switch next year if I find I miss a shot due to lack of time setting up. I mostly stalk and do not hang in trees so that's where my issue is...

Thanks, Troutseeker

Bow Walker
09-16-2006, 10:02 AM
There are those type of mechanical release aids that do attach to the string and just sit there waiting for you. Fletcher makes a Concho release and lord knows there are lots of "back tension" thumb type releases out there.
http://www.fletcherarchery.com

Personally, I use a release that goes on my wrist and have not found it to be a problem yet. Good luck out there.

Dan.