PDA

View Full Version : More bucks than bears

Lt
05-27-2004, 09:35 PM
I was out looking for a big bruin last weekend in the southern okanagan and in the process of looking for a bear we came across a pile of bucks in velvet. In two days we seen 5 bears none of which were shooters, but to our amazement we seen 12 bucks. 7 were whitetails and 5 were mulies. It seems to me the buck numbers are on the rise. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen an increased number of bucks while looking for bears?

Lt

jackychiles
05-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Cool
I was out last weekend in the north shuswap and saw 14 whitetails of which 5 were bucks, cow and a calf moose, 3 mulies of which 2 were bucks and 1 bear that got away. Always fun spring time.

Jacky

Steeleco
05-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Don't forget guy these beats have a bulit in calendar. their alarm goes off sept 10. :lol: :lol:

oldtimer
05-28-2004, 07:23 AM
That's true Steelco but BOWHUNTING starts September 1. !!!! :D :D
As to the ratio of bucks to does I can't say we have seen any huge amount bucks but most of the deer we have seen have been too far away to clearly see any horns...................Mike

Rufus
05-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Yes, I've been seeing quite a few bucks myself, :o more whitetails than mulies. But like steeleco said, :lol: sept 10 no more bucks. 8O

Gateholio
05-28-2004, 09:52 PM
I've seen dozens and dozens of deer, and a number of bears, but none I could positively say "That is a shooter!"

Except one tonight...I was driving home, and there was a %^&*( HUGE bear in the ditch off the highway. I could clearly see that his ears were at 10 and 2 o'clock..

I had the rifle in my truck, but I had no intention of killing a bear on the side of the road :D

Steeleco
05-29-2004, 07:52 AM
Hey Gatehouse all you had to do was ask him to follow you a 1/4 mile into the bush :lol: :lol: :lol:

bill
05-29-2004, 09:01 AM
maybe part of the reason for seeing all the bucks is cause the does are dropping little ones and staying out of sight and putting the run on the boys. maybe :?: . still a good sign though..just watched a cow moose licking her brand new twins dry in 7. 18. nice too be able too come across nature at her best. no camera of course :!:

Steeleco
05-30-2004, 09:39 PM
I took my 8 year old son out today for his first ridealong. We went upto Kentucy Lake area, 8-6 and pothole creek 3-12. Put on a lot of K's but he saw 35 deer 15 bucks 20 does, and even a young bull moose, so young it had tennies ball nubbs on it's grape. Not one Bear Oh well I know for sure I've got me a new hunting bud. My best day hunting to date and I didn't even shoulder my rifle once.

3kills
05-31-2004, 05:13 AM
some nice areas u went to...i m a little surpised u never seen a bear though...good luck next time out and congrats on a good first trip with ur son...he will remember that day for ever now...

ruger#1
07-31-2005, 09:30 AM
maybe they will open it up to 2 whitetail bucks like it was in 1996 sorry oldtimer i have to correct you. antlers on deer horns are on my truck.

Rob
08-01-2005, 07:14 PM
I cant believe the amount of bucks ive seen this year around Merritt/Logan Lake area, i'm always seeing deer in previous years on my way to work but never this many bucks.(mostly all mulies). and i've only seen one bear in the last 2 mos. :confused:

Red Foreman
09-01-2005, 07:09 AM
I know what you mean Dewey,I was seeing a ton of bears early on but it's been quite awhile since I've seen one.I'm with you on the bucks as well seen lots this year,some pretty nice ones as well.