PDA

View Full Version : unlucky in Cranbrook

LOC
09-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Well, we (my wife and puppy) headed up to Cranbrook on the 3rd to meet up with Poguebilt and do a little hunting (she was also going up to visit her parents).

Met up with Jay early Monday and headed to camp. Pulled in and there was 3 whitetails on the trail to camp! A doe and 2 fawns, called the doe in to about 15 yards and seriously contempated taking her, but the fawns still had spots and I decided to pass. That evening we spooked a small heard of deer on the way to our hunting spot. Tried to call them in with out any luck.

Tues and Weds morning passed without much excitement, just one lonely chicken and lots of puppy play. Weds afternoon we went in to town to visit the in-laws. My wife and puppy stayed in town and I went back out to the bush (need to put a small side bar here. My wife had been having problems sleeping and eating and went in the walk'n clinic in Cranbrook, they gave her a rxn for T3, she called her dentist at home and set-up a root-canal for that friday morning) to pack up camp and do a last evening, early morning hunt before heading back to the coast (2 days early).

Weds I get back to camp around 15:00 and pack up most of my gear that I wont need for the rest of the trip. At 16:00 I hit my hunting spot.

Hearing a rustling in the bush I get ready, wait and watch. The sound is coming right at me and then... a rabbit bursts from the bush and runs past me into the back side of the trail. A while passes, my heart goes back to normal and I start hearing something else down the trail, I give a few bleats on the doe call and it starts coming toward me, a few more bleats and it's coming pretty quick, cresting the small hill ~30 yards from me comes a good size black bear. At this point (~1930) being close to sun-set and by myself I decide tracking an arrowed bear wouldn't be the best idea, quit blowing on the bleat and the thing stops coming. After a few minutes with my 45/70 close at hand the bear moves on and I go back to sitting (but a little more nervous than before). Around 20:00 I start the short walk back to camp and hear more noises in the steep, densely brushed gully. I stop and listen and give a blow on the grunt (figured it'd be safer than the bleat 8-) ) and sure enough it starts thrashing in the brush... walking towards a clearing a bit further down the trail where I'd have a better shot when/if it came out I grunted along the way with it keeping pace below me. Getting to the spot I had in mind in kept grunting while listening to the thing below, while out of the corner of my eye in another part of the clearing a smaller black bear appears and then saunters off. I keep grunting and finally catch a few glimpses of a buck down in the gully. We keep this up, me grunting and him thrashing until dark but he never gave me shot.

The next morn'n I did a bit more calling and had the smaller bear come in for a look.

After that it was back in to town to p/u the wife and puppy and hit the coast.

All in all not too bad a hunt, and after the root canal the wife can eat and sleep again - now I can't wait until next weekend when I can get to the lake for some rifle hunting :)

Poguebilt
09-10-2006, 09:33 AM
your welcome for showing you my spot that I had scouted out since may....

now its rifle season and my turn tonight.... :lol: