PDA

View Full Version : Al little bit of my fishing history..

Iron-Head
09-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Years ago I guided a guy by the names of Gordon Mackenzie, On my local creek (Chapman creek). He was wanting to do an article on me for BC outdoors magazine called the "Chapman Creek Kid". Any ways the article wasnt a big deal just a neat thing for a nine year old! I do not have a copy of it any more so I cannot post it up here. But I jsut thought I would share a few pics from that day!
I have a whole cd of pics but I cant find it so I only have 4 for now, I will put more up later.

A nice little Wild Coho - http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/Symon_02/HPIM0221.jpg

A big Chum caught on 8 lb test and a single egg pattern- http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/Symon_02/Hpim0239e.jpg

Me fighting that big Dog - http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/Symon_02/HPIM0234.jpg

One more little chromer! - http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l7/Symon_02/HPIM0229.jpg

More pics to come!
Symon

Iron-Head
09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Sorry for the huge pics...:lol:

MB_Boy
09-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Nice pics symon!

Elkhound
09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
LOL.....nice hair you little Roberts Creek Hippie.......:lol::lol::lol:

Just teasin ya Symon.....thats cool. Try and find the article.

Iron-Head
09-07-2006, 02:57 PM
LOL.....nice hair you little Roberts Creek Hippie.......:lol::lol::lol:

Just teasin ya Symon.....thats cool. Try and find the article. LMAO haha .... I dont live in the creek any more!
:lol:

MB_Boy
09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
LOL.....nice hair you little Roberts Creek Hippie.......
Just teasin ya Symon.....thats cool. Try and find the article.

Damn....he beat me to the punch.....symon since you weren't in Horshoe Bay....I figured I couldn't take a pot shot at the "reddish mixing bowl haricut" you had tucked under your hat. :wink: :biggrin:

Elkhound
09-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Damn....he beat me to the punch.....symon since you weren't in Horshoe Bay....I figured I couldn't take a pot shot at the "reddish mixing bowl haricut" you had tucked under your hat. :wink: :biggrin:

It's okay......they let him keep the bowl.....he now uses it for popcorn and chips and stuff..:lol:

Iron-Head
09-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Haha you guys are to funny, I dont have long hair and its dark brown, I had died it orange earlier that year and it was losing its color.... as for the hair cut, No comment!:lol:

Joe89
09-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Those are some nice fish !!!. Those ones from last weekend where awesome also, cooked them up that night, thanks

Iron-Head
09-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Ok So I found the article....

Chapman Creel Kid
By: Gordan McKenzie
The O.K. Corral had Wyatte Earp and Doc Holiday. The Wild west had Jesse James and Billy the Kid. All deadly killers. The Chapman Creek Kid is every bit as lethal.... To salmon. He is my guide toady on the Chapman Creek, Near Davis Bay on the Sunshine Coast.

"Do a roll cast over there," as Symon indicated a log with a 4 to 5 foot patch of dark water beneath it. "Theres a chrome Coho about 6 pounds... Yeah Yeah a hatchery Coho ; you can keep it." The kid has the eyes of an eagle. The fish is spooked. We are fishing low clear water prior to the fall rains and have to move pool to pool.

I met the kid at Chapman Creek Hatchery a few weeks before our trip when I was arranging for a different story about fishing the estuary. He volunteers a couple days a week at the hatchery as part of his school program. He was eager to guide me on a trip to the creek. A few phone calls later and we are on the creek.

We are both using flies tied by Symon which he calls "Crazy Reds." They where the ugliest googly eyed things that you have ever seen, But are extremely successful. My guide was up 4 to 1 on me when he asked "Gordy do you have a sink tip line with you?" He was using a medium sink line and he was concerned that my slime line was not getting down into fish country. I didnt need to get hit over the head with a plank to get his drift. (Ahem)

We took a quick break and got into the Healthy lunch that I had packed: Coke, Monster pepperoni sticks, Chocolate bars and bananas. All was consumed in lightening-quick time so that we could get back to the fishing, (well, we decided we where too full to eat bananas.) Feeling a bit sheepish, I suggested that "mabey you shouldnt mention the junk food to your mom." "You meen the tofu chocolate bar, tofu pepperonie and Soy cola?" Point understood.

The guide was still schooling his client. First cast after lunch and Symon is kiyiyiyiing up the creek chasing a 21lb chum that was burning him into his backing . I was getting just a little bit bent out of shape as the Kid did a few more repeat performances. "Symon, Symon,... What the heck are you doing that I'm not?"

6 years on the creek taught him allot. " I cast the fly and let it sink down near the bottom. When I think that the fly is in that "fishy area" I start working it into the current giving it little twitches here and there, Its an action the coho cant resist."

"Kiyiyiyii...... I bellowed as I plodded up the creek chasing a chromer. Over my shoulder I shouted "you are my hero, Kid!"

" Kid, How many fish do you think we where into today?" With a little thought, He responded; "well we have landed 7 or 8 Bright Coho and lost quite a few too! We landed a couple big Chum and Too many pinks... Id say probably 15 to 20 fish." As we reluctantly sloshed across the creek on our way to the car I tried to keep a serios tone as I said Symon; "you know, Kid, you made several big mistakes that a good guide wouldn't make." unfortuneatly my laugh lines betrayed me.

"What where those mistakes," He asked. "well, you ran to the creek to get the best spot and first cast... at every Pool!"

"I did not." " you did too!" "also, Kid, you out fished your client.... that is rude. Symon, you have to understand that when your client is paying as much mucho dineros to guide them on the Kispiox or the Stamp, they expect the first fish and the most fish. Later they may allow the guide to fish."

" While we are waitig for your mom, Do you mind if I tape a short interview with you?" We kicked back on the hood of my Volvo beater and I got to know the Chapman Creek Kid better: "My first fish was a 2 and a half pound rainbow trout on Kootenay lake When I was 2 and I have always had a passion for fhsing since then. I want to be a river guide when I am older, On one of those awesome rivers you see on TV. I'm obbsessed with fishing and I love camping and I want to fulfill that dream some day."

We finished just as Symon's mom arrived. " you know, Symon, I bet this wont be the last time we fish together." He got noticabley Stoked!; " Yeah for sure you should come back later in the fall when there more water. Big pit bulls move into the Oxbow and power line pools."

"Pit bulls?" Yea, we call big chinook Pit bulls Or locamotive's. Last year my friend got a 39 pounder....."

So mabey Ill come back at the end of fall to fish for the big Pit Bulls of Chapman Creek, With the Oh So Lethal, Chapman Creek Kid!

bsa30-06
09-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Awesome story symon.Don't loose it thats something you should keep.

Elkhound
09-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Thats great Symon......I could picture you there the whole time......very cool. You should get that framed or put it in a scrapbook to keep. Truly one of the best stories I have read in a while

Iron-Head
09-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Glad you guys liked it! It was lots of fun

PGKris
09-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Man, that kicks ass. You grew up lucky. I started at 2 as well, but I never had my first crack at salmon till I was 17. You don't know how lucky you are.
Kris

MB_Boy
09-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Cool story Symon!! 8-)

BCrams
09-08-2006, 09:40 AM
I enjoyed the story Symon and I'm sure that won't be the last we'll hear about your fishing exploits.

elkster
09-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Way too cool Symon!

Iron-Head
09-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Man, that kicks ass. You grew up lucky. I started at 2 as well, but I never had my first crack at salmon till I was 17. You don't know how lucky you are.
Kris Thanks guy, Glad you liked the story!
Kris, not to rub it in but I got my first spring when I was six! It was only 9 pounds but a good one to say the least!
Oh and hey, I was out this evening and was into 3 fish 2 Coho and a chomer chum..
:twisted:

Iron-Head
10-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Well guys I think I have stepped it up a notch with the amount of fish My self and friends pull out of that river,
I hit it the other Night with a man named Jason Tweegs and his friend Clay Martinson and I was "guiding" them on the creek for the after noon. First off I set up with the Secret gear I have been gettin em on, and then we proceeded to walk the creek. Well to make a long story short, between 3 people in one night and about 3 Kms of creek we got, 63 Coho and 13 Springs...:lol: Lets just say they had a good time packin their limits out ..

P.S. What do you guys think, Should a start a new trend. Back pack fishing trips, You would need a pack frame and enuff' muscle to carry out the equivalent of a small moose quarter, If you where to get your limit:)

Elkhound
10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
I think so.......:eek: Symon showed me how to fish that place on Sunday after we saw no bucks in the morning. I hiked out of there with a 20lb spring, 15lb spring, and a 15lb coho. Symon is the man.:cool: Thanks again for a great 1.5hrs of fishing Symon.

Symon.....ps. your message box is full. Clear those out eh.

And it's 10:45 pm.....isn't past your bedtime

Joe89
10-29-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking, I'm going to have to take you up on your bear offer, and maybe catch a few fish at the same time, lol.

vislander
11-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Great story symon ,recalls a lot of funny stories from childhood