PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Kawasaki 4x4 400 Bayou

ratherbefishin
09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
anybody own one and have an opinion,good bad or indiferent?

Phred
09-05-2006, 03:05 PM
anybody own one and have an opinion,good bad or indiferent?
I have a 98 and my buddy has a 96. They have both been great so far. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
Are you buying one? How much $?

ratherbefishin
09-05-2006, 03:46 PM
The ad says''little use,winch included ''asking $4700.Not knowing a thing about them,I think I'd ask for it to be serviced before I made an offer

Schmaus
09-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Unless its in really really good clean unscratched shape I think its a little pricey. I would say for $5000 you should be able to get into a 98 or newer 400 without any problems.

ratherbefishin
09-05-2006, 04:25 PM
what would you say is ''low mileage'' and what price ranges do these models sell at, from''excellent'' to ''beat up''condition

Schmaus
09-05-2006, 04:42 PM
If that bike is in decent shape I would pay around $3500 - 4000 if it seemed to run and ride good. Miles don't mean as much to me on a four stroke as a two stroke as long as it doesn't blow a lot of blue smoke out the pipe when you ride I wouldn't worry. You should be able to tell if it has been bagged on just by looking at it. Thats just my opinion if you like the bike and don't think that you are going to find anything else around for a while, then I would buy it. You are buying a bike when I would think they are worth the most, just before hunting season.

ratherbefishin
09-05-2006, 06:51 PM
I know-right before hunting season isn't the time to buy.But-I'd sure like to hear from guys who owned the Kawasaki Bayou, good, bad or indiferent,what they liked,didn't like-reliablity,gas mileage etc

Phred
09-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Likes: I like the power of mine. Compared to a freinds Yamaha 400, mine always has more jam. The fuel tank is quite large, so you don't have to fill as often. It has duel front disc brakes that work great. The quad is not huge and has a low center of gravity, so it fits on trails and trailers well. Straight axle is good for towing a trailer. The model didn't change much over the years so parts are cheap on Ebay. Front and rear racks are big and made of steel.

Dislikes: Mounting a winch in the front is a pain (raidiator is in the way), so I mounted mine on the back. Putting it in reverse can be akward with heavy gloves.

Hope that helps...

ratherbefishin
09-05-2006, 08:59 PM
thanks,much appreciated.Can you tell me about reliability, repairs,breakdowns,if any?

Phred
09-06-2006, 05:58 AM
I did my own timing chain last year and a ball joint. With a manual, it was easy (Ebay was 1/4 the price than the local Kawi shop).
Other than a ripped cv boot (easy to repair) I can't think of anything else. The bike starts everytime, warm weather or cold.

I agree with Schmaus, that you will be paying a premium this time of year. The price seems kinda steep to me.