PDA

View Full Version : First Bowhunt?unsuccesfull

bsa30-06
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Well just got home from my first bowhunt, unfortunately not a suceesfull one.To go along with 30 degree weather, the hills in the lytton area of 3-17 were filled with smoke from the washington fire, at one point it was so thick it was burning my eyes.I'm not using this as an excuse for a unsucessful hunt i simply just didn't get the job done and will have to try something different next time.Had one scary moment saturday afternoon walking back out along an abandoned logging road when a chocalate sow came running over the bank of the road about twenty yards in front of me and right towards me.When she finally realized i was there she was about 15 yards away and stopped so fast she left skid marks on the road, she turned so fast and went the other way that her 2 cubs that were following up the rear ran right past her and directly at me.One stopped and ran the other way with mom, but the other one ran right past me and into the bush on the side of the road then turned and headed off with mom.A little scary for a moment but i'm sure those bears were a little scared to.All in all it was a good weekend saw those three bears and about 2 dozen grouse and 6 or 8 rabbitts.Next time i'll find where those deer are hiding.

BlacktailStalker
09-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Thats too bad. I'd imagine if you were uncomfortable then so were the animals so they'd probably move? At least you got out there, I'm a firm believer that any time in the field is a good time in the field!

bsa30-06
09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I agree , and i had a great time getting back out there.However that bear almost made me crap my pants, scary at the time but now i think it was a funny thing to see.That bear looked like it was in a cartoon sliding down the road while its back legs were going in reverse.On top of that she and her cubs were a beautiful brown color.

cowboy-up69
09-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Thats always shitty to be unsucssefull, but hey, it happens to the best of us. Not the end of the world, just means that your going to get a bigger buck or bear or whatever later on!!! Give you more time to hunt! Good luck next time buddy!

mcrae
09-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Same for me. Hot weather, lots of smoke,and lots of bugs! I did however see a crap load of deer and I manged to stalk within 40 yards of numerous deer but alas it was still to far away for me......... I am good to about 25 yards with my recurve and I just couldn't get that close! It was all spot and stalk for me. Shoulda bought a tree stand:frown: I spent 9 days bow hunting in total and it was still better than work! I definetly have a great deal of respect for the guy that uses nothing but a bow! Not sure I am ready to give up my rifle just yet:) . I learned a hell of alot though observing the deer closer than usual and having to stalk close to them. The whole experince is going to make me a better hunter in general.

greybark
09-09-2006, 10:01 PM
:lol: Hey BSA30-06 , I disagree with Cowboy`s "unsuccessful is shitty" post and if you take time to reflect on what really happened and the challenges you faced on this outing . Heck with the hot weather , smoke and your first bowhunt you learned alot that will fall into place on your next hunt.
:) Hey mcrae555, Learning can be a part of enjoying the Bowhuntong and you seem to be doing well . Keep it going .
:) Good luck to both of you.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

cwocarsten
09-09-2006, 10:32 PM
My best bowhunt was not bagging anything. I was in a stand by shut my mouth creek and never tell mountain. I was a little tired waiting for the night rush of White tails to the field and yes dozed off. I woke NO LIE with a coyote jumping over me feet on my chest and my blind (I could have grabbed it). I was startled but I think I scared the coyote more as its face and bug eyes were within a foot and a half of mine. YES I was awake after that.

bsa30-06
09-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks Greybark.I had a great time on my trip and i still have a couple treestand locations to try out, can't try them all in one weekend.

yote
09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
On our hunt last week I saw many deer and elk but getting to within range and being able to draw etc without getting busted was really difficult. We got lucky and got a cow elk on day one and on my last night I tried my climber stand for the first time and was able to bag a deer. It makes a huge difference having a stand, even though I hate just sitting for so long. It's amazing how much easier it is to ambush a deer while in a tree compared to when I was on the ground. I will still hunt on the groud too, but a stand is a very good asset, fun too.

Elkhound
09-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Nice try buddy. Next time.....

I want to start bow hunting as well...maybe start for next years spring bear