PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Bluing

30-06
09-01-2006, 09:52 PM
i just got my new gun and it has a couple scrathes and scuffs in it..so im wondering if i should just re-blue the barrel or just wait till it gets worse then do it..

Steeleco
09-01-2006, 10:40 PM
I'd wait. To do a proper job is a fair bit of work. Not hard work just takes time. My 30.06 had a few nice scratches on it, it's getting a powder coat job early in the new year.

Barracuda
09-01-2006, 11:41 PM
I was thinking of browning one of my rifles anyone done this before? I have seen it and think it looks really nice

30-06
09-02-2006, 04:29 PM
ya i was going to do mine and my dad 30-06 it has some rust on the bluing so if iwas going to do his i might as well do mine to.

youngfellla
09-02-2006, 05:10 PM
i just got my new gun and it has a couple scrathes and scuffs in it..so im wondering if i should just re-blue the barrel or just wait till it gets worse then do it..

Check out Wholesale Sports catalogue. They have some touch-up materials for fixing little scratches. They're kind of like a felt-pen. They work okay, but need to be re-applied every so often.

I wouldn't worry about re-bluing over a few scratches - it just adds character.

elkster
09-02-2006, 07:42 PM
use the deep blue touch up stuff. Just make sure if there is rust to get rid of it. The stuff works good.

Chuck
12-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Powder coating? I'd be interested in hearing more about this idea!

Steeleco
12-17-2006, 01:33 AM
PC is a good product from the things I hear, but it's not getting any cheaper.
From begining to end I think my A-bolt was going to cost me around $300, it would be cheaper to sell it and buy a different one in stainless!!

Besides Youngfella is right, I tell you the tale behind every scratch!!!

One Shot
12-17-2006, 02:08 AM
I was thinking of browning one of my rifles anyone done this before? I have seen it and think it looks really nice

Yes I have done it several times in the past for BP rifles. There are a couple of ways to do it. Birch casey used to have a product as well as Brownells and then there is the non chemical method but it requires a hot or steam box. It is somewhat more labor intensive and requires some patience than the chemical process. There are a few BP books out that explain it in detail. Good luck, when done right produces a finish better than blued in my opinion.