PDA

View Full Version : Footwear for Stalking??

Stone Sheep Steve
08-30-2006, 09:17 AM
So what do you guys wear feet for making stalks in the early season? Or do you just take off your boots?

SSS

jessbennett
08-30-2006, 10:47 AM
usually with my hunting boots, i get some felt pack inserts(like for sorels), and i cut the bottoms off and shoe goo them to the bottom of my boots. felt packs are cheap and they last quite along time. youd be surprised on how quiet they make your boots..:smile:

FullDraw
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Crooked Horn Bush Sneakers, check'em out at crookedhorn.com

FullDraw

Kirby
08-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Once I am within 100 yards or so, I drop the boots and double up on the wool socks. Another thing that works is to Get coral booties like scuba divers use, or moccasins.

Kirby

huntwriter
08-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Depending on the weather conditions I wear a very light boot with a thin sole like the L.L.Bean Maine Hunter Boot. I also have been known to take of my boots and put on a pair of thick socks. In the cold winter I wear "bears feet" over my hunting boots. More often though I just wtach very carefully what's in front of me before I make the next step, in addition I put my foot down very gently. Should I make a noice I give a grunt on a game call or a turkey sound and stay still for a while. This has worked great for me in the past.

Ronforca
08-31-2006, 06:35 AM
I wear the hiking type runners.Most of our hunting before Nov.is dry.When it snows it does not matter so much so I wear regular hunting boot.I like to wear moccisans also when it is dry but you can break your neck on sidehills etc with them.

willyqbc
08-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Aqua-sox work great for dry warm weather, they have a very soft spongy bottom on them that I have found to be very quiet. Might be the same thing Kirby is talking about when he says "coral booties"...not sure.

Chris

Stone Sheep Steve
08-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys! I'll dig out my aqua socks for tomorrow. Good luck to all!

SSS

Kirby
08-31-2006, 08:01 PM
willyq, you got it right, aqua socks=coral boots

Kirby

Stone Sheep Steve
08-31-2006, 09:13 PM
willyq, you got it right, aqua socks=coral boots

Kirby
Yes, Coral boots as opposed to "Corrall" boots which is what Goat Guy and One-shot wear for a night on the town at the local cowboy watering hole-"The Corrall":lol: ie. "$hitkickers". G/G has hunted in those before!

SSS

steel_ram
09-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Sock's if the conditions dictate. Last deer I took I had to cross a patch of dry arbutus leaves. It was worth it!

GoatGuy
09-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Yes, Coral boots as opposed to "Corrall" boots which is what Goat Guy and One-shot wear for a night on the town at the local cowboy watering hole-"The Corrall":lol: ie. "$hitkickers". G/G has hunted in those before!

SSS

Those boots are killers! They've carried me up several mountains - I've also slid down most mountains. Not the preffered boot when it's -10 and there's 6" of the light and fluffy stuff, but they'll do.

I've got a pair of light moccasins on the way from Northern Ontario for stalking in the high country in september and bears in the spring. Normally just take my boots and socks off - adrenaline's usually going good enough that it doesn't make a big difference.

Will
09-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Thought these looked pretty good....for anyone that hasn't seen them:wink:
http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/store/store.pl?page=aa-stalkers