PDA

View Full Version : Possession License Question

PicToMan
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I completed the Possession Acquisition License test and have all the forms that I'll send in today (Aug 28th) or tomorrow, but I don't think I'll manage to get it back before I can go hunting. I already have my Hunter Number and completed the CORE stuff.

I'll only be in the hunting area until Sept 15th.

The instructor I took the test with said, to just take the copy of proof that I completed the test, and say I'm waiting for the actual license to be sent to me and that will be fine. My uncle (who will be taking me hunting) wasnt sure and called some of his friends who said, the Conservation Officers wont care, but the RCMP will. He said to look into getting a Possession Only License cause it's supposed to be quick and be able to be done online.

I tried looking up the POL and called some government place who said the POL is no longer offered except for renewals.

Is there anyway I can get some kind of Possession License before Sept 15th? ...I dont want to have to wait for 2 years before I go back to my Uncle's place to hunt for the first time.

Murder
08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
As far as I know. You have to have your actual PAL or POL card to carry a firearm alone. However, if you are going to be hunting with your uncle who has a PAL or POL, then as long as you have a valid hunting licence, you can carry a firearm without problem as long as you are within talking distance of him. As for a POL, they only renew existing POL's from 1998 and before. You will have to send in that application asap and then get on the phone after about 45 days and start nagging them. If I hadn't called when I did, I probably still would be waiting for mine. The reason I would assume that your CFSC papers aren't enough is that you still need to be approved for your PAL (criminal record/police record check). Hope this helps

Steeleco
08-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Your right you can't get a POL anymore. They stopped those some time back, the only ones available are the ones for renewal. If your close to the Surrey firearms office take it in, in person, it might help speed things up and will also afford you the oppertunity to ask this question of someone who will have the answers. Otherwise Like Murder said stay close to Unc and you'll be fine. It's very unlikely to see RCMP in the bush but they do sometimes accompany the C/O's at road checks. But the firearms will be in your uncles possession by then anyway!!

08-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Welcome to the board PicToMan.........go out and enjoy yourself hunting! As mentioned above, chances are slim it will amount to any problems. Personally l have been through both game checks and road checks with firearms on board and have never been asked for anything federal. Not saying they can't, but l haven't run across it yet.

Schmaus
08-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Ditto what 416 said, I hunted for two years without a pal and was stopped a lot of times. As long as someone in the vehicle had a pal or pol the game wardens and police didn't care.

brotherjack
08-28-2006, 05:16 PM
As has been mentioned - as long as you're hunting with someone who has a license, you're free and clear and totally legal. Every cop in the bush could question you, and you'd have nothing to hide or fear.

If you're running around with the gun on your own, I would think you're running the risk of getting into some trouble if you get caught (not that 'trouble' is really all that serious a thing when it comes to the ultra-liberal Canadian legal system, but I would avoid it, myself)...