PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your Salmon?

overthetop
08-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Besides eat them? How do you freeze them? Whole? Anyone cut them into steaks? That's what I am thinking of doing so I can just have a little peice whenever I want it. How thick should I make them?

BlacktailStalker
08-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I like to freeze a few tail steaks as the tail is the most flavourfull. Never much more than an inch thick. Sometimes I'll freeze a whole side of a coho for cedar plank coho (if it makes it past going on the bbq fresh!)but I smoke the majority of my salmon, I can never eat enough of that! Anything going into the freezer gets vacuum sealed.

Ronforca
08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I like to cut them up into pieces about 2 in .thick and freeze in vacuum bags.Very good broiled in the oven.I also like to smoke some and we also can some.Some of the ones that we can we light smoke first or add a bit of liquid smoke.We do mostly Sockeye.

dime
08-27-2006, 03:55 PM
We remove all scales with a serrated steak knife, then cut off the fillets (remove bones). We then put individual portions in medium sized freezer bags, making sure to squeeze out all the air and then 3 packages into a large freezer bag. We have a vaccum sealer as well, but the rolls are very expensive and not much better than the freezer bags as long as you are careful to remove as much air as possible from the bags. Usually they are good in the deep freeze for a year this way.
This year we also smoked some and then canned it- very tasty!

~T-BONE~
08-27-2006, 07:33 PM
I fillet all the springs and socks usually cryovac then freeze.Most will get used by the spring so freezer burn isn't an issue. Doing them up in fillets is convinent for smoking. Just pull out and dry rub, salt will help defrost them for you.

hoochie
08-28-2006, 03:02 AM
smoke it, freeze it, BBQ it, share it with friends and neighbors, take it to work after its smoked, give it away....
Steaks, fillets, smokes pieces,... its all good. White springs, pink and chum are for dog food.. anything red is for me and the family.

LUCKY
08-28-2006, 06:55 AM
A vacuum sealer is a great investment! You can get a good one at Costco now for around $150.00. Worth every penny. Also Costco is the cheapest place to by rolls of bags. Look for them on sale. You can get the box of 2 small rolls and 2 large rolls for $29.00.
Best thing to do is cut the fish into fillets or steaks and freeze the pieces on a cookie sheet for a few hours. This keeps the juices from getting into the sealer.

The fish tastes as good as the day you caught for over a year.

LUCKY

overthetop
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I was debating one of those sealers. I cut them into steaks and froze them in ziploc bags after I sucked all the air out with a straw.

BlacktailStalker
08-28-2006, 04:37 PM
I could never get the freezer bags fully airlocked. I gave in and bought a foodsaver pro and man was it worth it.

Sideofabarn
09-19-2006, 03:21 PM
I got one of the foodsavers as well, definitely worth the investment. A little note here, check to see if the one you want has a seal only feature. Mine doesn't, and I wish it did, saves running the vacuum for no reason when sealing the bottom of a bag. Also, try keeping the caudal peduncle (wrist of the tail) from a spring for a roast. My buddy got a smoker recently and we slow roasted a sockeye in it, man that was good eats. Good luck with your salmon cutting.

rugeer
09-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Very good sugestions all,just a quick tip,rather than use a knife to scale your fish,use your garden hose with sprayer on jet works slick

PGKris
09-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I let them go.... :mrgreen:

dawn2dusk
09-20-2006, 09:20 AM
VACUMN SEALERs are GREAT for freezing. Especially if your going to freeze more than month.

I also use pressure cooker to jar salmon. THis is great for lunches. PRe cooked eat right out of jar. To spice things up I sometime lightly marinade and smoke some salmon and then jar. wooooowheeeee.....that will please your taste buds.