PDA

View Full Version : Overdraw?

bsa30-06
08-26-2006, 04:56 PM
A guy i work with was telling me he just had a overdraw system put on his bow.When i asked him exactly what it was or did he didn't seem to now.My question is what is a overdraw system, what does it do,are there advantages / disadvantages, is this a practical set up for a hunting bow?My opinion is if he can't answer the questions i just asked he probably doesn't need it!!

jessbennett
08-26-2006, 05:17 PM
what an over draw does is esentially extends the arrow shelf rearward toward your string and allows the arrow rest to be mounted further back, enabling you to shoot a shorter arrow.but.... it also reduces the overall shootability of your bow. what i mean is the farther you can have your arrowrest away from your string the more forgiving your bow will be. its kinda the same theory as brace height and. the more brace height you have the more forgiving your bow will be. thats why alot of top competitive shooters shoot bows with high brace heights. they are a more acurate bow overall. over draws were quite popular in the 80's and early 90's as the bows were much slower than todays bows. the theroy was if i can shoot a shorter arrow, it will be lighter thuss be faster. in todays day and age, with technology the way it is, the overdraw is not needed and in my opinion obsolete. its not very common to see a bow out there today that is not at 300 fps or better.combined with higher brace heights, you have lethal hunting machines that are not a nightmare to shoot. in my opinion get a bow with at least a 7 inch brace height and practice practice, and more practice. speed cannot over rule accuracy. hope this helps:)

bsa30-06
08-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanxs for the info.This guy shoots the same bow i have a browning rage and i'am confident that if i do my part there will be a dead animal on the ground.He was told by a older fellow that he should have this put on his bow so without doing any research or asking any questions he got it done , and when i asked him what exactly this overdraw would do he couldn't answer the question.I can't say it often enough if you don't know ask.I hope this new set up doesn't cause any problems for him on his up coming trip next week.Thanks again for the info.

greybark
08-26-2006, 08:28 PM
8-) Hey BSA 30-06 , Jess a great post,Like you stated the purpose of the overdraw (now built in with the deflex riser) was to enable the archer to shoot a lighter weight and spine arrow . These lighter arrows may be fine for 3-d competitions but many are inadequate for hunting .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

bsa30-06
08-26-2006, 08:45 PM
thanks greybark, you now i thought i might have somebody to go hunting with when i found out this guy had a bow but over the last 6 months or so i've seen him make to many decisions with out doing his homework , and asking questions.I've come to the conclusion that i would rather hunt alone then with somebody who is constantly making decisions with out the proper info.

Walksalot
08-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Speed compensates for poor range guesstemation. Forget the overdraw and concentrate on accuracy in both shooting and distance guesstemation.
When hunting sometimes it is not possible to always use correct form and one is forced to become a contortionist. Have a bow/arrow combination which will allow for a bit of customizing of what is deemed to be "correct form".

FullDraw
08-27-2006, 09:30 AM
I used to use over draws on my Browning compounds in the late 80's early 90's. They are realy a waste of time you do get a little more speed but the create other problem as well. Being the arrow rest is moved back father it acts lite a lever and will throw your arrow off the mark if you move your wrist the slightest bit. I would stick with the set up you have know BSA it's nice and simple. I think to many guy's get crazy with all the cadgets on a hunting bow. Thats why I switched to traditional nice a simple nothing to go wrong.

FullDraw

BSA let me know if you need some one to bow hunt with.

Bow Walker
08-27-2006, 09:41 AM
bsa.........much good info here concerning your question.

When I changed from a "regular" rest to a "dropaway" I effectively added an overdraw to the bow. The d/a, while still attached to the bow in the "berger" hole, is situated further back than a regular rest. Hard to describe but if you compare the two the difference is quite apparent.

This d/a rest let me go from a "too long" 29" arrow, down to a much more efficient setup of 27". (i was over length to begin with - hence the 2" difference)

But. The "hunting" setup (IMHO) should be all about downrange kinetic energy and penetration of the animal in question. I set my bow up for hunting...........and I use the same setup for 3D. If and when I get too much money laying around - that's when there will be a 3D bow in my repertoire.

Good luck this year.

By the way, is this guy "at work" a member here? If not, it sounds like he could benefit by the accumulated knowledge that is available to him from this site.

Also - I, too, would be giving second and third thoughts to the question of whether or not to hunt with him, based on your comments. Been there done that, don't (won't) do it again! (just my nickel's worth - inflation, you know).

bsa30-06
08-27-2006, 09:46 AM
I have absolutely no intention to change my set up , it was put together the way it is for a reason.I've been practising with it this way for 9-10 months and to change something this close to hunting season would be insane.I had never seen an overdraw on a bow, and just because somebody says you should put one on is not reason enough for me to run out and do it with out first knowing what the hell it does and how it works, as most of you probably know i like to ask lots of questions and make well informed decisions.Thats how you learn to do things the right way.
FullDraw, we should get together for a hunt this year, sounds like a good idea.

bsa30-06
08-27-2006, 09:56 AM
BowWalker, no this guy is not a member here , i've told him many times about the site but he hasn't bothered to check it out.I've also tried many times to set up a time to go to the field and shoot with him but he always has a reason not to go.I think he doesn't like to shoot in public.Would you say that any rest that mounts behind the bow would in some way be an overdraw?i think i might print a copy of this conversation for him so he'll atleast now what the overdraw does, and when his shots start going all over the target he will now why.

Bow Walker
08-27-2006, 10:39 AM
BowWalker, no this guy is not a member here , i've told him many times about the site but he hasn't bothered to check it out.I've also tried many times to set up a time to go to the field and shoot with him but he always has a reason not to go.I think he doesn't like to shoot in public.Would you say that any rest that mounts behind the bow would in some way be an overdraw?i think i might print a copy of this conversation for him so he'll atleast now what the overdraw does, and when his shots start going all over the target he will now why.
If he is as "shy" as you say - then I think you are right to stay away. He seems not to want to put any effort into improving either knowledge or technique.

If you look closely at the design of Fall Away or Drop Away rests, they usually are mounted so that they extend about 1.5" to 2" behind the Berger Hole. This allows for the actual arrow support mechanism to "drop away" from the arrow upon release thus clearing both the arrow shaft as well as the fletching. So.........Yes, I would say that "any rest that mounts behind the bow would in some way be an overdraw".

Eagle1
09-03-2006, 09:04 AM
If he is as "shy" as you say - then I think you are right to stay away. He seems not to want to put any effort into improving either knowledge or technique.

If you look closely at the design of Fall Away or Drop Away rests, they usually are mounted so that they extend about 1.5" to 2" behind the Berger Hole. This allows for the actual arrow support mechanism to "drop away" from the arrow upon release thus clearing both the arrow shaft as well as the fletching. So.........Yes, I would say that "any rest that mounts behind the bow would in some way be an overdraw".

Your right Bowwalker, any rest that is behind the bow is a overdraw, but for the d/a to work they have to be behind the bowself, not to big of a deal cause the rest falls away after the first couple of inches and shouldn't be a influnce on the arrow from bow hand torqe. The big thing is to make sure the d/a has a capture of some kind for the arrow, cause if the arrow bounces off the rest it will more than likely fall on your bow hand, and in my experience the broadhead should be razor sharp{ Bowwalker doesn't need his left hand bandaged as well} http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_108.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYCA) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_19.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYCA)
Overdraws extend back over the wrist and any slight movment { torqe} will cause the rest to move left or right which causes a bigger error down range. I used them years ago for target { shorter,lighter arrow with aluminiums} but way to finiky for hunting.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYCA)

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZUxdm080YYCA (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb112_ZUxdm080YYCA&utm_id=7920)

Bow Walker
09-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanx for agreeing Bill.........it's not often I ger "acceptance" from the GURU.

bsa30-06
09-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanxs for all the info guys you have confirmed my thoughts on the overdraw,and i know understand what they do.You have also confirmed my belief in "if you don,t know what it does or how it works you probably don't need one."

bsa30-06
09-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Just a little update.This guy did manage to get an oppurtunity to take a deer on his trip but missed.I would have to think if he researched this overdraw a little more and knew what it did and how it worked and actually went out and shot some arrows with it to see how it affected his shooting he probably wouldn't have missed and would have had a succesfull trip.I also believe that if he had asked a few questions about it ha probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place.I'm glad it was a clean miss and not another story of a wounded deer running around suffering.I guess what i'm trying to say is for all you new comer bowhunters out there myself included please don't be afraid to ask questions it could make the difference between a sucessfull trip or a wounded animal, and if you make any chages to your bow before your trip get out and fling some arrows to see how it shoots.Thanks again for all the help and info you guys have provided, it has been a great help to me and i'm sure others who have read the reply's to all the questions i have asked.

Bow Walker
09-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Great advice 30-06! Hope people take the time to read this post. Young and Old alike - we can all learn from it.