PDA

View Full Version : Nootka. On fire.

BlacktailStalker
08-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Wow. Thursday night put us in Nootka in time to anchor and go to sleep. Up at 5am and headed off shore. After a slow 2.5 hours we finally hit our first fish. Slab on !!! Nice low twenties spring taken @ 101'. Shortly after I hammered another, same depth, same shelf but bigger, prob 27/28lbs. Next my buddy hooked a hammer, awesome 200 yard run and top water thrashing and after 2 more arm wrenching runs, we managed to net him. Another slab approaching 30lbs. We hit 10 fish in 5 hours ranging from 10-20lbs aside from the ones we kept and had to come back in because the wind picked up. I was feeling green too, and yacked lol. It'd been a while since I had done that. Anyways we made our way in to the tip of Bajo and immediately I had another beauty on and lost it. My buddy picked up another respectable high teens spring and we tossed er back. Nothing under twenty pounds was coming home. The fishing was just too good to limit out and leave! We hit a couple more at Bajo, including a double header which we lost both on and picked up after the bite slowed and headed to our "slab hole." The slab hole started off slow, but eventually I hooked into a bullet, man what a fight. 2 huge runs, the first mut have been 200yds+ and the second a good 50-75yds and some serious head shaking and sulking. he would just not come to the boat! Finally we got a look at him and he ended up being the biggest fish of our trip, 33/bs. Bonk! There's my limit. We hit a couple more as he still had to get his second keeper and we went out EXACLT the same way we did last trip. In the same spot at close to the same time. I just hung over the side to take a squirt and wham he yells "Fish on!" Then, wham ! My rod started banging and I couldnt stop peeing! I was like grab my rod for me! But he couldnt cause his fish was heading to sea lolol! So i kinda did a one hand rob grab/ hook set and finished my business and with my pants half falling down, played the fish! We ended up getting them both in, a 25 and a 30 to end the night! Unreal! We were both pretty ecstatic! We had enough light to go anchor up for the night and get our fish filleted and in the cooler, washed the deck down etc, heated up some soup and went to bed. Up at 5 again this am and the wind forecast was gale force so we decided to stay in instead of head out for hali's and we went to Bajo to start the morning. Very slow, two missed hits in 4 hours and only two fish caught around us. Definitely not like the previous day, but thats why its called fishing and not catching. My buddy did hit a nice fish eventually in the high twenties. Bonk. We decided to head back to the slab hole as lots of people were fishing Bajo with out much luck. We knew we werent missing out on anything by leaving. Right away at our hole we were into springs, nice ones. Two more in the nid-high twenties and a few under twenty. After a while we played around with jigs for a change of pace. A coupel small jacks, I lost a coho and a whack of mackerel for halibut bait and then we switched to mooching for fun. My buddy hit an awesome spring almost right away, the fish didnt even know it was hooked. We were in 30' of water and it was just sruising along for a long time before taking out line. IT was by far his best scrap of the trip as there was no flasher to fight. Nice fish too, a solid 22lbs and mint. We had our limit. We hung around for a while hoping for a coho but they just havent shown up in numbers yet, hardly at all actually. We never even saw any offshore in the swells or jumping. We did get a sockeye though which I forgot to mention. All in all, we were into 24 fish in two days, as well as missed 6 or 7 other takes. A few weeks back we were into 16 and I thought we would NEVER surpass that. Will add a few pics tomorrow. I'm goin to bed and getting up for opening bow season tomorrow.

Islandeer
08-26-2006, 08:18 PM
:smile: Wow!!

Darren
08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Sounds like it's gotten alot better than it was two weeks ago eh! I was fishing just north of rock bay yesterday and we caught 20 sockeye!

BlacktailStalker
08-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Nicely done! My buddy was up in Deepwater Bay and hit 10 in 2 hours. You hear about JP's brothers 50 pounder 2 nights ago and the 40 he got this morning!?! What slabs!

Darren
08-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I did hear about those Slabs, thats crazy. Makes ya wanna give it a try out front. Saw on the cover of the newspaper today that there were 4 tyees caught off the fishing pier within 1 hour the other day!

BlacktailStalker
08-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Crazy. My buddy hit 20+ sockeye this morning in deepwater bay. We should get out for another fish again soon.