PDA

View Full Version : Now that's what I call a wolf!

Marc
05-15-2004, 05:45 PM
The story goes something like this.

The wolf was tagged in Montana USA and shot three months later in McBride B.C. It supposedly weighed over
300 lbs.

Has anyone else ever heard of this monster? Is it real or just another story?

Marc.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/miscpic/wolf%20picture%20mcbride%20bc2.jpg

3kills
05-16-2004, 12:20 AM
i have never heard about it as of yet but if its true thats one hell of a wolf...willl have to do some research even though i m sure other people on here will find the facts faster then me.... :D

DBM
05-16-2004, 07:06 AM
8O

I don't know if that's 300 pounds, that's a little man for sure. None the less, look how fat that thing is!

Looks like a family pet who gets too much food and too little excercise. Possibly a wolf/hybrid kept as a pet and then released when they figured out they don't make good pets?

05-16-2004, 08:42 AM
That sure looks impressive, if indeed it is a pure wolf. The fellow with it is crouched quite a bit :?: ..... but still, the animal is a fair size beast!!!

bone-collector
05-16-2004, 10:29 AM
I beleive there was some hype about that dog a while back, cant remember but it was right around the time the boone and crockett opened a scorable section for wolves I beleive, as for size I will varify that they get that big, a fellow truck driver shot a 275lb timber wolf at tatsha reach by ootsa lake here back in the mid 90s in the winter while on a snowmobile trip into tweedsmuir park , and several trappers talk about big wolves they see on lakes in the winter

3kills
05-16-2004, 01:20 PM
those are some big wolves...

BCKID
05-16-2004, 08:08 PM
I tried every search engine I have and came up zip. I would like to get some more info on this fella!
BCKID

3kills
05-16-2004, 11:30 PM
i couldnt find anything either and the wolf thats in the bc book for record i dont think is that one...

todbartell
05-17-2004, 03:41 AM
that wolf dont look like 300 lbs...200 maybe. its a big one no doubt.

:oops:

Sniper
05-17-2004, 05:33 PM
I have seen them about that size near McBride, loved to hunt that country! :D I hope to run into one of those bigun's this fall when I am up in the ft. Nelson area.

bone-collector
05-17-2004, 06:08 PM
well theres no lack of them up there sniper I can garentee you that , dam things are killing off moose left right and center up were we guide, about half way between ft nelson and ft st john , straight north

Sniper
05-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Hey Bone-collector any tips on finding these puppies or drawing them out for a shot? If I get my Elk I'm going to spend the rest of my time hunting wolves hopefully I can take a couple off a gut pile if somebody bags their Elk. What about sitting ina tree stand 100yds off the gut pile and letting out the occasional howl? :twisted:

bone-collector
05-18-2004, 04:41 PM
that is 1 good way to get them yes another we found was quite successfull up there is if you have a river near by, canoe it, just sit back and drift it, we have had great luck in the morning catching them on the beach sunning themselves, another good lure it watch for a moose they have been chasing (and there lots of them up there) the tree stand would be a realy good plan and I would go with it, but remember up in that country the dogs are the least of your worries about comming to a gutpile, put in for a grizz draw there to if possible (its illegal to bait them I know but theres no shortage of the buggers up in that country)

Foxer
07-25-2004, 11:07 PM
looking at that pic-- i'd say that man is standing a good 10 ft or more behind the animal to skew the perspective. I don't see his feet on the snow and you can't see where the wolf is tied to.

I tried that old trick years ago as a lad with a fish i caught - hung it with fishing line off the cloathsline outside grandads, and stepped back and 'pretended' to be holding it up. The thing looked near as big as I was. :) Grandad was a little too sly for me to get away with saying i caught what appeard to be about 100 lb fish, but it still looked good :lol:

YukonJack
07-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Nah, I'd say one foot is right beside the rifle's butt, clearly on the snow. The snowline on the ground is even with the dog, his foot and rifle. Dog's feet are tied with rope which runs behind the post on the left, and the beast is hung with rope of course tied off to the wall. Dude is under this rope, no way is he anywhere's but directly behind that wolf. Interesting point I always judge photo's by is the relationship of the length of the rifle butt, to the animal, and to the person. About 13-14" from butt to trigger on most rifles. A lot of rifles are what, 38-46" long? Some guys are pretty small, or have some hugely insane rifle lengths in a lot of trophy photo's I see....

Foxer
07-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Could be, could be. My monitor may just be showing slightly different contrast, but i'm not entirely convinced yet. I still think he's a little further back from the wolf than he looks at first glance :) - but i could be dead wrong too.

I generally use the barrel if it's visible - you can usually tell if it's a 22 or 24 - and you're probably within two inches or so. If he is indeed standing close to the animal, thats a little over 4 ft and change, stern to snout (not including the tail). That's a good sized wolf :)

Rob
07-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Not sure why anyone would pose(hunched over) like that beside a large wolf, Ive yet to see one in the wild, but i was in the Yukon(Haines Junction- 1998)fighting forest fires & we were folloing tracks(wolf) which were embedded in the ash & they were the size of my hand, we never saw the wolves but they made their presence known by howling , I'm sure they were never more than 300yds in front of us, I doubt the wolf was 300lbs, but one of the local native elders who was working with our crew was impressed.