PDA

View Full Version : Does Mountain Goat Meat Taste Good?

o2fish2day
06-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Got a tag for a goat hunt, I just assumed you could eat goat meat, but I now see it's on the worst ever lists of many hunters.

Anyone tried it. I like to eat what I hunt (personal choice) but wondering if taking it to the butcher is just wasting money?

I would likely make sausage out of it. Anyone have any experience in this regard?

Thanks

o2

todbartell
06-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Ive only eaten it once but I was surprised in how good it was. I was expecting something much stronger tasting

fireguy
06-22-2011, 10:59 PM
My absolute favorite meat is goat, and I haven't ever made any of it into sausage

longrifle
06-22-2011, 11:01 PM
just don't shoot a billy in the rut, as it will taste just like every other critter that is the rut, strong...go in september and the meat will be great, second, imho only to an august sheep!!

'rifle

BiG Boar
06-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Age pending. I jerkied most of my goat but ate the tenderloins. Next time I would at least save the back straps for steak. 4 y/o Goat.

Jelvis
06-22-2011, 11:06 PM
If yah like hyeena then try goat, lol don't 4get they are related to Antelope family.
jpdocterateinbiochemistry. No thanks. lol.
Tuff and stringy tuff how tuff? I used two goat steaks to repair the soles of my hunting boots. Tasted like it was eating tin cans or something?

fireguy
06-22-2011, 11:07 PM
My oldest and biggest was 9 years old, 9 1/2 inch billie taken november 27 and he was the most tender and best meat ever, I've heard different but I've never taken a goat that wasn't great to eat.

06-22-2011, 11:14 PM
All the goats I've ever had were excellent.

BCbillies
06-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Funny you should ask . . . just had some tonight! :) Typically make sausage but also enjoy a good roast cooked in the slow cooker with a little spice thrown on. I recall two goats out of 28 that weren't so tasty and both were taken in November . . . all other Novemeber goats were fine.

hunter1947
06-23-2011, 02:46 AM
You have to know how to cook this meat in order for it to taste good and chew it..

Buck
06-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Goat is delicious my wife says it was the best game meat i,ve brought home.Drew a tag this year looking forward to those roasts.

gerrygoat
06-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Sometimes you can get one in the rut that is not good to eat but other than that they all tasted good. The meat can sometimes be tough so animals like that get slow cooked or ground up. The animal in my avatar was 12 years old, taken November 7 I think, and had great taste to it. We did grind most of him up but did save a roast or two for the slow cooker. It's always sad when my supply of goat meat is gone, hopefully more can be taken this fall. I would rate goat meat as very good to excellent for the table

hitch
06-23-2011, 06:42 AM
I've had the chance to chew on many goats through the last ten years. I'm find it near the bottem end of game meat. Had it cooked many different ways by a few different camp cooks and i find it generally tough. Tendies and backstraps are the only cuts that i have enjoyed and they must be cooked right or again really tough. Just my experiance.

Fosey
06-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I love wild meat and when I shoot a good goat nobody gets any. Hang it for at least 15 days and the meat is usually exquisite or tough. The taste is unreal. Marinate your steaks and cook them fast and medium rare.

SHAKER
06-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Had goat many times and not high on my list of things to chew on...... better then musk-ox but sure aint an Elk loin.

wildcatter
06-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Very good meat, I even made wiener schnitzel out of it.
Save all the meat you can if you get one.
Lucky bugger, I didn't get a tag:(

Kootenai
06-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Tasted lots of goat. People I know have shot a few then try to give away the meat. Bottom of the list. Strong, tough. Tried to give some to my dogs. They licked it, then sat there and barked at it.

Tuffcity
06-23-2011, 10:29 AM
we shot two last year, there might be 3 roasts left. :) We've pepperoni'ed some, made schnitzel, rotisieried roasts on the BBQ, and not a bad cut yet.

RC

d6dan
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
The last goat I shot was a big old boy and he was tough!. A friend of mine said, lets can the whole thing. So we did and made stew meat out of him..Not tough at all after that..I took that billy on the 28th of Oct. He's the one in my avatar..

Amphibious
06-23-2011, 10:35 AM
I had mine made into smokeys, they were awesome :)

barry1974w
06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
I've only ever shot one billy. Turned out to be seven years old. While I did find the meat to be quite tough, it was very flavorful. And the steaks were a lot less chewy if served rare. Keep the meat, try it for yourself, and you can decide where it rates on your game meat scale. It's towards the bottom of my scale, but it's still pretty good. Good luck on your hunt.

happyhunter
06-23-2011, 11:06 AM
I got a large billy last year in the early season. Cooked the back straps on the bbq and they were great, made spaghetti, lasagna, and nachos with the grind, and I used chunk meat for stews. Everything was just fine. One thing though when a recipe told me to boil the stew meat for 1 hour since I was using goat it would take at least 3 until it became tender. But the flavor was good.

markt308
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
I used two goat steaks to repair the soles of my hunting boots. Tasted like it was eating tin cans or something?

Lol! Your the man Jelvis

MattW
06-23-2011, 01:04 PM
All the mountain goat I've ever had has been delicious, it can be a little chewy though

BCbillies
06-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I used two goat steaks to repair the soles of my hunting boots.

Anything that can be used for more than one purpose is a keeper in my books! :)

sherpa-Al
06-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Great tasting meat, roasted, bbq'd, canned, ground, tube steak all good choices when it comes to cooking/preserving. I know of a local hunter who made some "corned goat brisket" a few years ago, he couldn't keep his kids out of it! Although I've had my fair share of old goat meat that gave the jaw a workout, most of it is quite tender depending on the cuts and how it was handled in the field. The best part is eating the last package so I can go get some more...just over a month away!!

Al.

swampthing
06-23-2011, 06:01 PM
I find the meat isnt bad, but it is bland. I use my goat meat to mix with moose and deer meat to make sausages. Never tried a roast, so I may have to.

BromBones
06-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I like goat, usually has a good flavour to it. Good tasting burger & roasts.

Only once have I had goat meat that wasn't exactly top notch - buddy cooked us up some steaks off an old billy he got. Basically cremated them on the BBQ which didn't help - each bite of steak would damn near triple in size while you chewed it before it finally broke down.

behemoth
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
anyone ever make a goat curry with it?

I'm gonna try to get one this year and thinking of getting a good dose of stewing meat outta it for curry

Ride Red
06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
I've eaten goat from a September hunt and it was very good. An old camp cook told me to mix seasoning salt in warm water and let your roasts sit for fifteen minutes. After that, straight to the roaster with your favorite veggies and you'll have a meal fit for a king.

nature girl
06-23-2011, 07:43 PM
My boyfriend shot a goat last year at the end of Oct. and the roasts from it were real good.

goatdancer
06-23-2011, 09:15 PM
A guy once told me that you put a rock in the pot with the goat meat. When the rock was done, the goat was half done. He was wrong. The goat I shot was excellent. Just wish I had made my buddy pack it out whole. Would have had more meat.

BCHunterTV
09-18-2011, 08:19 PM
it has to be my favorite meat!