PDA

View Full Version : Flambeau is at it again

fowlweather
06-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Some may already know but flambeau and their products are often cheap copies of the expensive original product. In past cases the flambeau "judge" decoy is an exact copy of the bigfoots. Same head styles even down to the feather scheme. Well now they are after it again copying exacly ghg and their new teal and woodies. http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/hunting/default.asp?p=Details&i=8015SDU
I dont really have a burnig problem with this but they don't even do a good job. The paint just rubs off and people get scammed because they don't even last a season

Sitkaspruce
06-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Just curious FW

Does colour really matter???

Some of my best decoys were old decoys all brown in colour with the paint gone and they still worked just as well as new ones.

I would think that by the time the ducks got close enough to see the colour, they were in the range to shoot.

Cheers

SS

lorneparker1
06-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Well here is my opinon.

Flambeau are mostly junk, but have there part as fillers, or starter dekes or repaints. However, they are never copies of more expensive decoys IMO. Flambeaus in my expereince price wise are inline with most dekes. Judges and bigfoots dont look anything alike IMO. Different style bases, differet poses and different look. They look more like a crappy dokatah to me.... Those green wings look a bit like ghg, but the head style especially on the looker is thier own. and it is terrible. Redhead is alot bigger copier of deke styles then flambeau.

longshot
06-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Flambutt decoys dont exactly look all the finest... but the paint definately sticks better than the GHG's... but the GHG's look CASH!!!

Right now I have a Flambutt sitting near my truck to act like a bird scarer so they stop crapping on my truck!! Thats pretty much all I use them for. I'm big on GHG deeks. Love em'!

fowlweather
06-24-2011, 12:09 AM
the bigfoots,
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_226689_imageset_01?$main-Medium$

the judge, look on the right
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h423/woodsman71/Decoys001.jpg

i dont know man they look pretty much the same. it doesnt matter though, sure they are filler but i like to rep the g and h decoys for my mallards, absolute brutes, and they work great too! they dont have time to land at stare at them

huntwriter
06-24-2011, 06:07 AM
I use Flambeau duck, geese, turkey and deer decoys for many years and find that they work just fine for me.

Ian F.
06-25-2011, 07:13 AM
The new goose decoys moulds were carved by an acquaintance of mine, World Champion Rich Smoker

field marshal
06-25-2011, 08:22 AM
We use a real variety of blocks in our spreads, Flambeau's included! If you really believe 1 brand is that much superior to another then I guess it proves the old adage that convincing ADVERTISING really does work???? Cheers--Field Marshal.

Foxton Gundogs
06-25-2011, 11:11 AM
We use a real variety of blocks in our spreads, Flambeau's included! If you really believe 1 brand is that much superior to another then I guess it proves the old adage that convincing ADVERTISING really does work???? Cheers--Field Marshal.

VERY well said.

Mr. Dean
06-25-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm a firm believer that mfg's produce new varieties just to hook consumers.... One will see a *new* product taking off in sales and cutting into their margins, then get on board in attempts of claiming it back - All the while, there wasn't anything *broke* with what was old or replaced in the line. I also haven't seen a company (of any type) not mimicking something produced by someone else. Be it condoms, cars, dental floss, fishing lures or decoys....

Barracuda
06-25-2011, 01:47 PM
:-Dthe very best fishing lures catch the most fishermen:mrgreen:

huntwriter
06-25-2011, 08:59 PM
:-Dthe very best fishing lures catch the most fishermen:mrgreen:

True that. On a trade show some years ago I asked a fish lure manufacturer "Do the fish like your lures?" He replied (his exact words) "I can't tell you we never tried to sell them to the fish." Years before that I talked to a few camouflage companies for an article on camouflaging effectiveness. I asked one of the top camouflage brand owners. " Have you tested your camouflage pattern on the deer?" he answered, "No, but the hunters love our camouflage and that is what matters to us."

You can buy turkey decoys that look as real as real live turkeys, some even use real turkey feathers, but I never heard of any hunter killing more turkeys with these 400 dollar decoys then other hunters using cheap 30 dollar decoys.

longshot
06-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Well I have to admit... I am a teen and I like the shnazzy stuff only becuase it looks cool. I really doubt that all these brands of deeks actually work better than one another, as long as it looks like a duck and is put in the right spot, it should get the job done... if the ducks could see the feather detail that close on the deeks I am either sleeping in the blind or watering the plants and stuck with no gun.

It just happens to be that the GHG stuff appeals to my young eyes (nail me to the cross for it... I'm 17!)... I dont think the ducks really give 2 sh**s on what is stamped under the bottom of the plastic.

lorneparker1
06-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Here comes another opinion.!

In my experience island birds are morons. They are hardly hunted, and most(not all) of the people that do hunt them arent serious waterfowlers and arent very good.

I grew up 30 mins from jack miners. This is the land of world class callers, pit blinds and probably more waterfowlers per capita then any where else in canada. The limit is 2 geese per person. they fly from lake Erie to the protected fields at jack miners and that is about it. its roughly 5miles. the only way to hunt them is to run traffic in between the roost and the field. and there are 50 other groups spread out over that 5 miles, with championship callers, decoy spreads of 500, etc.

Hunting these birds and any other birds who are under alot of pressure, it very much matters to have high quality dekes, good calling and a real good hide. Out here not so much. So i guess in closing it all depends how sharp and educated the birds are.

Lorne

Crazy_Farmer
06-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I think I'm gonna throw out a complete rig of tires some day this year for honkers. Wouldn't dream of it for lessers but those big dumbies won't know any different

field marshal
06-26-2011, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=lorneparker1;939187]Here comes another opinion.!

In my experience island birds are morons. They are hardly hunted, and most(not all) of the people that do hunt them arent serious waterfowlers and arent very good.

I grew up 30 mins from jack miners. This is the land of world class callers, pit blinds and probably more waterfowlers per capita then any where else in canada. The limit is 2 geese per person. they fly from lake Erie to the protected fields at jack miners and that is about it. its roughly 5miles. the only way to hunt them is to run traffic in between the roost and the field. and there are 50 other groups spread out over that 5 miles, with championship callers, decoy spreads of 500, etc.

Hunting these birds and any other birds who are under alot of pressure, it very much matters to have high quality dekes, good calling and a real good hide. Out here not so much. So i guess in closing it all depends how sharp and educated the birds are.

Lorne[/QUOTE Yeah, we saw how you and Brit blasted the shit out of our moronic ducks??????

field marshal
06-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Not to mention your GHG lessers just sucked those big Honkers right in????---Not!!!!
Cheers-----Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
06-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Not to mention your GHG lessers just sucked those big Honkers right in????---Not!!!!
Cheers-----Field Marshal.

not sure it may have had something to do with that kazoo you were blowing you call a goose call!

and to answer you above post....

the fact the ducks would even come in to spread with your 2 ugly asses in a hedgerow, shows just how stupid they are!

We had a hunt this year where we killed close to 30 ducks (brit,myself and another friend.) and he was laying on the ground on a foamie completely exposed. Yes, the birds are dumb. No different then opening day birds back home, or birds all year in prairies. If you are in the right area at the right time it doesnt matter. Back east after the first 2 weeks birds wont go anywhere near a roboduck. as the wise up to them after seeing hundreds a day. Having a small life like decoy spread is the only thing that works. Birds were being ******ed landing on the robo's 3 months into the season last year. They are dumb, plain and simple

My point was that when it really matters, and there is alot of competition for the same birds having higher quality dekes matter!

And where we live, at this point, it doesnt really matter. I mean most guys sit in hedgerows..... and they kill lots. why? cause the birds are STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDD D

field marshal
06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
What university do the ducks go to back east????
The ducks here are smart enough to live in an area where they don't have
to migrate any further south??? Then again it took you 30 or so years to figure out where to live???:mrgreen: Don't forget I've been listening to Ontario bullshit
for a long time!! Cheers----Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
06-26-2011, 05:51 PM
What university do the ducks go to back east????
The ducks here are smart enough to live in an area where they don't have
to migrate any further south??? Then again it took you 30 or so years to figure out where to live???:mrgreen: Don't forget I've been listening to Ontario bullshit
for a long time!! Cheers----Field Marshal.

Well i could go on forever, but its about time you got taken down a notch! You have some AMAZING areas you have pretty much sole permission on. You are also a really good shot behind a shotgun from what ive seen there fore you put lots of brids to thier eternal dirt nap. However, the birds you hunt (and we hunt up here) are dumb ass shit and you can get away with hunting in a hedgerow, moving around, having decoys on thier side etc. Because there is little to no pressure where you hunt, you dont have idiots blowing up fields, shooting roosts, you dont have 3 decoy spreads in every field for 30 miles. SOME of the birds we shoot back east, are hunted hard every single day of the season. they have seen it all. Ive scouted lots of feilds and watched honkers flare off live birds and do 30 circles because they are so nervous. They fly 100 yards in the air all day long until they land in thier roost (90% of the time which is a park or an area that cant be hunted). when they come up to a hedgerow the fly up another 100 yards. Why? because they know better. Until you've hunted educated birds you wouldn't know and if you applied how you hunt ducks or geese out here in an area like that you wouldnt be often you'd be posting up pics of anything dead.

Lorne

field marshal
06-26-2011, 06:21 PM
My, My we are getting ourselves wound up now aren't we??:mrgreen:
If you actually took into consideration how little wetlands there are to hunt in this valley you would see the birds get harrassed pretty good in a small area!!
Waterfowl used to feeding on grain or cereal crops are going to keep coming back as long as food is available! Whether it takes 3 circles of the spread or 30 circles, they are coming in!! If Ontario ducks are so smart, why aren't they nocturnal???? Ask the boys on the Mainland how many of their ducks don't start coming in until after dark. I probably wouldn't make it as a duck shooter in Ontario!!:( I would lose my concentration after the 10th circle.:-D Too old now ,I'd forget where I was and what I was doing??:mrgreen: Going to be lots of fun riding you guys this season!! Cheers---Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
06-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Just admit you are spoiled!

Love Lorne,

Marc
06-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Man this is going to be a long 2 1/2 months before the early season opens back up. Stupid or smart they all taste the same and that's all that matters. Plus we all know that the Dakota's is the shit on the Island for goose mortality time after time.:mrgreen:

Ian F.
06-26-2011, 09:38 PM
We had a hunt this year where we killed close to 30 ducks (brit,myself and another friend.)

Let see 3 hunters, 8 ducks per hunter = 24, that is technically "close" to 30, but do I sense a little exaggeration? or maybe.........

heyblast
06-26-2011, 09:40 PM
I bought some Pintail and Gadwall Greenhead Decoys because they look realistic. They don't work any better then the old dekes that I've painted flat black or brown or black and white or the decoys that I've shot over for 35 +years that have almost no paint left. And the only difference between the ducks in Ontario and here, is BC ducks are better eating.

lorneparker1
06-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Let see 3 hunters, 8 ducks per hunter = 24, that is technically "close" to 30, but do I sense a little exaggeration? or maybe.........

http://www.mudholeduckclub.com/images/JeffFoiles.jpg

lorneparker1
06-26-2011, 09:57 PM
I bought some Pintail and Gadwall Greenhead Decoys because they look realistic. They don't work any better then the old dekes that I've painted flat black or brown or black and white or the decoys that I've shot over for 35 +years that have almost no paint left. And the only difference between the ducks in Ontario and here, is BC ducks are better eating.

Its not a province thing. Just incase you arent getting that part.

And let me make it clear that there are TONS of places in Ontario that the ducks and honkers are stupid. Drive 3 hours from where i grew up and no one hunts, 9/10 farmers you ask to hunt let you on there property and its easy limits and a helluva good time. And thats where we spent most of our time hunting. Very similar to here minus the super easy to get permission part. However were i grew up, we have close to 10 g/o, 6 huge duck clubs owned by americans (google bradleys marsh) that own 10's of thousands of acres of prime waterfowl habitat and have feeding permits. Almost all land is leased for $500-$20,000 a farm to hunt for the year, and anywhere public is so grossly populated with hunters its out of control. Some of the best callers in the world also live there ( craig mcdonal, rusty heron to name 2) Have you ever hunted with 5 decoy spreads in visual distance of you? all with high quality dekes, good callers, vortex's, robos? You and your black and whites would get schooled. The Jackminer birds fly from the Lake to a 100 acre fed pond and field. they dont stop anywhere else with out a TON of coaxing. and they would shit on your shitty dekes. If birds arent harder to kill in other areas why do so many people from the US go to the prairies? What would i a boy from texas want to go to alberta for? they are in the same flyway. Why because the ducks are alot smarter by the time they run the guantlet from alberta to texas.

To stay on topic we were talking if decoys really matter. and they do, if you want to give your self the best advantage and have the ducks kicking you in the face.

Lorne

Marc
06-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Man he must have hunted hard to collect all those bands.

Crazy_Farmer
06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
A loaf of wonder bread can work like magic.

longshot
06-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Man this is going to be a long 2 1/2 months before the early season opens back up. Stupid or smart they all taste the same and that's all that matters. Plus we all know that the Dakota's is the shit on the Island for goose mortality time after time.:mrgreen:

As long as you have a field you can drive into!! Arent those Dakota's heavy?? I must say though, they look daaaamn cool. :wink:

field marshal
06-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Was wondering when somebody was going to chime in on that one?????---Cheers Field Marshal. P.S. What was the shell count on that shoot?????

longshot
06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
P.S. What was the shell count on that shoot?????

24.... boxes! :wink: Just teasing Lorne.

Ian F.
06-27-2011, 09:42 AM
As long as you have a field you can drive into!! Arent those Dakota's heavy?? I must say though, they look daaaamn cool. :wink:

Nah Marc has that probelm solved, well at least when he remembers all the parts....

Ian F.
06-27-2011, 09:43 AM
http://www.mudholeduckclub.com/images/JeffFoiles.jpg

The beenie cap clashes with your face paint, how gouche!

Crazy_Farmer
06-27-2011, 02:00 PM
He has a DVD called "1 over the limit". And a new goose call named "crime scene" probably didn't help

field marshal
06-27-2011, 03:21 PM
He has a DVD called "1 over the limit". And a new goose call named "crime scene" probably didn't help
Who has " Felony Foiles" or our own " 6 over the limit LORNE "???????? Cheers---Field Marshal.

heyblast
06-27-2011, 04:41 PM
It's called Luther Marsh, a public marsh that attracts all kinds of so called hunters. Lots of BS goes on, but I still would shoot my limit with old decoys and calling vocally, no duck call. And those ducks got pounded for the entire season. Not saying you didn't hunt highly educated birds, what you describe would make most places easy in comparison. As for bands you can buy all you want on ebay.

lorneparker1
06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Who has " Felony Foiles" or our own " 6 over the limit LORNE "???????? Cheers---Field Marshal.

i

I cant hit enough to shoot over my limit remember?

dont you got some 42inch shells to touch the paint up on! :P

Lorne

Crazy_Farmer
06-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Must need to buy paint by the 20 gal bucket to get a deal on it??? Flat or glossy?

field marshal
06-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Must need to buy paint by the 20 gal bucket to get a deal on it??? Flat or glossy?

Nope, original finish holding up nicely!!! They only go where I can drive in to the stool!!!----Field Marshal.

Crazy_Farmer
06-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Okay okay, alot of bottled up emotions coming to a brew in this offseason, what is this Oprah?

Heres some ugly ducks that just may look normal in a couple months before we can all shoot them.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/eclipse.jpg

lorneparker1
06-27-2011, 10:56 PM
for the record. I still love everyone!

field marshal
06-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Only 67 days to GO!!!!!!!! Cheers----Field Marshal.