PDA

View Full Version : Newby Crossbow Question

Radar
08-16-2006, 09:00 PM
OK guys be gentle with me, I am new to hunting with my crossbow, I've been at the range a lot in the last year practising ready for this season and now I am ready to go, but.....I know it is not good to dry fire your bow, so how do you un-cock your bow at the end of the day or if you want to get in your truck or use your ATV without dry firing?
:confused:
One solution I had was to carry an old bolt and fire it into my block target. I'm firing th Excallibur Exomax bow. I'd like to know what you do...thanks for your help.

brotherjack
08-16-2006, 09:42 PM
A spare bolt to pop into the dirt works. An Exomax might be a bit heavy of a bow to use my trick I use on my little Horton SteelForce: grab string with both hands, pull hard just as if cocking, trip trigger with thumb - let string down easy.

jessbennett
08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
boy i wish i could keep my bow cocked all day long....:razz:

sealevel
08-17-2006, 04:22 AM
l am sure i could nail that ultra elete on a board and put some sort of trigger on it for you jess . there`s lots of holes in the rizer for a spike.

Radar
08-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks Brother Jack, sounds like a plan.

jessbennett
08-17-2006, 06:40 AM
yeah an inferno colored crossbow....... hmmm.......:lol: no thanks...... mind you it would be the purtiest crossbow around huh? have you seen that new compound bow that you can draw bak and it locks at full draw???? so you can hike around with a compound bow at full draw with an arrow in it..:eek: :roll: .... kinda takes the whole point of having a compound bow and kickin it square in the jimmy hat it you ask me...... if you are going to do that just get a crossbow huh???? and before anyone gets their back up im not dissing a crossbow in any way...well maybe a lil....... just kidden:lol:

rocksteady
08-17-2006, 06:56 AM
I have an old feed bag (oats, I think) that I have stuffed tight with grocery bags...I have an old field point crap arrow, that I use to fire it off into the bag at the end of the hunt...It just kicks around the back of my truck...

Never dry fire it, that will potentially mess up the limbs....

My Father in Law tried the old shoot into the dirt routine, hit a rock and the arrow exploded, it was after dark by the time we got back to the truck, and my what a nice light show, sparks everywhere and destroyed the arrow and field point.....

I got a shine on the Horton, its only 2 weeks til anything goes elk season here in the E.K.

Shop Lord
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
I've got an exomag and I unload it just like brotherjack says. No problem. Make sure that you are holding all the weight of the string.

Rainwater
08-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Hey Rocksteady, Don't forget it's not all of the EK for any Elk anymore, we only got l year of that excellant bow season.

rocksteady
08-17-2006, 09:58 AM
I was just trying to put salt in some wounds of those not so lucky, as well as not disclose my extra double top secret location.....

Radar
08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate all the info.