PDA

View Full Version : help with core test

pemberton
08-16-2006, 08:05 AM
I am about to challenge the core test and I was looking for some help from anyone who has just finnished. any questions stand out in your mind that where difficult.

Blacktail
08-16-2006, 09:02 AM
IN my CORE course I find most people have problems with
Animal and Bird ID and Laws and Regulations sections

hoochie
08-17-2006, 12:43 AM
not to sound like I am being difficult, but I think if you are asking for hints on what is hard on the test, then you are not ready to challange it. If you are seeking answers to give you a "heads up" or an advantage.. thats unethical.. cheating.
The reason a challange is in place is so that people who are very familiar with something do not have to go through a redundant course that will teach them nothing above what they already know.

If you have the CORE book, and are willing to challange it this is what you need to do:
1) read it thoroughly
2) open the book to any page and be able to explain in detail any topic that is being discussed on that page
3) have someone else open the book to random pages and quiz you on what ever they come across.

An example of a good challange:
My father had been a firearms owner for amny many years prior to the "Firearms saftey Course" requirement. It would be of no benefit for him to have taken the course. He knows this stuff, as he has been around firearms for many years and is very familiar with them. To take a course that teaches you how to identify the type of firearm, the correct ammunition and how to unload a gun was of no value to him, just a matter of social policy that he was bound by. Thus the challange.

read more. When you are confident, then challange.

Blacktail
08-17-2006, 06:21 AM
Hootchie

well said

Marc
08-20-2006, 12:46 AM
The number one cause of firearm fatalities is suicide. He even mentioned it before I challenged the exam and do you think I would have picked up on it? Oh well still passed with flying colors. Read over the book and you should be fine. Go over proper gun handling with someone who’s done the course, as it may not be familiar with what you’re used to. Being in the military for 16 years we do things a little different not saying it’s wrong but it’s not the exact same as what they want.

Marc.

huntwriter
08-20-2006, 06:52 AM
The CORE test is not difficult to do. As has been said before, read the book from the beginning to the end and then read it a few times more. Make notes of the subjects you have a problem with and read then again and again.

Most of the content is common sense.Learning with someone else, friend or family member, makes it easir too. Above all keep your cool. Most people who fail the course do so because of a case of nerves.

Marc is right with the test question about the most firearm fatalities are suposed to be suicide. But it's not true the statistic has been very heavely swayed to make a gun safety statement. Yet you have to give the wrong answer to get it right. The number one cause of suicide is overdosing on legal and illegal drugs followed by using a car to commit suicide. Still puzzels me what point they try to make by naming the guns as the number one cause. People who are that desperate will kill themself with or without gun.

Marc
08-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Huntwriter, the number one cause of firearm fatalities is suicide meaning it's not homicides or accidentally shooting yourself. From all the deaths cause by firearms, suicide is the highest.

huntwriter
08-21-2006, 03:05 PM
Huntwriter, the number one cause of firearm fatalities is suicide meaning it's not homicides or accidentally shooting yourself. From all the deaths cause by firearms, suicide is the highest.

Ah, I see. That is how it is meant! But I am still puzzled why that seems to be so important. The way it sounded from our instructor "...make sure you get this question right. It is suicide, I repeat. SUICIDE!..." I got the impression that this is really important to the government that we say it is suicide.

In my humble opinion. Who really cares with what desperate people kill themself. Unless it is some government or special interest group scheme of; protecting people from themselves. Or perhaps the notion that if there where less guns then there would be less suicides.

Whatever the reason may be, thanks for clearing that up for me.

pemberton
08-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks alot hoochie. That was great advice. I never thought about reading the book. I just assumed I would get all the answers off this forum.

P.S. I sure liked your story about your dad. he sounds real smmartt.

Wildman
08-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Bird ID's were the toughest, for me anyway.

30-06
08-29-2006, 08:50 AM
im with Vadim bird ID was difficult,, the only sorta difficult part on the practical was the crossing the fence safley part of it.read the animal Id and Bird ID over and over..and us white out and do the questions at the end of every chapter again and again after you read it.or read 2 chapters then do the questions for both the chapters. Good Luck

hoochie
08-29-2006, 08:29 PM
ahh something else just came to mind as well:
be sure that you know how to read the synopsis.. i remember a question in there about "what is your bag limit in this region".... and I think the correct answer was either zero or limited entry only.. something about that threw some people off.
good luck.

GoatGuy
08-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Go over proper gun handling with someone who’s done the course, as it may not be familiar with what you’re used to.

Marc.

This is the most important stuff. Make sure you know how to handle a gun safely - this will not only help you with your test but also when you head afield.

metalface
06-07-2015, 01:00 PM
There is no practical portion of the test, unless something's changed since October. Study the manual, understand how to read the regs and it's about as straightforward as any test you'll ever write.

BobbyVanCity
06-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks Metalface,

I actually found a website that addressed my questions. (Hence the deleted post)
They say there is a practical portion, but that you're exempt if you have completed your CFSC. So as you said, I won't have to worry about that.

Edge
07-18-2015, 06:59 AM

+1...there IS a difference...my $.02

brian
07-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Toughest bit for me was Bird ID, everything else was a breeze.

TPK
07-20-2015, 12:38 PM
.....In my humble opinion. Who really cares with what desperate people kill themself. Unless it is some government or special interest group scheme of; protecting people from themselves. Or perhaps the notion that if there where less guns then there would be less suicides.Whatever the reason may be, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Just to point out that the course is increasing gun safety by decreasing ACCIDENTAL deaths caused by firearms. It is a fact that is also used to leverage the thinking of keeping firearms and ammunition stored separately. To kill your self now you have to go to two locations in the house and put the gun and ammo together. Common psychology seems to imply that suicidal thoughts/tendencies are not long lasting (like a craving for a cigarette when you're trying to quit ..) and if you can buy a little time the craving will pass .. or in this case, that the suicidal motivation will wane ...

adriaticum
07-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Post from 2006?

BiG Boar
07-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Apparently the test didn't work. Even in 2010 he didn't know what a buck was.

Hi,

Its been a while, the regs used to indicate the amount of tines for antlers. So am I right in assuming unless otherwise stated, "Bucks" is any spiker?

TPK
07-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Too funny ... never noticed the date on the OP, just started to chime in with the rest ...