PDA

View Full Version : recipe for cooking bear ham

elkster
08-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey guys I've got a couple of bear hams. Any special recipes you'd like to share? I'm taking one into work tomorrow night shift to feed the guys. give me some ideas please.

Thanks

Art:lol:

elkster
08-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Well i cooked one up just like a normal ham. Actually I took it into work cause the wife didn't want me cooking it at home. The guy doing the cooking was a little worried about eating bear, and he over cooked it a bit. Still tasted pretty good.

3kills
08-17-2006, 09:21 PM
i was going to say just cook it like a normal ham....i love bear hams hmmmm mmm mm

~T-BONE~
08-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Are these just the hind legs uncured? Or are they?

Ian F.
08-18-2006, 02:45 PM
I had the two hind quarters of a bear "hammed" and the smaller cuts I woudl slice about 1/2" thick and lightly bbq and then coat with honey mustard, never served them to anyone that didn't like it! most where told at dessert that it was bear BTW,

We cook whole pork hams by roasting wtih ginger ale or dr. pepper and then draiing and finishing (last 1/2 hr) with a coating of mustard and brown sugar..

Very best,

Ian

~T-BONE~
08-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Sometimes people get hams and legs confused. As a butcher I would call a smoked pickled leg a Ham. One that wasn't would be called a leg . Ask your butcher they could get this done for you or get the pickling juice (brine) a sirringe and inject it . Do this evenly throughout the leg. With the excess brine submerge the leg for at least 1 week. Then do it up in your lil chief/bradely then finish it off in the oven should turn out great. BTW make sure you take all the fat off it generally dosen't taste too good!

Ian F.
08-20-2006, 05:56 PM
T-bone,

In my case it was "hammed", part being the true ham cut and the other parts I guess "country ham" cuts. I found it too easy and only like $25 to take it to a processor and ham them do it all and just pay the bill. But recently did some Buckboard bacon by Hi Mountain and found it easy and geared more to the guy at home, not sure if they have a ham kit or not.

Very best,

Ian

~T-BONE~
08-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Buckboard ehh never heard of it till now. Looked it up, price is right could probably use it for ham, but it might be hard for it to cure straight through! You will get grey spots in the meat where the cure didn't touch. Can you use that product as a brine as well?

Ian F.
08-21-2006, 07:57 AM
I'd have to dig it out and see, or you could call them, they are quite helpful over the phone. I did it on a pork shoulder but to about 3" thick, but the instructions are for thicker if I remember right.

Ian

elkster
08-22-2006, 01:49 PM
T - Bone
Mine were true hams, actually one ham I had cut in two. Had petes mountain meaats in port alberni do them for me. Very good:-D

Ian F.
08-26-2006, 08:17 AM
T-Bone,

Found the box yesterday, no mention of brine on the instructions but you could give em a call and see..

Very best,

Ian