PDA

View Full Version : Pinks are here

BlacktailStalker
08-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Hammered the mouth of the Oyster this am. Already a half dozen guys when we got there at 6. We rowed the drift boat so we could stay mobile and hooked 18-20 and got 8 of the 10 solid hook ups to the boat. ONly a couple caught from shore (The guys who catch the fish, catch all the fish ;))
It never ceases to amaze me how a guy in a boat is an outcast. Insead of being all friendly as a guy would be to one on shore, like 'hey whattya got on there!?" they have the whole glare/attitude. One guy wouldnt even have enough etiquette to stop casting as we played a couple of our fish. and then as we were leaving he says "If you didnt notice, I was trying to avoid your boat." My buddy asked why and he said because it scares the fish away. Well LOL considering there was 15 guys all the same distance from the school including us, and we were outfishing him 20:1, apparently not. First of all, he came about an hour after us, we NEVER Move in below another fisherman, pull our lines clear when a fish is being played, and keep our distance about 10' further away since we have a raised platform to fish from. We are also anchored to avoid drifting and casting a shadow that would spook fish. We all buy the same license and I know it can be a hot topic as with bank fishers vs drift fishes in the rivers but hey, if the etiquette is there from the guys in the boat, as it is with me, give it in return and dont be a hater. The reality of it is that it isnt who or where you fish from its all the know how and fortunately we seem to hammer everywhere we go hahaha. All it is is the type of retrieve and the presentation of the fly, and a special fly at that. Its too bad because just before the guy sparked up I was going to offer him one of the epoxy flies I made up as we were leaving and he was using a pattern completely unsuited for pinks. I know how frustrating it can be to watch guys catch fish and not be one of them, but everybody has their day.

we3grants
08-15-2006, 12:30 PM
I was glad to hear you had success on the Oyster. Funny your experiance. I started fly fishing last year and found the people down there very receptive and friendly. You will always find those who think they "own the beach". To avaiod troubles beeing new to fly fishing I would always stay away from the pack and let the fish come to me. Got lots of practice in my casting technique and no hastle from others. Even encountered a fellow doing the same type of fishing as you mentioned. I hope you have better encounters next time and if you see a fellow fishing away from the pack, practicing his casting, It will probably be me. Coffee is always ready.

Rod
08-15-2006, 04:53 PM
I am interested in the fly pattern you mentioned, any pics?

I would also appreciate more info on where exactly you were fishing, My GF has been fly fishing for years and is teaching me. I have taken a few fish in the Puntlege but never in salt water or on a fly rod.

Would the area you were in be suitable for fishing with a tube?

Thanks for any info.

Rod

BlacktailStalker
08-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Rod;

The area is ideal for a tube! I was fishing right at the mouth of the estuary, following the tide out when the fish are schooled together tightly.
Picture of the flies that worked that day. Dont be afraid to experiment with purples and even green.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2982&cat=500