PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Nootka Trip!!

BlacktailStalker
08-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Left friday morning at 3. Fishing by 530 at Maquinnas point, fish on 90 seconds later, in the boat and a shiny 22lbs spring is in the fish well. Great way to start ! Fished a while longert there but noticed ALL the boats were just going right by us and after no hits, we decided to do a little scouting to see what the steady stream of boas was about. We ended up fishing on the outside of Nootka there and with no luck, and also only saw a few other boats catch fish (of the 30 there) so we decided to head off shore. Destined for 12 mile, it was steadily getting rougher so at about 9/10 mile we decided its onyl going to get worse and considering we were in a 21' and were getting thrown around, we went back. Thankfully it was the right choice as it blew up to about 25. Back where we hit our spring, we were rewarded right away with another fish, this time it was me smiling to the singing rod. Then it was me saying oh Sh*t we have to chase this thing!! 15 minutes later put the first tyee in the boat, about 32lbs. What a hammer! Exactly 45 mins later after 2 or 3 throwbacks ( now this trip, throwbacks were 15lbs and under!) I was into another screamer, peeling off line faster than the last but with some really impressive head shakes. What seemed like forever had him holding his own about 40 yards out, and then the swell came, and was the water oh so clear and we saw the monster! Just confidently holding there with his massive fanned tail and dorsal out of the water. He was in charge and didnt like the shadow from the boat and freight trained back to sea taking another 100+ yards of line with him. His second time at the boat sent him into another 50 yard run. We got him into the net and heaved him on board. 37lbs. Nice! Man were we stoked, 2 tyees and non stop action and it was only 2 in the afternoon. Next my buddy was checking his riggin and wham! Wham! A solid take and the line literally ripped through the water almost throwing a rooster tail behind it! 10 minutes later the culprit turned out to be a 15lb coho with a massive girth, not a spring! Bonk, into the fish well he went. My buddy hit the next fish too and it took him for 3 huge runs, we had to chase him over 200 yards as he was into his backing. We only had one glimpse of him about 10 yards from the boat and he was a hog, who lived another day. He threw the hook! Bummer! Lines back out and we were tacking exactly as we were when I hit the biggest one and we hit another, this time my buddy got him in and he went 27/28 lbs. The smile was back on his face and the bite was on. EVERYBODY was hitting fish. There was a definite wave of fresh fish coming through and it was an unbeliveable day. One more awesme happening was at last light, my buddy was checking his riggin and the downrigger hopped and slammed down, then there was a splash and I saw a white flash fall off the swim grid and bump the motor, then his anchovy got whacked once, twice then fish on!! The spring hammered his downrigger clip twice and then nailed his anchovy not 15 feet back of us on the surface. HAlf way through the first run as I finished bringing his drigger up, my rod started screaming. Double header!!! Both made it to the boat, his a 25 and mine another tyee LoL, just over 30lbs. This was by far my best day on the water as long as I can remember, all in all we hit 16 springs in two days, needless to say we had our limits. One coho, one 30lb hali (did poorly on the halis) a couple lings and about 6 red snapper.
We also hit cougar creek up for kicks on the last day and saw a few fish landed but nowhere nearly as many as what we were into the previous day.
Get out there!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2964&limit=recent

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/?action=view&current=101_1195.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch2

Fred
08-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Way to go BtS, great write up too! 8-) Fred

Darren
08-07-2006, 12:39 PM
right on, I just got back from Nootka yesterday, we did pretty good offshore as well.

Hambone
08-07-2006, 03:47 PM
wow! what a trip! Im heading to Nootka on the 13th and thats just the news i wanted to hear. However, they are openining up part of the sound for the commercial fishery i hear. Nice pictures and story.