PDA

View Full Version : True North Smoker

dirtyharry
08-03-2006, 05:33 PM
The wife bought me one of these for christmas and I haven't got around to using it yet. Basically the same as a little cheif I think. Anyone with experience or advice?

Rob

Elkhound
08-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Have had one for years. Love it. My wife threw out the recipe book it came with by accident. Too bad cause it had the best smoked salmon recipe ever. I can't remember the name of it off hand though. Would you mind listing off some and I will tell you which one it is. Maybe you can copy it and send it to me. I would be grateful

Thanks.

dirtyharry
08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
let me dig it up

dirtyharry
08-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Would it be
"SUPER SMOKED SALMON"
??

Rob

Elkhound
08-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Thats the one.......Incredible results. Make the brine, let it sit over night, then add it to the fish, let it sit over night again....then smoke. Time consuming but really worth it....I need a yummmmmmy icon

Elkhound
08-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I tried friend's recipes, ones I found on the net, some in books but for me, none of them came close to the one that came with the smoker. It's funny cause I tried the others first, I thought the ones in the book wouldn't be as good. Thought it might be something they just slapped together......boy was I wrong.

dirtyharry
08-03-2006, 06:03 PM
do they work good? are they easy to use? The only thing that put me off is they are not insulated and it is so windy here. Once we move I will have to try it out some. What is the easiest thing to smoke?

Elkhound
08-03-2006, 06:10 PM
They work well, but I did find that if it's really cold it takes longer of course. One time in a cold snap it took me 3 days to smoke a batch of salmon.....lol. But it was worth it. I have only done fish in mine.......just follow the directions and it will turn out well.......keep checking the fish though. Some people like it moist some drier.....so keep checking it and see what you like best. any questions shoot me a PM....and thanks for the pm from you.

Elkhound
08-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Oh....... remember not to use soap or cleaners inside it.......thats bad. Explains it in your manual as well

Blacktail
08-03-2006, 06:13 PM
dirty

when you get out here
I can teach you to smoke salmon

dirtyharry
08-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Great! When I was growing up in Steveston, our neighbors had a big smoking tower. It was made of wood and was a few stories tall. They used to smoke a few hundred pounds at a time I'd guess. Comercial fishermen right, they stopped doing it before I got old enough to learn how.
Man I miss having all that smoked salmon though!

Jager
08-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm no expert but when it's cold or windy I put the box it came in over top of the smoker or I may even wrap an old blanket around it to help insulate it. 3 days of smoking would drive me nuts!!!!! I even use one of those light timers (the ones you use if you go on vacation) if it's getting close to bed time and I figure it just needs a couple of more hours...saves getting up in the middle of the night.

Fido
08-04-2006, 10:11 PM
I too use a box and a old blanket in cold weather and it works just fine. You will have many a good meal from this smoker good luck.:D