PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Sockeye

NEEHAMA
08-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Look's like they are allowing a recreational opening in the non-tidal fraser for sock's thurs aug 3. yee ha:D !!

lip_ripper00
08-02-2006, 04:04 PM
I already have my tent set up on the bar:wink:

FlyingHigh
08-02-2006, 04:34 PM
ahhh crap, there goes my fishing season till the run's over. bloody gong show. i'm gonna stay off the Fraser till the sock fishery is over. i don't eat fish so i'm in it for the sport and the fishing part. i don't like sockeye. small fish, don't fight (i've seriously had 7 inch rainbows fight harder), and the bottom bouncing doesn't feel very sporting. guess i'll head to the vedder and play with some 15-30 lb springs. way more fun and none of the cobat fishing. have fun out there guys, wish you best of luck.

PGKris
08-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Bunch of flossers plying their pathetic trade? I think so. Degrades fishing as a sport.

FlyingHigh
08-02-2006, 05:31 PM
couldn't agree more PG, however some may call me a hypicrite, since i "floss" springs on the fraser. but i use a 5-6ft. leader or less, not the 10-15 footer thaht 90% of other bottom bouncers on the fraser use.

mark
08-02-2006, 06:16 PM
so, is that for sure, its open tomorrow, is it open at hope (scale bar)? how long will it stay open?

lip_ripper00
08-02-2006, 06:59 PM
no scale bar is not open, and yes it is a snag fest I don't care. If I was allowed to use a gillnet to catch my 10 sockeye I would do it and be done. Unlike springs socks will not bite when they get that far up.But this is how DFO lets us harvest our seasonal sockeye. "The people that came before" have been out gillnetting everything for the last 4 months. As far as crouds go, their is lots of bars. Have fun enjoy the sun and try to have tolerance for the people that take it waaaaaaayyy too seriously:biggrin:

mark
08-02-2006, 07:29 PM
hey ripper, if scale bar is not open, when will it be? where exactly is it open?

mark
08-02-2006, 08:00 PM
hey ripper, i just checked the dfo site and it says from mission bridge-to alexandra bridge, if im not mistaken thats above hope. Soooo i would think that the scale bar area should be open?? Can anyone clarify this for me please??

lip_ripper00
08-02-2006, 08:04 PM
hey ripper, i just checked the dfo site and it says from mission bridge-to alexandra bridge, if im not mistaken thats above hope. Soooo i would think that the scale bar area should be open?? Can anyone clarify this for me please?? check your hotmail post if you can I don't know how scale bar = Landstrom

Bushman
08-02-2006, 08:44 PM
The Harrison River is also open on Aug. 03 for sockeye below the Hwy. 7 Bridge.
Check it out here:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/default_e.htm

FlyingHigh
08-02-2006, 10:06 PM
scale bar should be open. the fraser's open up to alexandra bridge which way above scale bar.

mark
08-02-2006, 10:07 PM
thank you, thats what i thought, i think ripper was tuggin my line a bit!

FlyingHigh
08-03-2006, 12:28 AM
no problem. probably didn't wanna share his hole ;)

lip_ripper00
08-03-2006, 06:42 AM
"If" I was to take the time to walk into the scale bar I would pack in a case of a beer rather than take fishing gear, that place is pure entertainmet the fights the yelling and screaming. I know a dozen places I can fish and NOT be crowded

greybark
08-03-2006, 08:26 PM
couldn't agree more PG, however some may call me a hypicrite, since i "floss" springs on the fraser. but i use a 5-6ft. leader or less, not the 10-15 footer thaht 90% of other bottom bouncers on the fraser use.

:confused: Flyinghigh , Your concept of flossing for Springs (THAT BITE) with a 5-6ft leader is still FLOSSING which you condem or don`t condem I am confused ., Most people I know and myself use Bar Rigs for Springs . When fishing Steelhead in the Vedder I use a 18-24in leader .
:wink: My Wife and I spent over 7 hrs and after a lot of hard work came home with two nice sockeye . Six more and that will be enough to can and will last a whole year .
:wink: PGKris , Since Sockeye rarely bite Flossing for them is considered a Harvest and not so much a fishery . so get off that high horse of yours . If you heard the joy of young kids getting their first fish and the excitement of the many family groups perhaps you would not be so harsh with your opinions .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

PGKris
08-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Sorry man. There are plenty of ways for kids to catch their first fish without snagging a sockeye. It's not fishing in my eyes.

mark
08-03-2006, 10:22 PM
well im going to hope this weekend to snag my share! mmmmmm

Silent Wolf
08-03-2006, 10:41 PM
As I have posted on Huntshoot how can you have ethics to fish this style to me it is just the legal way to snag. Every fish you hook is on the underside of the mouth or the hook is on the outside of the head.

I myself will not take part in this fishery, I have to much respect to the fish then to snag them.

15 foot leaders and a 3oz ball rolling down the river feel a bump and rip, what fun is that. Then you get guys that have there two sockeyes but still want to try for a Spring by Snagging aka Flossing, but every cast still hooking sockeyes.

If you are going to take part in this fishery get your two fish and go home or change the style of fishing as hooking Sockeyes and letting them go is doing nothing but harmming them and adding way to much stress on them that they don't really need.

I just wish DFO will fallow up and close this style of fishing as people are now going to other rivers and thinking it is ok to Floss away. To when I tangle a Flosser his line gets cut easy as that.

Good is it no one has ethics anymore:confused: :confused: If i need a fish that bad i would go to the fish market and buy one.

There are better fish out there to eat then Sockeye over ratted in my eyes.

If going better get out there soon as if DFO gets word that it is getting ugly with the MEAT FISHERY IT WILL BE CLOSED DOWN LIKE IN THE PAST WITH THE STABBING OUT AT SCALE BAR OR THE PUNCH UPS THAT HAPPEN WITH THIS FISHERY.

SW:eek: ;)

greybark
08-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey Silent Wolf , I agree - get your two fish then leave . It would be quite hard to change methods of catching sockeye when 17 million fish go by and wont bite , Only the Native fishery would be successfull.
:cry: I don`t appreciate fishing this way but given the choice of no sockeye or this ,I like my canned sockeye.
We take our boat and fish on quiet little bars ,Tougher to get fish but worth it.

Phred
08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
I'll fish the out of the way bars away from the gong show crowd. I don't use a boat, but I do walk about 45 minutes to get to my secluded spots.
People use 15 foot leaders? I've never seen one that long, most seem to be about 8 feet and I use about 6 feet. I agree that you should switch your setup for springs or go home after you get your two fish.
I don't see much difference between eating a gill net caught sockeye over a "flossed " sockeye.

mark
08-05-2006, 07:35 AM
I know the difference, ita way more fun to floss em and reel em in! Im heading down there today!!! i too will be in the boat, to avoid the crowds!

lip_ripper00
08-05-2006, 11:15 AM
I went out Thursday afternoon, got out bout 4:30 snagged my first sockeye about 6:30 and landed the second just before dark.was'nt a lot of fish but still nice to get out. I camped out on the bar Thurs night. Friday morning I heard the first boat on the river about 4:00am coming up the river no running lights nothing. (we where seeing a lot of large trees floating down the river the day before) Waited for daylight and started again landed the first about 7:00 and as luck would have it I hooked a spring about 15 lbs shortly after 10:00 awsome chrome fish! picked up 2nd sock about noon and left. As for fishing from a boat to avoid the crowds good luck, I counted 40 boats in "tin can alley" when I left. SW I can assure you fisheries is monitering the river pretty closely, the guy fishing beside me is a fish cop;) cheers. Steve

abbyfireguy
08-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Flossing for now is legal on the Fraser, get over it guys.....I would be happier if DFO would be mor efirm and put in regulations like 2 sockeye caught,switch to bar set-up or go home,similar to steelhead fishing where you kill a steelhead your done on that waterway for the day.....
Went out last night for a couple of hours, no socks so anchored up and fished from the boat..Nice and relaxing sitting waiting until this little fish decides to take a crack at my offering...

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/gallery/d/1149-2/P1010044.JPG

lip_ripper00
08-06-2006, 03:16 PM
THAT is a beautiful fish, nice going!

NEEHAMA
08-08-2006, 11:54 AM
HA HA I LOVE IT! i will floss socks until they close ! i love it! fishing is "fun" but flossing is my fav! lot's of action. very productive. i wait all year for this opening, yee ha.

FlyingHigh
08-08-2006, 02:53 PM
i don't condemn flossing, because i happen to do it on occasion to help dad fill the freezer. i don't eat fish so i'm kinda biased against sockeye cause they're small salmon and i haven't found them to be particularly good fighters. as to flossing the springs, i do it cause i don't like bar fishing alot. i find bar fishing rather boring, and prefering flyfishing as my primary fishing method, i can't get used to the massive rods and 20+ ounce weights. when i floss the springs, i use a lighter rod, max. 3 ounce weight, 5 ft leader and a 4/0 hook with a spin'n'glow and roe. and that's rare that i'll do that. more often i'll just go to the veder and float fish or fly fish. i just don't like the gong show that the fraser becomes and the way some people take their sockeye way too seriously. catching fish is a bonus. fishing is the fun part. to each his own. :D

Islandeer
08-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Great posts fellahs, I like catching and eating Sock's too, though i do it in the Alberni canal. It gets a little gongy there too at times. We get them on hootchies and other concoctions. I am curious, what is flossing?!!:shock:

Silent Wolf
08-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Good going guys, fill them frezzers as them Sockeyes are nothing more then meat.

Since she has been open for a few days now, I can see DFO closeing her down next weekend..... Lets see how good I am:grin: In years past I have been right on the money:-D :twisted: Good to hear the Fish Cops are out there:grin:

Nice springs guys.

SW

Silent Wolf
08-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Islander,

Flossing is using a leader the length of your rod and some, people use shorter some ever longer depends on how good you are at casting. They have like a round mooching weight on a three way swivel. Cast it out as far as you can get it, then let it bounce along the bottom of the river. To when you feel a bump you rip, most offen you hook the fish either on the under side of the mouth or on the outer part of the mouth around the maxizeril (sp). Since the fish are opening and closing there mouths the line goes through there mouths. They aren't bitting at all, yet Sockeye's bit like a Mother in Salt.

This is how you get the term Flossing, or the other term they like to hear over flossing is Bottom Bounceing as some call it. Either way it is the legal form of snagging a fish. Wonder what DFO would say if I started to use the Coast Salish Fly when I go out fishing?? Tribble hook and lead wrapped around the trebble's shank??

SW

Islandeer
08-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks Silent Wolf! I am enlightened.:-o

abbyfireguy
08-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Don't think you will see sockeye shut down yet..The large run has not even entered the Fraser yet...The smaller runs have been through and we are just waiting for the flood of the large run......Hope the spawning grounds are ready for this .....
You probably will see some commercial openings,unlike last year where the net guys got screwed....

NEEHAMA
08-10-2006, 10:14 AM
i was out this am before work. still a little slow for us. we snagged one fat sockeye before we had to head to work at 7:30am. makes for a long sleepy day at work i tell ya. can't wait for the "big run". another week or two and it should really pick up.:lol:

lip_ripper00
08-10-2006, 10:38 AM
I am heading out this afternoon test sets a few days ago indicate a good sized run entered the river, will let ya know

Gateholio
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Looks awesome:eek:

I couldn't think of anywhere I would rather be

:wink:

http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/membergallery/data/500/459DSC03491.JPG

http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/membergallery/data/500/459DSC03493.JPG

NEEHAMA
08-10-2006, 12:49 PM
yikes! where the heck is that?.. good to have a boat to avoid that maddness!

MB_Boy
08-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Nice and cozy!! :wink: Don't forget to "love thy neighbour"!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2977&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent

I hope this works for my first time posting a pic!!:oops:

Crap! Can someone help me out or tell me what I did wrong?

Gateholio
08-10-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/SockeyeFishingBig.jpg

MB_Boy
08-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks Clarke!!

Silent Wolf
08-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Welcome to BC's biggest GONG SHOW..... THE MEAT FISHERY ON THE FRASER RIVER.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sw

NEEHAMA
08-10-2006, 04:30 PM
get a boat, no gong on the water.

greybark
08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
:redface: Hooked up the boat trailer to the truck and was on the Fraser by 11:00 . We anchored away from the Gong show , Started to rig up the rods and noticed i forgot the Ice and Tackle Box . Scrounged up two old 6ft leaders from the floor of the boat and in under 1 1/2 hours we limited out . My wife with her short casts outfished me and I am now looking for Trama Counselling.