PDA

View Full Version : Goose opens next month!

Ian F.
08-01-2006, 08:07 AM
So what's on your to do list before early goose opens?

Anyone chasing doves, snipe, Bandtails or any of the other feathered creatures that open in Sept?

I have to finish getting settled and start doing some exploring, and make a bunch of silhouettes up.

Very best,

Ian

kishman
08-01-2006, 08:34 AM
This is my first Goose season, I've been shooting clays all summer (ok and the odd crow;-) ) to pattern my shotguns different chokes. I seem to like improved cylinder the best so far for wingshooting. Other than that it's all scouting for me, I don't know anyone who hunts here in the Valley/Lower Mainland, so this month I'm going to check out all the legal (public) spots on the special area map and see what might work for me.

Good luck all

BlacktailStalker
08-01-2006, 01:45 PM
I saw a flock of 100 or so fly over the field I hunt yesterday. A good sign since geese doesnt open here until the 15th of sept I believe.

LeverActionJunkie
08-01-2006, 05:30 PM
I would love to do some dove, and snipe hunting but I've never seen a snipe that I am aware of. Where do you find em? Seen loads of doves in the states and in Manitoba, and once heard some calling around Kamloops here. How do you find huntable populations around here? I'm almost wondering if these regs are fiction or what;)

Ian F.
08-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Snipe shooting is tons of fun, but can be exhausting. In the maritimes I'd walk the back part of marshes after duck shooting and jump them up. They make an "awck" sound when flushed. The rule is, if you flushed it from water don't shoot, it aint a snipe! If you flush from the grass and get the "awck" get on em quick cause #7 steel don't go far!

As for doves, I just see you can shoot them in the regs. This is my first year hunting in BC so it's all learning to me!

Ian

rbduck
08-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Sept1st is the start of our week long youth hunt and also Sandhill Crane season. Regular waterfowl season opens on the 8th of Sept until Nov 30th. By then, no self respecting waterfowl is still around by then as it is usually in the -20s/30s by then.

Ron:biggrin:

CNE
08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
There are tons of doves in the north okanagan. The corn fields are full of them.

CanAm500
08-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Im planning to use my 77/22 this year for grouse. It will be my first time using a .22 instead of a 20 gauge.

Ian F.
08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
I doubt this year is a possibility for me, but I can surely see chasing doves one the horizon! THey are supposed to be one tough target to hit and I know from experience they are tastey! Had BBQ'd whitewings (southern U.S./Mexico species) at a fellow in the states house once. Only thing is you need "a mess" of them to make a good feed.

Not sure about the grouse here yet, but when I was in Northern Ontario they where called "chickens" and a head shot with a .22 was the way to go! One tip I can give is to use solids as a low shot with a hollow point makes one hell of a mess! Oh, and just wait till they stop flappng unless you want to look like something from a CSI crime scene!

Myself I'm slowly getting unpacked and settled and hope to do some "location" scouting in the next few weeks.

Won't be long..

Ian

Dano
08-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Ian,
I have an area up in the fraser valley that looks promising for the sept opener. We should get together and check it out in the next few weeks.
Dano