PDA

View Full Version : Pearson bow

partsman
07-31-2006, 11:05 PM
I have had an old recurve bow for probably 20 or so years now, it is marked "Ben Pearson Collegian 7064"

Also has on it the following info:
67630-51
AMO,-64"
40#-28"
USA

I know the 40# is for pounds of pull, but what does the rest mean, and is this a good bow for hunting, or is it more for target use.
Any value in these old ones?
I was curious how to determine the length of arrow it should use.
I would like to buy some practise ones first.

Fred
08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Just for starters, that 28 is the length of draw and that sort of determines the length of your arrows. Fred

brotherjack
08-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Just about any archery shop will have a setup so you can find your draw length. Ask the archery shop a lot of questions, and listen up. Everything from the spine of the arrow to the nocking position will affect accuracy, and they can give you a much better inside scoop on all that than I can.

40# at 28" sounds pretty light for a hunting bow to me. Not outside the realm of possibility, but most guys I've met who hunt with a recurve tend to start around 50 pounds and go up from there.

A recurve is not like a compound bow - you can pull it to whatever your draw length is - you do not need it fitted to you. However, if you have a shorter draw length, the draw weight will come in under 40 pounds (and therefore be too light to hunt with legally in BC). If you have a draw length over 28" inches, then the draw weight will go up higher than the listed 40 pounds. Again, a archery shop can help you out on this.

No idea about value or any of that.

bsa30-06
08-01-2006, 11:59 AM
40#-28" means 40 pound pull at 28" of draw length, 40# draw wieght is the minimum required for hunting legally.
64" refers to the length of the bow.
67630-51 i believe would be the serial#.
Partsman i know the guys over at boormans would be able to get you completely set up with what ever your looking for.

Monashee
08-03-2006, 09:45 PM
In BC the law states that a bow must pull at least 40 lbs within the archers draw length for hunting everything except Bison then you need a 50 lb bow

40 lbs is plenty for deer, within 20 yards and a decent weight arrow of 10 grains per pound with a two blade cut on contact broadhead. Sharp arrows have a great deal of penetration.

Eagle1
08-04-2006, 12:25 AM
I have had an old recurve bow for probably 20 or so years now, it is marked "Ben Pearson Collegian 7064"

Also has on it the following info:
67630-51
AMO,-64"
40#-28"
USA

I know the 40# is for pounds of pull, but what does the rest mean, and is this a good bow for hunting, or is it more for target use.
Any value in these old ones?
I was curious how to determine the length of arrow it should use.
I would like to buy some practise ones first.

First off, check to make sure there is no cracks or the limbs are delaminating or twisted,the string is okay, the bow is proable more than 20 years old and it dependes how well it was stored.Won't want to see you getting hurt if the limbs broke.If your unsure as what to look for, take it to a repputuable shop { Boorman's} to get it checked.
Serial #, string length, 40# at 28 inches of draw.
If you draw 28" a 2016 aluminium will do fine, if you draw more a 2018 will also work., but you will need a minimum of 40# at your draw to hunt with.
I now a couple of guys with a pearson recurve and they shoot real nice.
Good luck and happy shooting.
Go to the Pearson web site and e-mail them, they could proable tell you how old it is.