PDA

View Full Version : To Log In or Not to?

Jagermeister
04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Is it just me, or are others finding that you have to log in to access pages that were previously readable without logging in? Not all the pages are inaccessable, but there are more than there were before.
I know that some are in favour of having to log in. Personally, I sometimes just like to read the posts and will log in whenever a topic piques my interest.

04-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Not just you,,,, me too.

Gateholio
04-20-2011, 10:15 AM
You need to log in from now on. You can keep yourself logged in by ticking the "keep me logged in" box by your name and password. Then, whenever you open HBC, you will be logged in. As long as your personal computer allows it.

MB_Boy
04-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Just a dumb question Jager......why wouldn't you want to be logged in???

KB90
04-20-2011, 10:32 AM
FYI you can set up "invisible mode" and that way you can be logged and no one can see when you are.

Steeleco
04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
The change was made to reduce the lurkers and spammers that wreak havoc with the site behind the scenes. Do as Gatehouse suggest and you'll be good. At work I always log in manually so nobody can log in as me when I'm not there.

Gateholio
04-20-2011, 10:53 AM
FYI you can set up "invisible mode" and that way you can be logged and no one can see when you are.

Admins and mods can see you, invisible mode, non invisible mode, logged on or not logged in......Resistance is futile...;)

KB90
04-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Admins and mods can see you, invisible mode, non invisible mode, logged on or not logged in......Resistance is futile...;)

hahaha well your average joe can't see you, although I don't understand why people want to be "invisible"

I noticed a lot of the "popular and knowledgeable" members are in stealth mode. I wonder why....

CanuckShooter
04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
hahaha well your average joe can't see you, although I don't understand why people want to be "invisible"

I noticed a lot of the "popular and knowledgeable" members are in stealth mode. I wonder why....

Why are you even looking? Who cares?? The more mysterious you are the more interesting you are??? I notice you won't even tell us where you live??? I wonder what your hiding???? ;-)

Caveman
04-20-2011, 11:54 AM

We all stalk you Kyle, there is no hiding!!! :wink:

Marc
04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Since I made some forums not able to view two days ago we've gained over 100 new registered members in that two day period. Why allow non registered non contributing viewers to leach information from the sites using up bandwidth? It's free to register and you can use invisible mode if you don't like beIng seen online when you're supposed to be working:mrgreen:

KB90
04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Why are you even looking? Who cares??
I often use it to see when the person was last online, ie: if they have read a private message.
I also prefer to PM when members are online so you can have somewhat of a conversation. Not 3 days of back and forth hit and miss.

The more mysterious you are the more interesting you are???
Disagree. I would much rather know a person for who they are not some internet personality. I've met quite a few guys from this site now, and I can tell you they are all a lot more interesting then "jelvis" :)

I notice you won't even tell us where you live??? I wonder what your hiding???? ;-)
No secrets here, I live in Quesnel. It would take about 2 seconds to find that out.

Kody94
04-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Since I made some forums not able to view two days ago we've gained over 100 new registered members in that two day period. Why allow non registered non contributing viewers to leach information from the sites using up bandwidth? It's free to register and you can use invisible mode if you don't like beIng seen online when you're supposed to be working:mrgreen:

I understand the change, and its a good thing overall.

I did like to be able to browse without logging in, however, so that I could keep track of all the threads that have been active since my last log-in. When I only have a few minutes to kill, I'd open up the site and just check out "Today's active posts" while not logged in. Then, later when I had more time, I'd log in and browse all "New Posts' so I wouldn't miss anything.

Since I can't do that, I don't/won't come check things out here nearly as often and will just wait 'til I have time. Will probably make my employer happy. :)

d6dan
04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
For logging in I use Norton "Identity safe". It remembers my info and puts it in every time to log in..easy as 123. You can set it up any way you want..No big deal and its quick.

04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
KB,

I go stealth mode because i spend alot of time

KB90
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
hahaha well that makes sense. You should probably delete your post now. It's evidence.

04-20-2011, 02:45 PM
thanks!!! haha

Jagermeister
04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I understand the change, and its a good thing overall.

I did like to be able to browse without logging in, however, so that I could keep track of all the threads that have been active since my last log-in. When I only have a few minutes to kill, I'd open up the site and just check out "Today's active posts" while not logged in. Then, later when I had more time, I'd log in and browse all "New Posts' so I wouldn't miss anything.

Since I can't do that, I don't/won't come check things out here nearly as often and will just wait 'til I have time. Will probably make my employer happy. :)Me too, except I don't have an employer monitoring "his time" anymore!

Johnnybear
04-20-2011, 08:28 PM
I like the new set up and IMHO is long overdue. Good call Marc.

Marc
04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
It may be an inconvenience to some but I think for the most part it is for the good of the membership.

It also acts like a tease to those who see the tittles but can't see the content. They see how many people are logged in and going through the forums and I think this will encourage them to join the site and hopefully participate in the forums. We've gained another 30 registered members just today alone and 110 new members in the past 3 days.

Johnnybear
04-20-2011, 10:22 PM
It may be an inconvenience to some but I think for the most part it is for the good of the membership.

It also acts like a tease to those who see the tittles but can't see the content. They see how many people are logged in and going through the forums and I think this will encourage them to join the site and hopefully participate in the forums. We've gained another 30 registered members just today alone and 110 new members in the past 3 days.

All good news for the site. Thanks Marc.

Marc
05-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I know some didn't like the idea of having to login to see certain forums but it has helped immensely in determining where the spam was being generated from and has cut down on unnecessary usage of resources that is now being enjoyed by the registered users.

Did it make a difference to get lurkers to register? Well in the month of April alone we got a record 563 newly registered members after weeding through it all. I've managed to stop a lot of foreign spam from hitting the servers and it's cut the work of trying to process over 400 new memberships to a little over a hundred per day now and I expect that to drop as well as I weed out the remaining countries that are sending spam. We'll get the odd one that will slip through the cracks but so far it's been pretty good.

Anyone notice the website getting faster in the past 24 hours?

Marc.

lip_ripper00
05-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I find that annoying pause when you first click to a thread gone!