PDA

View Full Version : Large Halibut showing up off shore Bamfield

NeverTheSameThingOnce
07-31-2006, 12:40 PM
I just returned from Bamfield yesterday, and I have never seen such large halibut coming in from the 5 and 7 mile banks. We usually see hali's up to 30 pounds, but over the weekend we saw 10 fish 50 pounds and over with the largest three tipping the scales up to 80 pounds.:shock:

For those of you that spend some time off shore of Bamfield these are large fish in my experience. The guides are gitty. The fish were taking lures and bait presented in any fashion (trolled and jigged). Our largest was 51 pounds with about 6 more in the twenties.

The coho were absolutely nuts out at 20 mile bank, all 10 to 15 pounds attacking any lure at any depth (which is large this time of year as well). We had a lot of fun trolling spoons in the prop wash with a three ounce slide weight. However the coho were mostly found in the fish 100 feet of water. The springs were starting to show up inside and off shore as well, saw a few at the dock in the high 20's and low 30's.

Anyways get out there and nail yourself a nice hali.

sam

Johnnybear
08-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Awesome report. I'm heading out on the long weekend for a couple of days. I can't wait. Haven't been out enought this year. I heard guys out at 25 mile are catching their limit of every species in about an hour and a half. I love this time of year!!!

Bullmoose
08-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Just came back from Port Renfrew, we limited on Halibut but all small "chickens" around 15 to 20 pounds, some cod and one nice spring. The Coho were right on the surface but not too interested in what we had to offer

bushape
08-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Sounds encouraging! We're heading to the 7 mile reef this Sat. Hope we have your luck!

mark
08-01-2006, 05:11 PM
ill be down there on the 15th for 4 days cant wait!! :grin:

Jager
08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Okay....I've got a chance to go on the 5th...hope were the swells/weather?

NeverTheSameThingOnce
08-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Okay....I've got a chance to go on the 5th...hope were the swells/weather?

The weather is so unpredictable, We listen to the VHF forecast for the off shore Buoy reports, but we always check it with our own two eyes, first at Whittlestone where you get the first sense of what the water will be like then again about 1 mile off Beal, and if it looks manageable we go for it.

Our trip last week we had spectacular water and weather, but who knows this week or next.

sam

NeverTheSameThingOnce
08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
I keep forgetting, I will post pictures as soon as my buddy gets them downloaded off his camera.

sam