PDA

View Full Version : Red tide

sealevel
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
i very seldem watch TV . a friend told me today there was a mager red tide is this true. he saw it on the news.

lip_ripper00
07-24-2006, 09:58 PM
I think your safe in Salmon Arm.:mrgreen: I haven't heard anything yet, but with all the hot weather I would'nt dought a healthy plankton bloom has taken place

shoot to kill
07-24-2006, 10:18 PM
It was in the Province newspaper about a month ago, there is a huge red tide bloom across the coast. It is best to check the fisheries notification to find out the affected areas.

sealevel
07-25-2006, 06:14 AM
ya not much redtide in salmon arm but i am heading to barkley sound next week. i camp on gebrawlter island there`s a big oster bed on it.

MB_Boy
07-25-2006, 08:14 AM
sealevel......you may want to check on the DFO website to see what you can find. I remember the warning back in late June but for some reason I didn't think it applied to the outside of the island? :confused: ignore my "memory"....links are below.

But.......do not quote me or blame me if you nibble on some oysters over there and your lips go numb. :redface: :wink:

Actually....just looked it up and here are some links for you.

home page
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ops/fm/shellfish/biotoxins/closures/default_e.htm

PSP closures
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ops/fm/shellfish/biotoxins/closures/pspclosures_e.htm

Sanitary Closures
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ops/fm/shellfish/biotoxins/closures/sanitary_e.htm

Kind of looks like you should be dropping a crab or prawn trap.:wink:

Have a good trip though!

3kills
07-25-2006, 08:36 AM
sealevel...dont eat oysters in months that done have an r in them....

MB_Boy
07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey Darcy.....I think you have that backwards? ;-)

Shhh.........unless you are trying to mess with sealevel? 8)

3kills
07-25-2006, 08:41 AM
oops i ment to say dont eat oysters that dont have an r in them sorry still sleepin hit the e instead of the t lol

Ozone
07-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Dont mess with it. It can and does kill people every year. Call the PSP Hotline (604) 666-2828 for the latest update

Ian F.
07-25-2006, 10:30 AM
PSP is nasty nasty stuff, don't mess with it, know you are 110% SAFE!

As for the months with R stuff that is based on European oysters which have a far different life cycle then any of the north american varieties. You can eat an oyster any month of the year and they taste fine!

The only difference to note is that in the cooler winter months the oysters are more meaty as they are not interested in sex and don't have any energy focusing on that. In the warmer month this changes to the texture (not the taste) changes as well.

Also note that PSP affects bivalves (clams, oysters, mussels) and DOES NOT affect either crabs nor prawns..

Very best,

Ian

BlacktailStalker
07-25-2006, 11:15 AM
The oyster rule of months with "R" in it isnt true. Many an oldtimer will attest to that.

MichelD
07-25-2006, 01:43 PM
In my opinion they just taste bad in the summer anyway.

3kills
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
well i just took my meat cuttin course and we had to learn about sea food and in our readin...wich came from canadian fisheries the rule if the month with a R in it is true....the months with out R's are the months they mate and its also the months that the red tide is bad...and like it was said before it can and will kill people...

sealevel
07-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Where the water is still and warm like someplaces on the inside the months without an r rule might aply but on the west coast the water dont change much so i have allways eat the osters out there in the summer. but not if there is a red tide.

abbyfireguy
07-28-2006, 10:20 PM
THe red tide bloom last month was the worst fisheries had seen in decades ..Be very careful when eating bivalve mollusks....PSP is very very unfriendly to the human body....